The Student Room Group

Have you got a British accent?

Scroll to see replies

aura1947
Haha.

I've tried imitating a 'standard' British accent. Apparently you have to talk like you've got a plum on your tongue. lmao.

no
just avoid a corner shop accent

it works both ways
the asian representation is bigger on TSR than real life

so go outside you flaming racist
Reply 41
I have midlands farmer accent but i want to talk more posh or at least more london (not cockney).
Yes. But I am British :wink:
Reply 43
no biggie
Haha, no mate :biggrin: I know you have got lots of different accents and dialects :smile:
It's just the lack of British television/films that makes it hard where as I hear American all the time.
But I can actually do an Indian accent, what's up with that? :p:

Indian accents sound like Welsh people speaking English.:biggrin:
Yes, I came here when I was little so no wonder.
Where are you from though?
Reply 45
i disagree that you can't pick up an accent after the age of about 8. i don't know if it's a fact but you do adjust the way you speak in a foreign language when you're in the environment.
I've been here at uni for almost two years now. In my first year most people thought i was either american or canadian (?) since that's the kind of english you mostly hear (films, music, even at school) but this year they're mostly just confused. From what my friends say, apparently now i have a sort of a generic english accent that you can't place anywhere. others say that i've picked up a weird mix of the various accents that my friends have - london/birmingham/cambridge/manchester. who knows? i know i'll always have a slight foreign accent and that doesn't bother me at all :h:
Reply 46
The grammar in the thread title is appalling.
Reply 47
Lundunner :p:
I done gotten a English accent.
Reply 49
laurand
i disagree that you can't pick up an accent after the age of about 8. i don't know if it's a fact but you do adjust the way you speak in a foreign language when you're in the environment.
I've been here at uni for almost two years now. In my first year most people thought i was either american or canadian (?) since that's the kind of english you mostly hear (films, music, even at school) but this year they're mostly just confused. From what my friends say, apparently now i have a sort of a generic english accent that you can't place anywhere. others say that i've picked up a weird mix of the various accents of my friends - london/birmingham/cambridge/manchester. who knows? i know i'll always have a slight foreign accent and that doesn't bother me at all :h:

Well, the reading I have done suggests that having a "genuine" second language accent is quite difficult once past the age of about 8. Perhaps up to the age of puberty(which increasingly happens earlier these days) this trend continues but thereafter it becomes more challenging.

Adjusting one's accent is not the same as acquiring the accent of a native speaker.

You can master grammar, spelling, punctuation and everything else about a language but pronunciation/accent is quite a different story.

I've often wondered about Charlize Theron and her American accent. I think she switches it on and off, like people switch on a "posh" voice when answering the phone.:biggrin:

It's not a criticism of her, or the way she speaks. We all modify our language and vocabulary depending on whom we are addressing.... it's just an observation.:smile:
Reply 50
I had a thick Irish accent when I moved here about 10 years ago,and now have a completely southern accent.
Would never ever be able to tell I wasn't from the home counties :emo:
Reply 51
Heather with the Weather
I got the Scottish one. :smile:

I am deeply sorry for you
Beanz123
I am deeply sorry for you

I'm sorry you felt you had to make that comment. :smile:
Reply 53
Heather with the Weather
I'm sorry you felt you had to make that comment. :smile:

And I am sorry YOU felt you had to make a comment on my irrelevent comment. Ha
Reply 54
Apparently I have a really posh Surrey accent.
Yet I feel the older I'm getting, the more I'm beginning to talk like a typical British Asian :p:
I moved to London from Germany about 5 years ago, and my accent is confused. Apparently its a mix of english, american and german, so basically its horrible.
Because I act I have to put on an english accent for certain parts. I struggeled for a long time, but have gotten better with the right training. Still doesnt sound good enough for me, but others say its gotten better.

Overall, I like my mixed up accent, and dont want to lose it :smile:
Unrelated Incidents
i've got a london accent
Beanz123
And I am sorry YOU felt you had to make a comment on my irrelevent comment. Ha

I'm sorry you felt sorry you had to make a comment on my comment on your irrelevant comment. :p:
Reply 59
I have a slight Yorkshire accent :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest