The Student Room Group

Any help with Turkish GCSE’s

Hi guys I’m fluent in Turkish and have added it to do in my gcses I would say I’m very good in speaking, writing and listening I general but only thing is with the accents on letters and was wondering if anyone who does the gcse or anyone who has any Turkish apps could give me a few to use to help with my Turkish. I have Duolingo but it’s a bit basic for me and I tend to get bored from it as it teaches me stuff I know from a young age so if anyone knows any websites free or apps let me know would be a huge help.

Scroll to see replies

I don't know much about the Turkish language, but honestly, it sounds like you've got the majority of the difficult stuff covered if you're just struggling with written accents. I wouldn't recommend Duolingo; as you said, it's quite basic and repetitive, also not that great for learning grammar thoroughly. Accents on letters are just something you will need to learn off by heart and memorise, and keep testing yourself on (easier said than done of course). With a quick google search, I found this website: https://fluentinturkish.com/grammar/circumflex - maybe it will be of some use? I wouldn't recommend apps for something this specific as this. I'd just recommend finding websites that explain the written accents, and then you should make a note of them. Then use flashcards/a flashcard app to test yourself everyday. Keep writing them and use examples so you can make connections with whole words rather than just the letters. I hope this makes sense. Good luck!
Reply 2
Thank you I will check this website out and I agree I guess I should just practice, practice and practice. I use the Turkish keyboard on my phone as well when texting in Turkish so it corrects me and adds the accents which I think does help as well.
I will advise to find yourself a tutor as you need to do writing and translation as well and you can't improve those skills without being checked.
Reply 4
Hi I am fluent and can translate write and speak it quite well my sisters didn’t even revise till the month came and they got A and one got a B but she never did any revision and I’m better than them in the language and yet till this day they struggle to read Turkish and I’m younger and can easily write and read. It’s just the accents which sometimes confuse me but I’m getting the hang of it as I’ve also got the Turkish keyboard which corrects me which helps me to remember.
Original post by Hailey629
Hi I am fluent and can translate write and speak it quite well my sisters didn’t even revise till the month came and they got A and one got a B but she never did any revision and I’m better than them in the language and yet till this day they struggle to read Turkish and I’m younger and can easily write and read. It’s just the accents which sometimes confuse me but I’m getting the hang of it as I’ve also got the Turkish keyboard which corrects me which helps me to remember.

The exam board is changed and so is the content. It was easy when OCR was doing the exam but now Edexcel took it over.
Another thing to note is writing is not just about how you spell it.
Reply 6
They did their gcses only 3-4 years ago and I’m not sure what exam board my Turkish gcses are I was going to receive some past papers just before schools closed so couldn’t receive them to see how they would be like. Are all the gcses for Turkish edexcel?
They did their gcses only 3-4 years ago and I’m not sure what exam board my Turkish gcses are I was going to receive some past papers just before schools closed so couldn’t receive them to see how they would be like. Are all the gcses for Turkish edexcel?

Hailey you really sound like you need some help, as first of all you won’t get any past papers from school because there’s no past papers. Edexcel was supposed to carry out the first examination in Summer 2020 which you know was cancelled. But there’s sample assessment materials which you can easily access through their website no need to wait for the school to provide it for you.
Reply 8
Okay I will check out the sample papers. The only reason I don’t know some information as well is because I only added my language into my gcse options in like November and we don’t get any lessons and stuff on it as well as you may know. But thank you
Just some general modern language tips for GCSE - (I got a grade 9 in French and an 8 in Spanish) - you really want to make sure you know the vocabulary and know how to incorporate it into your writing. I know of a few native speakers who took their language at GCSE and they struggled a bit, not because of the language, but because of how the mark scheme is.

You need to easily be able to use complex sentences structures like "on the other hand" and "whereas". When you can, for your speaking examination for example, use a variety of tenses when answering a question. Use the past, present and future. You can also add in one or two subjunctives to reach the higher levels. If you're unfamiliar with what the subjunctive is (I'm assuming you'll be used to using it), this is what I mean: https://turkishteatime.com/turkish-grammar-guide/subjunctive/#:~:text=The%20subjunctive%20expresses%20wishes%20and,similar%20roles%20in%20modern%20Turkish.

I think the listening and reading elements should be quite easy for you if you are engaging with the language everyday? But you should still do some practice exercises and have your teacher mark them for you.

Although this may not be the exam board or the non-updated version of the specification, you can still have a look over it as it will be helpful and likely most of it will be the same as in the updated version. Have a look at the grammar list and vocabulary lists. Then practice writing out some sentences using those phrases. Here's the link: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/Turkish/2018/Specification-and-sample-assessments/specification-gcse-turkish-2018.pdf

It sounds like you are confident with the language. Just remember to go by the specification. Just because you're fluent does not mean you'll be able to easily gain every mark - you need to understand how to achieve them all and what to include in your answers. Examiners love complex phrases and high-level vocabulary, not just adjectives like "good" or "bad" (obviously the Turkish equivalents).

Sorry I wrote a lot. Sınavında başarılar dilerim !
Reply 10
Hi thank you for the tips and links I will check them out the thing with our Turkish gcses are that we don’t have any lessons for it as most of the time only the fluent students study the gcse as you don’t get any help really and no lessons the only time is when a examiner comes in to mark your speaking and then you sit all the paper exams therefore I don’t think I could get my teachers to mark it as I doubt any of them know Turkish. Teşekkürler!
Hi thank you for the tips and links I will check them out the thing with our Turkish gcses are that we don’t have any lessons for it as most of the time only the fluent students study the gcse as you don’t get any help really and no lessons the only time is when a examiner comes in to mark your speaking and then you sit all the paper exams therefore I don’t think I could get my teachers to mark it as I doubt any of them know Turkish. Teşekkürler!

I think the best thing to do in this situation then is to either find yourself a GCSE Turkish language tutor online or you may just have to mark them yourself but you really need to be strict with yourself and follow the mark scheme closely. So write your answers for the exercises, then check to see if you got them right or wrong. Don't give yourself a mark for a question that you didn't really get correct. The mark schemes should be pretty clear so it should be easy enough for you to follow. Whenever you make a mistake, try to understand why it was wrong (you can use GCSE Turkish resources online to help) and then keep learning it so you get it correct next time.

Honestly it sounds like you will be fine. Make flashcards for those accents on letters because these can make the difference in achieving the mark or not in the reading and writing paper. I assume you'll be taking the higher tier paper and not foundation?
Original post by studygirl388
Just some general modern language tips for GCSE - (I got a grade 9 in French and an 8 in Spanish) - you really want to make sure you know the vocabulary and know how to incorporate it into your writing. I know of a few native speakers who took their language at GCSE and they struggled a bit, not because of the language, but because of how the mark scheme is.

You need to easily be able to use complex sentences structures like "on the other hand" and "whereas". When you can, for your speaking examination for example, use a variety of tenses when answering a question. Use the past, present and future. You can also add in one or two subjunctives to reach the higher levels. If you're unfamiliar with what the subjunctive is (I'm assuming you'll be used to using it), this is what I mean: https://turkishteatime.com/turkish-grammar-guide/subjunctive/#:~:text=The%20subjunctive%20expresses%20wishes%20and,similar%20roles%20in%20modern%20Turkish.

I think the listening and reading elements should be quite easy for you if you are engaging with the language everyday? But you should still do some practice exercises and have your teacher mark them for you.

Although this may not be the exam board or the non-updated version of the specification, you can still have a look over it as it will be helpful and likely most of it will be the same as in the updated version. Have a look at the grammar list and vocabulary lists. Then practice writing out some sentences using those phrases. Here's the link: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/Turkish/2018/Specification-and-sample-assessments/specification-gcse-turkish-2018.pdf

It sounds like you are confident with the language. Just remember to go by the specification. Just because you're fluent does not mean you'll be able to easily gain every mark - you need to understand how to achieve them all and what to include in your answers. Examiners love complex phrases and high-level vocabulary, not just adjectives like "good" or "bad" (obviously the Turkish equivalents).

Sorry I wrote a lot. Sınavında başarılar dilerim !

Well said!

Yes Turkish is a community language and only a few schools having a lot of students taking Turkish GCSE will offer to teach it at school. In that case, you need to find yourself a private tutor as you’re a private candidate. Like it’s mentioned above understanding and being able to speak fluently in the language is quite different from sitting an exam. Also it’s a great opportunity to improve your already existing skills which may open up some job opportunities in the future. Good luck with it and if you need any help you can get in touch with me as I’m highly experienced.
Reply 14
Hi thank you and yes I think around 15-20% of our school is Turkish they are the most amount of students other than British I think and usually the fluent students do it like me and my friend are doing it together so we could probably help each other out but we aren’t that close. I will definitely do more writing and focus on the accents and maybe buy a Turkish dictionary. Thanks everyone for your help
Reply 15
Hi, I am Turkish. Do you still need help in Turkish?I would offer you a friend who wants to give private lessons for GCSE Turkish.
Reply 16
Hi yes I still am doing Turkish but I don’t think I will get a tutor as I’ve completed a past paper and have passed don’t know the grade but have been entered for it’s gcses. Thank you!
Hiya - can you tell me in PM or here if you like which school you are at? I am looking for a school that teaches Turkish GCSE thanks
Reply 18
Hey what area are you in? I’m in Surrey around the areas of Croydon/bromley and most here offer Turkish gcses. I think that you should be able to do it anyway as it’s an additional gcse where you don’t need teaching for and all they need to provide is the papers you sit.
Hey what area are you in? I’m in Surrey around the areas of Croydon/bromley and most here offer Turkish gcses. I think that you should be able to do it anyway as it’s an additional gcse where you don’t need teaching for and all they need to provide is the papers you sit.

I'm in cambs so not a lot round here :-( The only problem seems to be the oral part - can't find anyone who can do the speaking and listening side up here

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending