The Student Room Group

Have you got a British accent?

Scroll to see replies

helluva
Indian accents sound like Welsh people speaking English.:biggrin:

Only South Wales! We sound nothing like that in North Wales..
Reply 61
That's the awesome thing about the UK, there are soooo many accents :smile:
I'm from Northern Ireland and have a pretty broad accent, I'm going to uni in (probs) Scotland next year and it'll be interesting to see if my accent changes slash how long it'll take if it does! :p:
the word 'British' makes me want to die
I also hate it when people say that something/someone is "European". canny vague considering there's fifty different countries in Europe. it'd be like telling a Candian that they're American, cause they're from the continent of America.
haha that was totally irrelevant...
Reply 63
I have a one, well you never specified which exact british accent? but i deffinitly have one lol,
I was born and have grown up with and have just always had it,
why would you want one?
Reply 64
Heather with the Weather
I'm sorry you felt sorry you had to make a comment on my comment on your irrelevant comment. :p:

I am sorry that you had to apologise for the fact that I apologised for you commenting on my irrelevency! Victory...Surely
Reply 65
Been living in England for over 3 years and my accent is now a pretty ****** up dutch one :rofl3:
Beanz123
I am sorry that you had to apologise for the fact that I apologised for you commenting on my irrelevency! Victory...Surely

Mind boggling stuff. You win. :yep:
Flozza
What the **** is a British accent? Is it Northern Irish, Glaswegian, Scouse, Welsh? I have an Oxon accent. There is no such thing as a ******* British accent.

Temper, temper.
Reply 68
Bubbles*de*Milo
Temper, temper.

That so reminded me of Guilty conscience :teehee:

Uhhh-aahh! Temper temper!
Mr. Dre? Mr. N.W.A.?
Title = :facepalm2:
Reply 70
helluva
Well, the reading I have done suggests that having a "genuine" second language accent is quite difficult once past the age of about 8. Perhaps up to the age of puberty(which increasingly happens earlier these days) this trend continues but thereafter it becomes more challenging.

Adjusting one's accent is not the same as acquiring the accent of a native speaker.

You can master grammar, spelling, punctuation and everything else about a language but pronunciation/accent is quite a different story.

I've often wondered about Charlize Theron and her American accent. I think she switches it on and off, like people switch on a "posh" voice when answering the phone.:biggrin:

It's not a criticism of her, or the way she speaks. We all modify our language and vocabulary depending on whom we are addressing.... it's just an observation.:smile:

Hmm, I guess I agree to some extent but I definitely think people pick up accents later on in life as well. It's the same thing if someone moves away from their homeland and doesn't really get to speak in their own language for years and years - when speaking in their native language, they have a slight accent.
Reply 71
Indeed, I like it though :holmes:
swahmad
why would you want one? It sucks =/

oh so wrong. Welsh accents are up there with the best.
Reply 73
no biggie
If that is the case, which one and how long did it take you to get it? was it difficult?
I can do easily do an American-ish one but find British a lot harder (and I feel silly talking to myself in a terrible impersonation of the queen :p: )

I want one. It is one of the main reasons for me wanting to study in the UK along with total immersion in the culture/language :biggrin:

If you want to talk like the Queen come down to Surrey, we all talk like that!

The beauty of Britain is as said before its variety of accents- so if you cant speak the Queens english, try doing a Yorkshireman- youtube Michael Parkinson- or a west country farmer.

Steer clear of a Liverpool accent- unattractive and synonymous with trouble.
Reply 74
generic hybrid
i'm american but i've lived in england for four years and now people think my accent is scottish. wtf

That's because they've been subjected to so many movies with American actors attempting to sound Scottish but instead sounding like a Birmingham/Cockney/Welsh hybrid that those who couldn't tell their arse from their elbow actually believe Scots talk like that- I feel for you.
Flozza
What the **** is a British accent? Is it Northern Irish, Glaswegian, Scouse, Welsh? I have an Oxon accent. There is no such thing as a ******* British accent.

This is true. There are about 50 different British accents, or something like that. I have a Kentish/South London accent (I live on the border of them).
Reply 76
Can't tell but a couple of american's have said so. Apparently american girls love the accent.
Reply 77
I dunno, maybe I'm not here long enough, cause best I can do is a generic British accent but then it doesn't flow naturally, I have to think about it as I talk. But maybe it's just me being rubbish at it, who knows :dontknow:

So best of luck 'immersing' :biggrin:
Reply 78
win2kpro
Been living in England for over 3 years and my accent is now a pretty ****** up dutch one :rofl3:

I love the Dutch accent it sounds so funny :p:
Reply 79
obsession
I dunno, maybe I'm not here long enough, cause best I can do is a generic British accent but then it doesn't flow naturally, I have to think about it as I talk. But maybe it's just me being rubbish at it, who knows :dontknow:

So best of luck 'immersing' :biggrin:

It takes time but you'll get there hopefully :smile:
I am determined to get one even if it means I have to watch conoration street and east enders :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest