The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

sounds ok to me, just work extra hard on your BMAT and getting work exp
Reply 1981
raveen789
Hello guys i really need your help, any help i generally get is vague except from woody and a few others who are quite helpful. But on a whole this is my situation. When i come on here i see some people do get into medicine on certain aspects similar to mine. But my teachers always say if you do not have X amount of A*s you have no chance. I don't plan on applying to Birmingham or Liverpool. So what are my current chances. I am hoping to make the difference in my AS levels.

If i was to achieve AAAA at AS a lot of other candidates also achieve this and then my GCSEs will be a strong factor. My passion in here but i can not prove it if i do not make it to a interview. i has just started year 12.

Ps im am sorry for this being so long, i am just really worried.

These are my GCSEs i really want to apply to UCL in 2012, and trying to make my application as best suited for them. To give me the best possible chance of recieving a interview. For example i took a 4th AS that is not science, they like that. Anyway i got this at GCSE:

Psychology A*
Geography A*
Philosophy and ethics A*

Maths A
Science core A
additional science A
Religious studies A

Music B
English Literature B

Spanish C
English Language C ( I understand I need to resit this)

I have taken the following A levels:

Chemistry Biology Maths Psychology Religious studied philosophy and ethics.

They contain two written subjects for the purpose that i did not achieve a B in English language during my first sitting.

I have only just started my first A level year, i would also like ask how much the personal statement contributes to the application.

I know their minimum requirements, but every time i feel i have a chance at medicine some other teacher says maybe you should not. I have done some work experience and enjoyed it. I am trying to work my hardest at AS levels to revive the best possible grades.

However it does not matter how much you want to be a doctor if you cannot make it to the interview stage.

So realistically how much chance do i have?

Thanks guys.

As much a chance as anybody else. Your GCSE's sum up to 3 A*, 4 A, 2 B, 2 C which, granted, is on the low side; but shouldn't hinder you if you apply to the right places. You need to do some serious research into universities which accept your overall GCSE results as well as a grade C in English Language. Alternatively, check which universities allow you to resit your English Language GCSE to get it up to their entry requirement (either B or A).

The minimum requirement can be misleading for some places (eg, for Birmingham, the higher your GCSE's the better) however on the other hand with some universities you only need to match the requirements (Newcastle only require grade C's, SGUL require an average of grade A, etc.).

The weighting of the personal statement, again, depends on university.

The major obstacle in your way is achieving A's at AS level, and scoring high on the UKCAT (which will allow you to offset your GCSE's somewhat). Of course, also on the BMAT.

Basically, it boils down to the fact you need to do your research. Make a list of all the universities, their entrance requirements, and then cross off those ones that you don't meet. Then look into the remaining in more detail.

Hope this helps.
(edited 13 years ago)
The ones i have looked at are allowing me a resit in English.

UCL is were i want to go to the most i have of course thought of other universities but they are granting me a resit. My GCSEs are on the low side which is why i am worrying.
You just started Year 12. Chill. No one can give you a % chance idea of whether you get in or not, cos it also depends on who else applies that year. Get some long term voluntary work done, get decent AS grades, do some more work exp if you can swing it, and ask again in 9 months time, minimum.
raveen789
Hello guys i really need your help, any help i generally get is vague except from woody and a few others who are quite helpful. But on a whole this is my situation. When i come on here i see some people do get into medicine on certain aspects similar to mine. But my teachers always say if you do not have X amount of A*s you have no chance. I don't plan on applying to Birmingham or Liverpool. So what are my current chances. I am hoping to make the difference in my AS levels.

If i was to achieve AAAA at AS a lot of other candidates also achieve this and then my GCSEs will be a strong factor. My passion in here but i can not prove it if i do not make it to a interview. i has just started year 12.

Ps im am sorry for this being so long, i am just really worried.

These are my GCSEs i really want to apply to UCL in 2012, and trying to make my application as best suited for them. To give me the best possible chance of recieving a interview. For example i took a 4th AS that is not science, they like that. Anyway i got this at GCSE:

Psychology A*
Geography A*
Philosophy and ethics A*

Maths A
Science core A
additional science A
Religious studies A

Music B
English Literature B

Spanish C
English Language C ( I understand I need to resit this)

I have taken the following A levels:

Chemistry Biology Maths Psychology Religious studied philosophy and ethics.

They contain two written subjects for the purpose that i did not achieve a B in English language during my first sitting.

I have only just started my first A level year, i would also like ask how much the personal statement contributes to the application.

I know their minimum requirements, but every time i feel i have a chance at medicine some other teacher says maybe you should not. I have done some work experience and enjoyed it. I am trying to work my hardest at AS levels to revive the best possible grades.

However it does not matter how much you want to be a doctor if you cannot make it to the interview stage.

So realistically how much chance do i have?

Thanks guys.

Just don't apply to a uni starting with B.But you can apply to most others, but look at their individual requirements, most med schools want 5 or 6 As at gcse, which you've got, st georges give an interview to anyone who has an average of grade A in their best 8 GCSE's, queen mary only want 6 Bs but they are really heavy on ukcat, as are kings and sheffield. Just be careful where you apply and get a strong ps behind you aswell as good as grades and a strong ukcat and lots of work exp and you'll stand a good chance
WHOAH a interview already, omg good luck !!!!

and thank you for your help guys, i no it is a bit early to decide but most people despite what year will have 7 A*s + generally which i do not have. This is why i am concerned. But i swear that this years GCSE seemed so much harder then the previous years, after doing their past papers they were so simple.

Thanks again :smile:
hi, i just joined and i'm having a major panic. I think i made the mistake of reading other threads and now i'm completely convinced my application is going to crash and burn :s-smilie:
I know i'm probably being stupid and i normally don't doubt myself like this... (personality test on UkCAT said i can be too optimistic sometimes :') )
I'm applying to:
King's (my first choice. i'm completely in love)
UCL
Leeds
Keele
My GCSE grades were 4A* 6A 1B
My AS grades were Chemistry A, Biology A, French B, and Maths C
My predicted grades are AAAB
My UkCAT average is 692
730 VR
710 QR
650 AR
680 DA

Sorry if this sounds like i'm just fishing for compliments... i know it could have been a lot worse, i'm just worried it's not good enough :unsure:
You'll be absolutely fine :smile:
Reply 1988
First, bare in mind that the people on this forum as implicitly high achievers (and high aimers) so don't use this forum as a sample for the rest of medicine applicants.

Saying that, with your criteria I think you may struggle to get an interview from Kings, but I don't see any reason why you should struggle with your other three applications. Obviously UCL depends on your BMAT, so study hard!
Don't worry, as I've found (and as I've been told countless times by other users), the users on here (especially those who tell people their grades) tend to be unrepresentative of the general student body.
Your grades should be fine.
thanks :smile: i also have one of those friends who makes you absolutely sick :') He got 10 A* at GCSE, an average of 740 in UKCAT, and 5A at AS. Oh and he's also one of the nicest people you'll ever meet... i love him, but he doesn't help my confidence levels since we're applying to the same unis (this was a complete coincidence)
I think you'll do okay. xD
It looks like a strong application to me! The only thing I'd say is that people on here have said that to get an interview in Kings, you need either 8A*s or >700 on the UKCAT. I don't know how correct this is, but just be aware! I wish you the best of luck anyway and I do hope you get an interview at Kings after all!
thank you all so much! i didn't think i'd get replies so fast :smile: i suppose at the end of the day, while i would LOVE to go to king's, i want to do medicine so much that i would study in a cardboard box :')
Also, where is everyone else applying/studying? :smile:
I think you'll do great, OP!!

good luck :smile:
Reply 1996
Me -
GCSE - 3A*,6A,2B
A Level - AAAc
UKCAT - 640

Your grades and UKCAT are better than mine and I still managed to get in. You should be fine applying with your grades as long as your PS and reference were strong. You'll get there :smile: Good Luck!
Furifo, just out of interest did you go to Leicester or Peninsula? i was considering applying to both :smile:
alorsondanse
Furifo, just out of interest did you go to Leicester or Peninsula? i was considering applying to both :smile:

I think he is going to Leicester as it is his firm choice.
Reply 1999
For kings you need over 650 on UKCAT to be in 'safe' zone for place otherwise you have to make up for it elsewhere. With 692 you are higher then average for King's students. Sorry only know about Kings due to mother but they can't ask more than your predicted grades. If you have a decent personal statement and do well at interview don't see why you wouldn't get an offer.

Latest

Trending

Trending