The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi. I know that it is very hard for people to predict rough A level and AS level results from GCSE's but I thought that some people on here who have had some experience with them may be able to give me a rough idea.
My (predicted but pretty solid) GCSE's I want to know are:
Biology- a very high A* (so far 100% in exam taken- just coursework that is hard :frown:
Chemisty- ditto " " " " " " " " " " "
Physics- a middle A*
Maths- a low-middle A*
Geography- a middle-high A*
Philosophy and Ethics- a middle A*

I am extremely hard working and should get AT LEAST these grades.
I am very passionate about doing medicine but know that AS and A level's are very different from GCSE's.
Anybody have any tips on what to choose knowing that maths and physics are probably the weaker of the ones that I have listed?
Overall, I am predicted 7A*'s, 2 A's and 1 B, plus one Distinction/Merit in a Sports thing (Equivalent to around a 1/2 of a GCSE).
What do you think my chances are of doing medicine??? xxx
Original post by pretty.in.blue
Hi. I know that it is very hard for people to predict rough A level and AS level results from GCSE's but I thought that some people on here who have had some experience with them may be able to give me a rough idea.
Biology- a very high A* (so far 100% in exam taken- just coursework that is hard :frown:
Physics- a middle A*
Maths- a low-middle A*

I am very passionate about doing medicine but know that AS and A level's are very different from GCSE's.
Anybody have any tips on what to choose knowing that maths and physics are probably the weaker of the ones that I have listed?
Overall, I am predicted 7A*'s, 2 A's and 1 B, plus one Distinction/Merit in a Sports thing (Equivalent to around a 1/2 of a GCSE).

It is not necessary to have maths or physics at AS level - however if you want to take one of them and you are equally talented at them, pick the one you enjoy the most - or research the A level syllabuses and see if they intrest you.

We can't really say what your chances are of doing medicine until we see your AS grades/UMS, A2 predictions, the unis you want to go to, your UKCAT and/or BMAT score, your extra curriculars, volunteering, work experience and personal statement!

However if you get your predicted grades you have a good chance apart from perhaps at Birmingham and Oxford!

:biggrin:
Physics- a middle A*
Maths- a low-middle A*

You can get higher than an A* now?!?!?! :zomg:

But in all seriousness, you should be fine as long as you maintain your hardworking-ness. Try find some work experience/voluntary work to strengthen your application. :smile:

Don't overload yourself at AS, I took graphics as a 5th subject because I thought I'd enjoy it, by the end of the year I hated it as it took up so much time I could've been using to revise for more important stuff :angry:

Good luck for the future :biggrin:

Edit: Also, if it's any consolation, I didn't do triple science but still did (and am doing) physics A-level. You focus so much on the subjects you're studying at A-level that you do eventually get good at them. :smile: If you don't want to do physics, then don't. If you do, then do! :biggrin: It's really interesting and, in OCR anyway, there's a whole section about medical physics which looks awesome.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5983
Original post by Natalie21
Okay thank you very much - so the average is very low only 50%!!

I need to buy the BMAT book urgently!!

i know for imperial for example the cut offs were below 5 and i think it was 3B in the writing task......

so its definately not easy....but can work wonders for your application :biggrin:
Original post by praj1
i know for imperial for example the cut offs were below 5 and i think it was 3B in the writing task......

so its definately not easy....but can work wonders for your application :biggrin:

Do you know what Cambridge's cut offs are?

How long before the exam did you start revising for it?
Hey guys thanks for your responses :smile: Much appreciated.

@SylveeDiggs: Thanks I will not PM it :smile:

@Knugs : I am a re-applicant; meaning I have achieved CCC at full A2 and a B in the AS. I am currently redoing most of my exams so have been predicted to achieve AAA (possibly better) at full A2. This is my third year of A-level study.

@psychojonas: apologies, I was posting from a mobile :frown:

@Normandy114: Didn't get a single response there :s-smilie:

EXP: hospice for over a year, hospital (general wards etc), shadowing doctors who managed angina and cardioversions, Young Enterprise, First Aid, peer mentoring (at school) and a part time job teaching maths at a tuition centre

Seriously everyone I really do appreciate all the responses!!! :smile:
Original post by Blatant Troll

Spoiler

Just noticed that :tongue: <3
Original post by Doctor.
Hey guys thanks for your responses :smile: Much appreciated.

@SylveeDiggs: Thanks I will not PM it :smile:

@Knugs : I am a re-applicant; meaning I have achieved CCC at full A2 and a B in the AS. I am currently redoing most of my exams so have been predicted to achieve AAA (possibly better) at full A2. This is my third year of A-level study.

@psychojonas: apologies, I was posting from a mobile :frown:

@Normandy114: Didn't get a single response there :s-smilie:

EXP: hospice for over a year, hospital (general wards etc), shadowing doctors who managed angina and cardioversions, Young Enterprise, First Aid, peer mentoring (at school) and a part time job teaching maths at a tuition centre

Seriously everyone I really do appreciate all the responses!!! :smile:

That's okay :smile: and are you sure all your other choices accepts you taking your a levels over 2 years?
Reply 5988
Original post by Natalie21
Do you know what Cambridge's cut offs are?

How long before the exam did you start revising for it?

i dont really know how cambridge works because ive never considered applying there....but i THINK you need a score above 5.5 at least in each section....

the Bmat is on the 2nd of november and i started revising 2 weeks ago...so id say a month....but bear in mind you gotta do your PS and UCAS in all this time too so you might want to start earlier....

hope i helped :biggrin:
I know it is very hard to predict, but can somebody try to give me a rough idea of what AS/A level results I could get from my GCSE results:

Biology- a very high A* (so far 100% in exam taken- just coursework that is hard
Physics- a middle A*
Maths- a low-middle A*

I am really hard working, so should get at least these results.
I know it is impossible to predict very accurately, especially as you don't know me, but I am sure that many of you have an idea about what people get at GCSE and then at A level, so please- just have a guess/estimate? thanks xxx
I know it is very hard to predict, but can somebody try to give me a rough idea of what AS/A level results I could get from my GCSE results:

Biology- a very high A* (so far 100% in exam taken- just coursework that is hard
Physics- a middle A*
Maths- a low-middle A*

I am really hard working, so should get at least these results.
I know it is impossible to predict very accurately, especially as you don't know me, but I am sure that many of you have an idea about what people get at GCSE and then at A level, so please- just have a guess/estimate? thanks xxx

You can get whatever A level results you want if you try hard enough.
Original post by praj1
i dont really know how cambridge works because ive never considered applying there....but i THINK you need a score above 5.5 at least in each section....

the Bmat is on the 2nd of november and i started revising 2 weeks ago...so id say a month....but bear in mind you gotta do your PS and UCAS in all this time too so you might want to start earlier....

hope i helped :biggrin:

Okay awesome - thank you very much :biggrin:

I don't have to take it til next year so I've got ages to sort it out :biggrin:
Reply 5992
urm has anyone got any acknowledgement emails from any uni's?.....ive only had 1 from barts...
Original post by praj1
urm has anyone got any acknowledgement emails from any uni's?.....ive only had 1 from barts...

Yep, I've had them from UEA, Leicester and Kings, just not Keele for some reason... :smile:
I've already submitted my UCAS form, but after talking to others, I'm a little bit worried about my history unit grades as I got a C in one of my modules (A overall) and despite dropping it, I have been told that universities are looking for weak points in your application and that the C may jeopardize any offers. Does anyone here know if that is particularly true?
Original post by Joseppea
Yep, I've had them from UEA, Leicester and Kings, just not Keele for some reason... :smile:

King's seem to be super quick with their acknowledgements. I got mine the day after I sent in my form.
Original post by SylveeDiggs
That's okay :smile: and are you sure all your other choices accepts you taking your a levels over 2 years?

Yes I emailed admissions and told them about my extenuating conditions. They said I would be considered and I just needed to send them the evidence. :smile:

Just have to wait till either School reopens after half term holidays or get my medical records from the GP
Reply 5997
Original post by Joseppea

i havent recieved any for my other 3 choices :confused:....
and i cant seem to log onto track!?....my username and password are right and so is my applicant code thingy.....anybody else have any problems?
Original post by Doctor.
Yes I emailed admissions and told them about my extenuating conditions. They said I would be considered and I just needed to send them the evidence. :smile:

Just have to wait till either School reopens after half term holidays or get my medical records from the GP

cool you're sorted then :smile:
Reply 5999
Original post by confused dot com
I've already submitted my UCAS form, but after talking to others, I'm a little bit worried about my history unit grades as I got a C in one of my modules (A overall) and despite dropping it, I have been told that universities are looking for weak points in your application and that the C may jeopardize any offers. Does anyone here know if that is particularly true?

i dont think thats fair....i really dont think they would be that picky....especially since you can resit anyway...why would the delve into such detail....imagine this...

youve got AAC outta your 3 modules and therefore scrape an A overall....

someone else has BBB and narrowly misses out on an A...they can still resit in Jan and so can you....if you both resit and you turn that A into a C and the other geezer gets turns one of his/her B's into an A (but enough to get an A overall at As) what will they do?
you got the A straight away....but they didnt and took it onto A2....

confusing stuff:confused:

i really dont think that matters.....dont worry bout it.....its gone.....its out of your control

Latest

Trending

Trending