The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nmudz_009
x

The point is, unis are more likely to try and distinguish first using GCSEs or using things like UKCAT/BMAT. AS performance isn't a big issue at most places as long as you can get AAA at the end. As much as you say loads of people get good GCSEs, If you look at those with 7 A*s or more, that's actually a rather small chunk of Medical applicants. It's actually a better comparative tool than you make it out to be. Of course, not every uni cares but great GCSEs gives you far more flexibility.
Reply 7761
AS are more important as quite a few medical schools will reject applicant pre-interview based on their AS grades despite good GCSEs as they don't appear to be able to meet the academic requirements - it would be a waste of an offer. A guy in my year applied with almost straight A*s at GCSE but BBBB AS and for feedback he was told his AS grades did not meet the academic requirements of AAA (even though they weren't A2 yet) :smile: As yeah, pretty much EVERYONE has good GCSEs whereas AS shows your actual academic ability :smile: Much more impressive having AAAA at AS grade than good GCSEs but poor AS grades... And yeah they have minimum GCSE requirements on the websites in order to limit applicants. But AS will be the thing that makes you different as long as you meet the GCSE requirements they don't really matter :smile:
Original post by wallaby
AS are more important as quite a few medical schools will reject applicant pre-interview based on their AS grades despite good GCSEs as they don't appear to be able to meet the academic requirements - it would be a waste of an offer. A guy in my year applied with almost straight A*s at GCSE but BBBB AS and for feedback he was told his AS grades did not meet the academic requirements of AAA (even though they weren't A2 yet) :smile: As yeah, pretty much EVERYONE has good GCSEs whereas AS shows your actual academic ability :smile: Much more impressive having AAAA at AS grade than good GCSEs but poor AS grades... And yeah they have minimum GCSE requirements on the websites in order to limit applicants. But AS will be the thing that makes you different as long as you meet the GCSE requirements they don't really matter :smile:

I disagree, but out of interest, which med school was he rejected from for having poor AS results?

Having been through the system twice now, I have never heard of AS results being taken into consideration (apart from oxbridge).
Reply 7763
Original post by Sarah2707
I am currently in 6th form and studying 3 as levels: Maths, Chemistry and Biology. I revised really, really hard for my January exams (I revised as soon as we started the courses for a few hours every night) , but my results were awful I only passed Maths and Chemistry and they weren't good passes (E and D).
Now I'm stuck as I've only ever wanted to be a doctor, and I don't think I'll be able to get the grades.
Is there anyone else that's in, or has been in, this situation? I don't really know what to do.

ME! Lol, Im in 6th year too, doing Maths Chem Bio and Business Studies. I got an A in both Biology and Business Studies, a C in Chemistry and a C,E in Maths (E in mechanics, C in core1). Been studying the past few weeks for my resits, not gonna let anything stop me from being a doctor!
Original post by Davidragon
The point is, unis are more likely to try and distinguish first using GCSEs or using things like UKCAT/BMAT. AS performance isn't a big issue at most places as long as you can get AAA at the end. As much as you say loads of people get good GCSEs, If you look at those with 7 A*s or more, that's actually a rather small chunk of Medical applicants. It's actually a better comparative tool than you make it out to be. Of course, not every uni cares but great GCSEs gives you far more flexibility.

You do have a valid point about flexibility, but people SHOULD NOT be put off, if their GCSE grades are below outstanding.Being predicted AAA, and a decent UKCAT score, (which you have to have anyway or else medical schools won't consider you) will more than make up ANY shortfall created by below outstanding Gcse results
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by wallaby

That is exactly what I'm saying :smile:
Reply 7766
would these be good enough, i don't think so but i'd like to get a rough idea of how far off i am... if it would make any difference i'm in year 11 and i have a few weeks experience working in a school and care home. i also volenteer regularly at a local charity shop and plan to do so for the next few years. (does this count?) i have also lined up placements at optitions, dentists and GPs for the summer. Are these ok?

my GSCE grades are

English lang-A
English Lit-A
Maths-B
Statistics-B
Biology- A
Chemistry-A
Physics -A
German- B
Textiles -A
R.E -A (short course)

Health double award- Distinction*
IT- Merit

I also help out at my schools homework club for years 7-9 once a week.

What are my chances? Do i have any?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7767
Original post by tiajacob
would these be good enough, i don't think so but i'd like to get a rough idea of how far off i am... if it would make any difference i'm in year 11 and i have a few weeks experience working in a school and care home. i also volenteer regularly at a local charity shop and plan to do so for the next few years. (does this count?) i have also lined up placements at optitions, dentists and GPs for the summer. Are these ok?

my GSCE grades are

English lang-A
English Lit-A
Maths-B
Statistics-B
Biology- A
Chemistry-A
Physics -A
German- B
Textiles -A
R.E -A (short course)

Health double award- Distinction*
IT- Merit

I also help out at my schools homework club for years 7-9 once a week.

What are my chances? Do i have any?

If you are in year 11 I would assume those are your predicted grades? If so you still have time to try and improve them. However as they stand currently, yes you could apply. You would just have to choose universities carefully i.e. not apply to those which put a large emphasis on GCSEs (e.g. Birmingham, Cardiff)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7768
Original post by Steerforth
I disagree, but out of interest, which med school was he rejected from for having poor AS results?

Having been through the system twice now, I have never heard of AS results being taken into consideration (apart from oxbridge).

He only applied to 2 as the teachers told him that he didn't really stand a chance anymore anyway with those results so it was a waste applying to more.
He got rejected from Edinburgh and Glasgow. Edinburgh were the ones who gave feed back about the grades not being adequate. I guess its different at each med school though :smile:
Original post by wallaby
He only applied to 2 as the teachers told him that he didn't really stand a chance anymore anyway with those results so it was a waste applying to more.
He got rejected from Edinburgh and Glasgow. Edinburgh were the ones who gave feed back about the grades not being adequate. I guess its different at each med school though :smile:

His choice was supposedly limited to two for academic reasons...and he chose Edinburgh?

Not the cleverest move really.
Reply 7770
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
His choice was supposedly limited to two for academic reasons...and he chose Edinburgh?

Not the cleverest move really.

I know... I did think that :smile: As Edinburgh and Glasgow are pretty prestigious universities and will have a lot of strong AAAA applicants :smile: But hey... Too late now. I think they were his favorite, so if he was going to choose 2 he wanted them to be the ones he really wanted to go to.
Original post by wallaby
I know... I did think that :smile: As Edinburgh and Glasgow are pretty prestigious universities and will have a lot of strong AAAA applicants :smile: But hey... Too late now. I think they were his favorite, so if he was going to choose 2 he wanted them to be the ones he really wanted to go to.

It isn't so much to do with university prestige for medicine, more with the individual application processes of each medical school. Every Scottish medical school has around 11 applicants per place, the vast majority with AAAAB>.

My point was that since Edinburgh do not interview, they place huge emphasis on grades and UKCAT relative to the others :smile:
I am a bit worried about whether or not I would get accepted into medical school. For my GCSEs I got 5 A*s (one was a short course), 4 As, 1 B, D* BTEC Sport and Merit BTEC ICT. I got A in English Language and A in Maths.

For my January exams I got Chem A, Bio B (1 UMS of an A, getting remarked), B in C1 Maths and D in Geography (let myself down big time, re-taking it, I was predicted to get an A).

I've been volunteering at a local charity shop since November, I have a first aid certificate, I'm a prefect at my school, I play football and Badminton, I do judo, I was part of London citizen's campaign, I have 2 months work experience in my local GP, a day in surgery, a day in A&E and a planned day in orthopedics. I also have a part time job working in a call center.

If I work hard in my exams which I'm doing my best to prepare for, I estimate to get AAAB.

Is all this enough? Should I get those grades, do you guys think I'm good enough?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7773
Original post by asmaalim
I am a bit worried about whether or not I would get accepted into medical school. For my GCSEs I got 5 A*s (one was a short course), 4 As, 1 B, D* BTEC Sport and Merit BTEC ICT. I got A in English Language and A in Maths.

For my January exams I got Chem A, Bio B (1 UMS of an A, getting remarked), B in C1 Maths and D in Geography (let myself down big time, re-taking it, I was predicted to get an A).

I've been volunteering at a local charity shop since November, I have a first aid certificate, I'm a prefect at my school, I play football and Badminton, I do judo, I was part of London citizen's campaign, I have 2 months work experience in my local GP, a day in surgery, a day in A&E and a planned day in orthopedics. I also have a part time job working in a call center.

If I work hard in my exams which I'm doing my best to prepare for, I estimate to get AAAB.

Is all this enough? Should I get those grades, do you guys think I'm good enough?

Yes it's fine :smile: AAAB is more than good enough and your gcses are good. Remember it's important to apply to your strengths and research the university admission policies thoroughly before applying. Medicine is competitive but you can dramatically increase your chances by applying smart. In terms of your experiences, just remember to reflect instead of continuous listing when it comes to writing your personal statement. :smile:
Original post by myyrh
Yes it's fine :smile: AAAB is more than good enough and your gcses are good. Remember it's important to apply to your strengths and research the university admission policies thoroughly before applying. Medicine is competitive but you can dramatically increase your chances by applying smart. In terms of your experiences, just remember to reflect instead of continuous listing when it comes to writing your personal statement. :smile:

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 7775
Original post by myyrh
If you are in year 11 I would assume those are your predicted grades? If so you still have time to try and improve them. However as they stand currently, yes you could apply. You would just have to choose universities carefully i.e. not apply to those which put a large emphasis on GCSEs (e.g. Birmingham, Cardiff)

Actually no, my predicted grades are all Cs but these are the grades I expect to get.
I have completed bio, english language, chemistry (although i'm re-taking in hope of an A*) and statistics. And i'm not sure how much I can improve on my other grades... but is it still worth considering medicine as a possible/realistic career? And if not what else would you suggest? My AS choices are biology, chemistry psychology and english lit.
Also, how does my work experience stack up? Would the charity shop/dentist/opticians/veterinary practice, count as valid experience since they are not directly related to medicine?
Thanks again :-)
Reply 7776
Original post by tiajacob

Actually no, my predicted grades are all Cs but these are the grades I expect to get.
I have completed bio, english language, chemistry (although i'm re-taking in hope of an A*) and statistics. And i'm not sure how much I can improve on my other grades... but is it still worth considering medicine as a possible/realistic career? And if not what else would you suggest? My AS choices are biology, chemistry psychology and english lit.
Also, how does my work experience stack up? Would the charity shop/dentist/opticians/veterinary practice, count as valid experience since they are not directly related to medicine?
Thanks again :-)

Yes medicine is definitely possible! Your expected gcses are fine for medicine as long as you avoid gcse heavy unis. Lots of applicants gain offers with much worse so you should be fine. The experience in those places would help show how you have the required communication and personal skills. However you really need work/voluntary experience in medical related and care settings (hospital/care home/ gp) where you would be in regular contact with patients. It's important to have this as it shows you have an insight into medicine as a profession as well as help you really decide if that's the particular career for you. :smile:
Reply 7777
Firstly, I'm not sure if my GCSE's are going to be good enough. I'm in Yr 11 and I am predicted to get about 4-5A*'s and 4-5A's with a few B's. My A*'s are in Maths, Chem, Bio but I'm probably gonna get an A in Physics. Will that affect my chances?

For A-Level, I have taken Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics. I know they are good choices and am hoping to get A's in them maybe even an A* in Maths and Chemistry.

Just want to know if my GCSE's are good enough and which universities might except me.

Thanks for any help :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Your GCSEs are fine for all medical schools other than Birmingham. Your A level choices are fine. Do well in the UKCAT and ensure you have plenty of experience and you'll be in a brilliant position.

However, try to do better than those predictions and get as many A*s as possible. The more, the better.
Original post by Syed513
Firstly, I'm not sure if my GCSE's are going to be good enough. I'm in Yr 11 and I am predicted to get about 4-5A*'s and 4-5A's with a few B's. My A*'s are in Maths, Chem, Bio but I'm probably gonna get an A in Physics. Will that affect my chances.

For A-Level, I have taken Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics. I know they are good choices and am hoping to get A's in them maybe even an A* in Maths and Chemistry.

Just want to know if my GCSE's are good enough and which universities might except me.

Thanks for any help :smile:

Perhaps get them first, and then we can advise you a bit better.

Latest

Trending

Trending