Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

*MEGATHREAD* - The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread Mk II

Announcements Posted on
Are you at uni? Can you help prospective students with their questions? We're looking for uni forum assistants 19-11-2014
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areyouthere?)
    I did edexcel, it had a fair bit of application Qs, which made me survive the exams, I struggled to pass my school mocks for Bio though, as they tested purely on memory.
    Yeah i know what you mean
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by el.sammo)
    Hi guys, Im applying for medicine this year. Got 4 A's in my first AS modules, predicted 4 A*s in maths, physics biology and chemistry. Got 720 average in my UKCAT (640, 850, 680, 710) and at GCSE got 10 A*s and 3 A's. Done a fair bit of work experience (2 weeks) and volunteer at a care home and with people who have learning disabilities. Does anyone have any advice as to where I should apply as I'm really not sure at the minute. Ive been thinking Newcastle as I live close and they look quite heavily at the UKCAT which hopefully I should pass for. Not sure where else though, any ideas on where to apply to suit my strengths? Thanks guys!
    Post here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1230653

Pretty much anywhere with those credentials.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elwyn)
    Post here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1230653

Pretty much anywhere with those credentials.
    Thank you! I was looking for a thread but couldnt find one
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elwyn)
    It means you don't tell them your grades. That doesn't mean they won't know you sat them.

Also, I don't think you can choose to not cash-in anymore.
    But if they cannot see my grades how can they come to an assumption I sat the exams?

What makes you think that we cant choose not to anymore?
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by king101)
    But if they cannot see my grades how can they come to an assumption I sat the exams?

What makes you think that we cant choose not to anymore?
    It's not so much sitting exams as already having had a year of teaching. It's still an unfair advantage against other candidates, regardless of whether you actually sit exams in the first year of three years or not (which you did).
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by king101)
    Admission tutors aren't idiots. At the very minimum you will have to put down that you have been at school for 3 years, and I'm pretty sure unless you're at a private school you need to also put down all achieved grades. It's called lying, and medical schools are fully within their power to withdraw an offer after finding out a lie like that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone please help me, and say whether I have a chance of getting into any medical schools with my predicted GCSE grades;

English Language - B
    Maths - B
    Science core - B
    Science additional - B OR A
    RE - B
    Work Skills - BB
    Business Studies - A* A*
    ICT - A* A*
    Design and technology - A

For my A level subjects I have picked; biology, chemsitry, pyschology and computing.

I am also doing work experience at my local NHS hospital in the pathology lab where I am soon going to be on the wards when I am 17.

Would really appriciate if anyone would reply back, with comments or suggestions who have been in this situation themselves and what did you do to increase your chances.

Thank you!!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureCareerInMed)
    Would anyone please help me, and say whether I have a chance of getting into any medical schools with my predicted GCSE grades;

English Language - B
    Maths - B
    Science core - B
    Science additional - B OR A
    RE - B
    Work Skills - BB
    Business Studies - A* A*
    ICT - A* A*
    Design and technology - A

For my A level subjects I have picked; biology, chemsitry, pyschology and computing.

I am also doing work experience at my local NHS hospital in the pathology lab where I am soon going to be on the wards when I am 17.

Would really appriciate if anyone would reply back, with comments or suggestions who have been in this situation themselves and what did you do to increase your chances.

Thank you!!
    Are the ICT and Business studies actual GCSEs or a BTEC/other award?
    Provided you apply to universities which don't put much emphasis on GCSEs then yes you would have a chance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myyrh)
    Are the ICT and Business studies actual GCSEs or a BTEC/other award?
    Provided you apply to universities which don't put much emphasis on GCSEs then yes you would have a chance.
    The ICT is an OCR Nationals
    Business studies is a BTEC - I had no GCSE options for these :-( !!

Can you recommend any universities which don't put much emphasis on GCSEs?

Thank you for replying most appreciated!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    The ICT is an OCR Nationals
    Business studies is a BTEC - I had no GCSE options for these :-( !!

Can you recommend any universities which don't put much emphasis on GCSEs?

Thank you for replying most appreciated!
    Well they probably wont count, at best maybe as half a GCSE.

You could consider applying to the following
    Barts(As long as you have high A level predictions)
    Durham
    Newcastle
    Exeter
    Plymouth
    Southampton

You still have a year to go before you apply so it's possible that these entry requirements could change.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myyrh)
    Well they probably wont count, at best maybe as half a GCSE.

You could consider applying to the following
    Barts(As long as you have high A level predictions)
    Durham
    Newcastle
    Exeter
    Plymouth
    Southampton

You still have a year to go before you apply so it's possible that these entry requirements could change.
    Ok thanks for that!

Would Kings College be out of my reach? and what about Brighton and Sussex?

Once again - thanks!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks for that!

Would Kings College be out of my reach? and what about Brighton and Sussex?

Once again - thanks!

Kings would be a no. They select applicants for interview by number of A*s at GCSE and UKCAT. Your GCSEs would probably not be good enough for BSMS either since you would score lower than the other applicants academically.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myyrh)
    Kings would be a no. They select applicants for interview by number of A*s at GCSE and UKCAT. Your GCSEs would probably not be good enough for BSMS either since you would score lower than the other applicants academically.

Alright cool! Cheers for that - much appreciated.

Are you applying for medicine? Or already have?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Alright cool! Cheers for that - much appreciated.

Are you applying for medicine? Or already have?
    Applied twice. The universities I applied to for 2012 entry are in my sig.
    • 106 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elwyn)
    It means you don't tell them your grades. That doesn't mean they won't know you sat them.

Also, I don't think you can choose to not cash-in anymore.
    Just thought I would follow on from this post with more details on AS grades being 'cashed-in'

If you go to a public school then your AS results are automatically cashed-in at the end of year 12 and you HAVE TO declare any grade above a 'U' on your UCAS form at the time of applying.
    If you go to a private school then it is their choice whether your results are cashed-in or not at the end of year 12, or whether they wait until you have completed A-levels. If this is the case then you should check with your school on the matter. Uni's will probably be expecting you to have inputed AS level grades into UCAS, and can ask you for them.

The majority of people will fall into the first category, or will have their private school opt-into cashing-in AS grades.

Please note: If you lie on your UCAS form/omit information that you should have declared then you void your agreement with UCAS that the data you submitted is correct and your application will not be valid.

So don't lie, you will be caught out and you will not be able to enter any university for that cycle.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xiomara)
    I cannot stop thinking about results day. Warning, this'll be a long one.

Beginning of the year - went to my local sixth form (attached to the secondary school I'd been at for how many years) which is very small and not very science orientated, simply because...
    I'm in exactly the same position as you, results day is eating away at my mind and I can't seem to get anything done due to stressing about it. I've hardly done any UKCAT revision and the maths questions seem so hard at times especially with the limited amount of time you have to solve them, and my personal statements consists of one paragraph so far and it SUCKS!!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celina10)
    I'm in exactly the same position as you, results day is eating away at my mind and I can't seem to get anything done due to stressing about it. I've hardly done any UKCAT revision and the maths questions seem so hard at times especially with the limited amount of time you have to solve them, and my personal statements consists of one paragraph so far and it SUCKS!!
    At least we're not alone? Though it's a pretty **** place to be in!

I've done a teeny amount of UKCAT, not enough as I've been busy with other PS stuff. QR gets me all the time, everyone in my class says it's the easiest as they're all great at Maths, but I scraped through GCSE barely knowing anything and it's such a struggle! And the limited time is another factor - I misread/make silly mistakes and end up getting the wrong answer anyway

I'm sure your PS will be fine though! Just as long as you give it to lots of people who know you well for advice and feedback. Also, if you know anyone that is decent at English, they can help you with wording and stuff :P What subjects are you taking?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xiomara)
    At least we're not alone? Though it's a pretty **** place to be in!

I've done a teeny amount of UKCAT, not enough as I've been busy with other PS stuff. QR gets me all the time, everyone in my class says it's the easiest as they're all great at Maths, but I scraped through GCSE barely knowing anything and it's such a struggle! And the limited time is another factor - I misread/make silly mistakes and end up getting the wrong answer anyway

I'm sure your PS will be fine though! Just as long as you give it to lots of people who know you well for advice and feedback. Also, if you know anyone that is decent at English, they can help you with wording and stuff :P What subjects are you taking?
    I just want results day to come already so we can relax and I totally agree, I end up panicking because of the time and make so many silly mistakes. At least we have some hope with the verbal reasoning section, it's the easiest in my opinion. I'm taking Biology, Chemistry (which I hate), physics and psychology. What about you? And whats GCSE grades did you get coz they can't be worse than mine?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bit unsure where to apply now. I didn't do great in my AS due to being lazy and underestimating how much time it would take but I'll probably be able to get the predicted grades.

I was thinking Glasgow, Newcastle, St Georges London and BSMS.

My GCSE's are A*AAAAAABB which aren't great so I can't apply to any GCSE heavy schools. The B is in Maths and English Literature. Lets assume I have a good PS and UKCAT. I'll probably have predicted grades of around A*AAB/A*AAA so I couldn't apply to Barts and the London which is somewhere I was interested in before

Are any of the ones I mentioned unsuitable? Any other suggestions? I really prefer big cities to small places so that could be considered too.

Any help is so appreciated because we need to start informing out careers advisor by the 16th and I don't have a clue yet.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llessur123)
    Bit unsure where to apply now. I didn't do great in my AS due to being lazy and underestimating how much time it would take but I'll probably be able to get the predicted grades.

I was thinking Glasgow, Newcastle, St Georges London and BSMS.

My GCSE's are A*AAAAAABB which aren't great so I can't apply to any GCSE heavy schools. The B is in Maths and English Literature. Lets assume I have a good PS and UKCAT. I'll probably have predicted grades of around A*AAB/A*AAA so I couldn't apply to Barts and the London which is somewhere I was interested in before

Are any of the ones I mentioned unsuitable? Any other suggestions? I really prefer big cities to small places so that could be considered too.

Any help is so appreciated because we need to start informing out careers advisor by the 16th and I don't have a clue yet.
    A*AAA predictions would be sufficient for Barts. BSMS would be risky as your GCSEs wouldn't score as highly, apparently BSMS put more emphasis on AS results but like you said, you aren't very optimistic about them. Newcastle and Glasgow would depend entirely on your UKCAT score. St Georges should be okay too provided you meet their UKCAT cut-off.
Updated: September 5, 2012
New on TSR

A-level mocks revision

Chat about your study tips

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.