The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Flip1
For your best chance at getting in, I would say to take a year off (while doing something relevant to medicine) and apply when you have your results, assuming they are all A*/A.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

This may increase the OPs chances if he gets AAA at A2 however I don't think they should plan like that. It would make more sense to apply anyway in their final year of college and only take a year out if the OP doesn't get any offers with their AS results and GCSEs. It would be stupid to not give it a go and waste a year.
I am taking my UKCAT on Thursday and am probably going to get less than 600. With AAAB at AS, where can I apply with an actual chance of getting in? :frown:
Reply 9882
Original post by AspiringGenius
I am taking my UKCAT on Thursday and am probably going to get less than 600. With AAAB at AS, where can I apply with an actual chance of getting in? :frown:

Seriously just wait till you actually get your score! :tongue:
What are your GCSE grades like?
Original post by AspiringGenius

No point guessing, just wait until Thursday :smile:
So overall I need to:
- Work really hard in my AS Levels and achieve high UMS
- Get a lot more work experience and voluntary work
- Ace the UKCAT (tips for this?? As it is an aptitude test so I'm quite worried about that)
- Write an excellent personal statement

Anymore??
Original post by jazzenthusiast
I absolutely under performed in my GCSEs due to screwing up a few exams. It sucks because the school I attend is very academic and on results day everyone was expecting me to get 10A*s or something and when I came out and told them I achieved 4A*s & 6As

I stopped reading when i saw that.
Them results are excellent!
Original post by RachelSophia

It's just that there are soooo many more people who would achieved more A*s applying against me. It also sucks because I'm being constantly reminded by people that 'I could have done better' you think I don't know that already? Oh well!
I've wanted to do medicine for a long time and already have some work experience from last year in a GP surgery. However despite being a hard worker I absolutely under performed in my GCSEs due to screwing up a few exams. It sucks because the school I attend is very academic and on results day everyone was expecting me to get 10A*s or something and when I came out and told them I achieved 4A*s & 6As they all thought I was joking. One friend didn't believe me for ages until I saw him the next day and showed him the results sheets. I feel as if I have let everyone down including my teachers, parents, friends and most of all myself.

I've gotten over the issue and I only feel more motivated now to work unbelievably hard for my AS Levels. I will be taking Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and History. I have researched all of the revision techniques possible, structured a timetable, study plan and collected many resources. I plan to put a lot of focus into understanding & have researched all of the effective ways of grasping concepts. I also plan to do practice questions very often aswell as research more practicals tips.

I will also dedicate time to UKCAT practice on a regular basis, have signed up to 4 voluntary work positions and aim to get more work experience.

I want to do really well in my AS Levels and achieve AAAA and do very well in my A Levels the next year. I know it's easier said than done however my disappointment from my GCSE results, the sheer difficulty of A Levels and my determination to achieve my dream is definitely going to make me work harder than ever.

I'm so worried that my GCSE results will hold me back in comparison to the many many candidates who will be applying against me with much better grades at GCSE.

If I manage to do well in my AS Levels and A Levels (really well) can I still achieve the medicine dream? :frown:

The thing is, getting AAAA is the max you can get, which is what almost every med applicant has anyway.
Original post by Junaid96
The thing is, getting AAAA is the max you can get, which is what almost every med applicant has anyway.

I've seen you on other threads like this. You're very pessimistic.
I've seen you on other threads like this. You're very pessimistic.

I would say realistic - I don't lie to the OPs, but just give them the truth. Especially for courses like this which are incredibly competitive, GCSEs actually mean a lot when you're compared hundreds of AAAA students.
Reply 9890
I got the same grades as you at GCSE and got in. There's only a few unis like Birmingham that have a strict cut off for GCSE's, most others use them alongside your A level grades and PS so just make sure they're up to scratch and you should be fine :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Junaid96
I would say realistic - I don't lie to the OPs, but just give them the truth. Especially for courses like this which are incredibly competitive, GCSEs actually mean a lot when you're compared hundreds of AAAA students.

I'm obviously aware of that which is the reason why I actually made this thread. However after doing some research I've seen some people with few A*s at GCSE get in.
I'm obviously aware of that which is the reason why I actually made this thread. However after doing some research I've seen some people with few A*s at GCSE get in.

I know, but it's rare. I often say it's unlikely or improbable if the person in question has low GCSEs, because it's true. If something is unlikely, that means, however, that some people will be successful.
Reply 9893
I understand you might personally feel bad about your grades but don't think for a second you can't get into medicine with them (they are bloody excellent). If you prepare for your UKCAT and get a good score, all you need to do is really, REALLY concentrate on your PS as that matters a lot. Some unis like Leicester have quite transparent application procedures, and will tell you exactly how they score various aspects of your application (e.g GCSEs). And if you just look on uni websites at course information you can see if they have a minimum requirement for GCSEs...every uni has different priorities, it's now just a matter of picking wisely. Don't go for Birmingham or Bristol. You still have a shot at med!
Reply 9894
Original post by RachelSophia

This.
Reply 9895
Original post by myyrh
Yes they were called Peninsula but now they've split :redface: Cut-off has been 642.5 for 2011 and 2012 entry.
St Georges is around 625 and I have no idea about Nottingham sorry.

Liverpool need B grades in the sciences and your GCSE grades are not really good enough to meet the overall point score requirements. Manchester should be okay but I would double check with them.

Okay thank you :smile:
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
This may increase the OPs chances if he gets AAA at A2 however I don't think they should plan like that. It would make more sense to apply anyway in their final year of college and only take a year out if the OP doesn't get any offers with their AS results and GCSEs. It would be stupid to not give it a go and waste a year.
It's also really bloody naive to think that you could get a job in healthcare during that period.

As for GCSE grades... this is something I experienced back in 2005. You need to be VERY careful about where you apply as GCSE requirements are sometimes not listed despite existing.
A Levels are a complete leap from GCSE's and it's impossible to predict what you will achieve in them! There's people who get A*s at GCSE in the subjects they wish to study at A Level then do badly in their AS exams! Something which helped me a lot and I would definitely recommend them to anyone are 'revision cards/note cards' and I find they make revision much easier, especially when it gets closer to the exam date as you can just go through them and highlight which topics you're good and bad at! :smile:
I've wanted to do medicine for a long time and already have some work experience from last year in a GP surgery. However despite being a hard worker I absolutely under performed in my GCSEs due to screwing up a few exams. It sucks because the school I attend is very academic and on results day everyone was expecting me to get 10A*s or something and when I came out and told them I achieved 4A*s & 6As they all thought I was joking. One friend didn't believe me for ages until I saw him the next day and showed him the results sheets. I feel as if I have let everyone down including my teachers, parents, friends and most of all myself.

I've gotten over the issue and I only feel more motivated now to work unbelievably hard for my AS Levels. I will be taking Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and History. I have researched all of the revision techniques possible, structured a timetable, study plan and collected many resources. I plan to put a lot of focus into understanding & have researched all of the effective ways of grasping concepts. I also plan to do practice questions very often aswell as research more practicals tips.

I will also dedicate time to UKCAT practice on a regular basis, have signed up to 4 voluntary work positions and aim to get more work experience.

I want to do really well in my AS Levels and achieve AAAA and do very well in my A Levels the next year. I know it's easier said than done however my disappointment from my GCSE results, the sheer difficulty of A Levels and my determination to achieve my dream is definitely going to make me work harder than ever.

I'm so worried that my GCSE results will hold me back in comparison to the many many candidates who will be applying against me with much better grades at GCSE.

If I manage to do well in my AS Levels and A Levels (really well) can I still achieve the medicine dream? :frown:

Your GCSEs are fine. Your a levels are fine. Just make sure you meet requirements of each uni. Simple.
Could someone just look over my GSCE's?

I was hoping for 7 A*s, 3 As, 2 Bs, and 1 C. But in the end I got 1 A*, 8 As, 2 Bs, and 2 Cs (I am retaking one of these Cs). I don't really have a preference of where I study but Medicine is the aim.

Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending