The Student Room Group
Original post by KieranDhesi
Could someone just look over my GSCE's?

I was hoping for 7 A*s, 3 As, 2 Bs, and 1 C. But in the end I got 1 A*, 8 As, 2 Bs, and 2 Cs (I am retaking one of these Cs). I don't really have a preference of where I study but Medicine is the aim.

Thanks

You're fine too.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

These are the requirements of each school. Just apply to ones that you fit! :smile:
forget oxbride/ ucl/ imperial / birmingham etc

you need to drop your expectations of a top institution if you already had one but it is possible. Difficult, not impossible.
Original post by jazzenthusiast
Thanks all. I'm not sure if I want to do medicine anymore. It's been my dream since I was 5 but the competition is too rigid and it's too difficult to get into. I'll find something else to do.

If you're willing to give up that easily, then medicine's not for you.
I've wanted to do medicine for a long time and already have some work experience from last year in a GP surgery. However despite being a hard worker I absolutely under performed in my GCSEs due to screwing up a few exams. It sucks because the school I attend is very academic and on results day everyone was expecting me to get 10A*s or something and when I came out and told them I achieved 4A*s & 6As they all thought I was joking. One friend didn't believe me for ages until I saw him the next day and showed him the results sheets. I feel as if I have let everyone down including my teachers, parents, friends and most of all myself.

I've gotten over the issue and I only feel more motivated now to work unbelievably hard for my AS Levels. I will be taking Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and History. I have researched all of the revision techniques possible, structured a timetable, study plan and collected many resources. I plan to put a lot of focus into understanding & have researched all of the effective ways of grasping concepts. I also plan to do practice questions very often aswell as research more practicals tips.

I will also dedicate time to UKCAT practice on a regular basis, have signed up to 4 voluntary work positions and aim to get more work experience.

I want to do really well in my AS Levels and achieve AAAA and do very well in my A Levels the next year. I know it's easier said than done however my disappointment from my GCSE results, the sheer difficulty of A Levels and my determination to achieve my dream is definitely going to make me work harder than ever.

I'm so worried that my GCSE results will hold me back in comparison to the many many candidates who will be applying against me with much better grades at GCSE.

If I manage to do well in my AS Levels and A Levels (really well) can I still achieve the medicine dream? :frown:

I get exactly how you feel, I got 5 A*s and 5 As and have always dreamed of doing Medicine especially somewhere like Cambridge but when I opened my results it felt as though I'd lost all my chances of achieving my ambition, although I don't think I've done too badly, but compared to the other Medicine applicants on TSR who have like 10/12 A*s it feels like we don't stand a chance, but don't give up, like you I have convinced myself that I will give it my best these next two years, and then let's see what happens. And to all the people who think that we're moaning and just trying to show off our results, we have no intention of doing that, we're just really worried that our GCSEs might hold us back in the near future when applying for Medicine, I guess everyone has their own personal target whether it is of 1 A* or 10 A*s, it all depends on how you want to view your results, some people feel really happy achieving a few A*s while others hope to get all A*s, I just feel it's slightly unfair of people to make insensitive comments when we should be encouraging others to always try their best :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Saf0892
I got the same grades as you at GCSE and got in. There's only a few unis like Birmingham that have a strict cut off for GCSE's, most others use them alongside your A level grades and PS so just make sure they're up to scratch and you should be fine :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Hey what Uni did you get offered places in? Thanks :smile:
Thanks all. I'm not sure if I want to do medicine anymore. It's been my dream since I was 5 but the competition is too rigid and it's too difficult to get into. I'll find something else to do.

Don't ever give up on your dreams unless you have absolutely no chance left, and even then a ray of hope will find its way to you. If you're passionate about Medicine then go for it, what's done is done now, you can't change the past but you have the power to create the future, I felt the same way as you felt when I got my GCSE results but then I realised that my modest grades are probably a kick on the backside saying I'm going to have to work a million times harder these next two years. The most important thing now is to get the best A level grades and as much work experience as possible, yes we may not stand as great a chance as those with all A*s but atleast we can give it a shot. Just go for it :smile:
Do you guys know any universities that aren't too bothered about AS grades, I got BBBBD which isn't too good at all but I'm hoping that wouldn't affect my chances too much, will it?

Original post by NikNikNiken
Do you guys know any universities that aren't too bothered about AS grades, I got BBBBD which isn't too good at all but I'm hoping that wouldn't affect my chances too much, will it?

There are lots! Southampton is one of them :smile: If you have a scroll through these pages then you might find a few others as this is asked a lot :smile:

Are you comfortable you'll get AAA? If not there are other options too :smile:
Original post by BethaneyJ
There are lots! Southampton is one of them :smile: If you have a scroll through these pages then you might find a few others as this is asked a lot :smile:

Are you comfortable you'll get AAA? If not there are other options too :smile:

Well, I'm hoping I'll get the grades ahahah (yes that's nervous laughter) but thank you anyway :smile:

Reply 9909
Hiya everyone, i've noticed that not all med schools list their required AS grades. I know most only ask for AAAb but is there anywhere that asks for 4 A's at AS? Just so I know to steer clear of that! ( I got aaab- the B in maths) :colondollar:
Original post by EOrr
Hiya everyone, i've noticed that not all med schools list their required AS grades. I know most only ask for AAAb but is there anywhere that asks for 4 A's at AS? Just so I know to steer clear of that! ( I got aaab- the B in maths) :colondollar:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

This might help :smile:
Reply 9911
Hi,

Not sure if I'm asking this in the right place, if not please direct me.
I'm in the process of re-drafting my PS, and I am completely aware of confidentiality of patients and the great important placed on it. However, I am talking about someone who made an impact on me in deciding medicine was for me. This person is an elderly person in a care home. Would it be best to leave them anonymous - although it sounds less personal and more difficult to write- or just mention their first name. I probably will leave them anonymous, as it's insensitive of me to talk about someone's difficulty and revealing any personal details, right?

Any help appreciated, thanks :smile:
Also, is there a thread for medicine personal statements?
Original post by Maryam A
Hi,

Not sure if I'm asking this in the right place, if not please direct me.
I'm in the process of re-drafting my PS, and I am completely aware of confidentiality of patients and the great important placed on it. However, I am talking about someone who made an impact on me in deciding medicine was for me. This person is an elderly person in a care home. Would it be best to leave them anonymous - although it sounds less personal and more difficult to write- or just mention their first name. I probably will leave them anonymous, as it's insensitive of me to talk about someone's difficulty and revealing any personal details, right?

Any help appreciated, thanks :smile:
Also, is there a thread for medicine personal statements?

Hey :smile:

There is a personal statement help section on tsr where ps helpers will go over your ps and try to help you improve it. They're really useful and really helped me with my ps this time last year :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/About_Personal_Statement_Help
Reply 9913
Original post by Quackers93
Hey :smile:

There is a personal statement help section on tsr where ps helpers will go over your ps and try to help you improve it. They're really useful and really helped me with my ps this time last year :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/About_Personal_Statement_Help

Thanks :smile: Just want to ask, do you know how secure it is? It's just I am very cautious when it comes to attaching my PS online in any way.
Thanks :smile: Just want to ask, do you know how secure it is? It's just I am very cautious when it comes to attaching my PS online in any way.

I'm pretty certain that its very secure. All the ps helpers are current/graduated students so no risk of them using your ps and the ps help bit is set up so that it's all private so that no other tsr users other than the helpers/moderators can see it I think. As far as I know it is pretty safe :smile: but if you want to know more you'd be better asking a helper or one of the mods about it :smile:
Original post by StudentAT
I get exactly how you feel, I got 5 A*s and 5 As and have always dreamed of doing Medicine especially somewhere like Cambridge but when I opened my results it felt as though I'd lost all my chances of achieving my ambition, although I don't think I've done too badly, but compared to the other Medicine applicants on TSR who have like 10/12 A*s it feels like we don't stand a chance, but don't give up, like you I have convinced myself that I will give it my best these next two years, and then let's see what happens. And to all the people who think that we're moaning and just trying to show off our results, we have no intention of doing that, we're just really worried that our GCSEs might hold us back in the near future when applying for Medicine, I guess everyone has their own personal target whether it is of 1 A* or 10 A*s, it all depends on how you want to view your results, some people feel really happy achieving a few A*s while others hope to get all A*s, I just feel it's slightly unfair of people to make insensitive comments when we should be encouraging others to always try their best :smile:

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with your gcse's! Yes there are always people who have 10A*'s etc, but not everyone that applies to medicine has this, and this does not necessarily mean that they are a better candidate than you are. There is so much more to medicine than grades, many universities would choose a person who has good grades (like you), interviews well, is personable/compassionate and a well rounded person, over someone who has top grades but does not seem nearly so personable. I have a friend that got into Manchester to study medicine with a couple of A*s some A's and a couple of B's. I also have a friend that has all A*s and got rejected from everywhere but Cambridge. Grades are not everything.

Original post by lizmorg469
Seriously, there is nothing wrong with your gcse's! Yes there are always people who have 10A*'s etc, but not everyone that applies to medicine has this, and this does not necessarily mean that they are a better candidate than you are. There is so much more to medicine than grades, many universities would choose a person who has good grades (like you), interviews well, is personable/compassionate and a well rounded person, over someone who has top grades but does not seem nearly so personable. I have a friend that got into Manchester to study medicine with a couple of A*s some A's and a couple of B's. I also have a friend that has all A*s and got rejected from everywhere but Cambridge. Grades are not everything.

Hey I guess you're right, thanks for that :smile: I'm going to work on making myself a well rounded person as you suggested because as you said a strong candidate isn't just someone with the top grades, but is a person with a passion for Medicine and a good personality :smile:

(edited 11 years ago)
Joining in on the angst because I got back from holiday, got my AS results and realised that my life plan is pretty much ruined.

I got 4A*s and 6As at GCSE.
And the accursed envelope of death (AS results) revealed: ABBB.

I'm also doing the YASS Course and the Extended Project, I have work experience in a hospital lined up for next week, and I've done a fair bit of volunteering.

My tutor has pretty much told me that there is no way in hell that I'm getting into medicine but my head of year thinks that its worth giving a shot.

I'm running out of time and I don't know whether I should even bother with applying to medicine, a lot of the universities I have looked at seem to say that they don't look at AS results and have an A level requirement of AAAb, which I'm certain I'll be able to make...BUT I'm just really confused right now, if anyone can tell me if it's worthwhile applying or if my tutor is right and I have no chance in hell...please let me know, thank you! :smile:
Reply 9918
Original post by marzzbarr
Joining in on the angst because I got back from holiday, got my AS results and realised that my life plan is pretty much ruined.

I got 4A*s and 6As at GCSE.
And the accursed envelope of death (AS results) revealed: ABBB.

I'm also doing the YASS Course and the Extended Project, I have work experience in a hospital lined up for next week, and I've done a fair bit of volunteering.

My tutor has pretty much told me that there is no way in hell that I'm getting into medicine but my head of year thinks that its worth giving a shot.

I'm running out of time and I don't know whether I should even bother with applying to medicine, a lot of the universities I have looked at seem to say that they don't look at AS results and have an A level requirement of AAAb, which I'm certain I'll be able to make...BUT I'm just really confused right now, if anyone can tell me if it's worthwhile applying or if my tutor is right and I have no chance in hell...please let me know, thank you! :smile:

Those AS grades are fine for most medical schools so really don't worry. Definitely apply as long as you predicted AAA because you have as good chance as any.
Reply 9919

PS Help is a private area of the forum and any threads that are created can only be seen by PS Helpers who are all undergraduates / degree holders so your personal statement will be safe from plagiarism. Additionally, this section cannot be seen by any search engines (e.g. Google) or plagiarism software (e.g. TurnItIn)

More information can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=240&a=89

Latest

Trending

Trending