The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9960
could someone give me a list of unis that dont look at AS results?

thanks
Original post by myyrh
yep that's the right thing to do so don't worry about being told off.

haha thank you!! :biggrin:
Reply 9962
This has probably been asked but I'll ask anyway. Most unis have a fourth A level requirement, but is it advantageous if someone has a higher grade? So if the fourth AS requirement is a B, would someone with an A get an advantage over someone with a B even though they both meet the requirements? Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000
Reply 9963
Original post by lala12
This has probably been asked but I'll ask anyway. Most unis have a fourth A level requirement, but is it advantageous if someone has a higher grade? So if the fourth AS requirement is a B, would someone with an A get an advantage over someone with a B even though they both meet the requirements? Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000

In most cases the one with the higher grade at AS would not be at an advantage. However some medical schools do place a lot more emphasis on AS grades than others so these may give preference to those with a higher fourth AS grade.
Hi
I'm interested in Southampton, Barts, Kings and BSMS for the 5 yr medicine degree.
Any opinions on whether this is a good choice (either I have a bad chance at one of these uni's or a better chance somewhere else) is much appreciated

GCSEs - 3A*, 5A, 4B, 1C (A in Maths, English and A*s in Sciences)

AS - AAAAC (Maths, Chemistry, human biology, psychology and a C in General Studies)

A2 Predicted - A*A*A A (A* chem and maths, A in human biology and general studies) (Teacher said maybe an A* in biology too)

UKCAT; 2760, 690 avg
VR - 600
QR - 710
AR - 630
DA - 820

My personal statement is/should be average at minimum, hopefully a bit better.

Thanks
Reply 9965
Original post by matthewalex
Hi
I'm interested in Southampton, Barts, Kings and BSMS for the 5 yr medicine degree.
Any opinions on whether this is a good choice (either I have a bad chance at one of these uni's or a better chance somewhere else) is much appreciated

GCSEs - 3A*, 5A, 4B, 1C (A in Maths, English and A*s in Sciences)

AS - AAAAC (Maths, Chemistry, human biology, psychology and a C in General Studies)

A2 Predicted - A*A*A A (A* chem and maths, A in human biology and general studies) (Teacher said maybe an A* in biology too)

UKCAT; 2760, 690 avg
VR - 600
QR - 710
AR - 630
DA - 820

My personal statement is/should be average at minimum, hopefully a bit better.

Thanks

Barts is a good choice
Southampton is always a gamble and your personal statement would have to be outstanding for a chance of an offer
Kings maybe slightly risky because of your GCSE grades
BSMS would be okay
You should consider universities like Newcastle, Durham, Plymouth and Exeter as your UKCAT score would pretty much guarantee you an interview at these medical schools.
Is it worth applying to st Georges with 648 average? The cut off last year was 625 but I'm worried it might go up meaning I'll be rejected even before the interview stage :/
Reply 9967
Original post by TaraBelle
Is it worth applying to st Georges with 648 average? The cut off last year was 625 but I'm worried it might go up meaning I'll be rejected even before the interview stage :/

I don't really think it would increase that much. St Georges still interview majority of their applicants so unless everyone is dishing out 700s this year I think you'll be okay :smile:
Reply 9968
Hi

I'm really unsure about where I stand at the moment...

GCSE: 9A*s and 3As
AS: 4 As in biology, chemistry, maths and psychology (im dropping psychology for A2)
UKCAT: VR - 560
QR - 720
AR - 710
DA - 620
(average of 652.5)

I have the relevant work experience and stuff like that but i'm just worried that my UKCAT has dragged my chances of getting into a UKCAT uni down by quite a lot. I was REALLY hoping to apply to Queen Mary, King's and St George's. Do you think I still have a good chance or should I rethink any of my uni options? I would really appreciate any help!!!

Reply 9969
Original post by star_123
Hi

I'm really unsure about where I stand at the moment...

GCSE: 9A*s and 3As
AS: 4 As in biology, chemistry, maths and psychology (im dropping psychology for A2)
UKCAT: VR - 560
QR - 720
AR - 710
DA - 620
(average of 652.5)

I have the relevant work experience and stuff like that but i'm just worried that my UKCAT has dragged my chances of getting into a UKCAT uni down by quite a lot. I was REALLY hoping to apply to Queen Mary, King's and St George's. Do you think I still have a good chance or should I rethink any of my uni options? I would really appreciate any help!!!

Queen Mary Barts (unless you want an angry mob chasing you down the street :tongue:) would not be a good choice because you won't have a high enough UCAS tariff.
Kings would be fine and so would St Georges. You may want to consider universities like Birmingham (provided all GCSE core subjects are at A*) and Cardiff because you have very strong GCSE grades.
Reply 9970
Original post by myyrh
Queen Mary Barts (unless you want an angry mob chasing you down the street :tongue:) would not be a good choice because you won't have a high enough UCAS tariff.
Kings would be fine and so would St Georges. You may want to consider universities like Birmingham (provided all GCSE core subjects are at A*) and Cardiff because you have very strong GCSE grades.

I'll stick to saying Barts from now on :smile:

Thanks for your help!! Would my UCAS tariff be high enough if I decided to take psychology for A2 as a fourth subject. It's just that I only just scraped an A at AS so didn't think I would be able to get an A at A2 but i really enjoy it as a subject.
Reply 9971
I'll stick to saying Barts from now on :smile:

Thanks for your help!! Would my UCAS tariff be high enough if I decided to take psychology for A2 as a fourth subject. It's just that I only just scraped an A at AS so didn't think I would be able to get an A at A2 but i really enjoy it as a subject.

It may be high enough if you did that but you'd need to be predicted A*A*AA at least to stand a chance.
Reply 9972
Original post by myyrh
It may be high enough if you did that but you'd need to be predicted A*A*AA at least to stand a chance.

My predicted grades are A*A*A, so would you recommend that I don't apply to Barts if I don't take psychology? :smile:
Reply 9973
My predicted grades are A*A*A, so would you recommend that I don't apply to Barts if I don't take psychology? :smile:

Yep.
Reply 9974
Original post by myyrh
Yep.

OK.

How about if I did the extended project (if I was to be predicted an A) instead of taking psychology? Would that push my UCAS tariff high enough?
(edited 11 years ago)
After two years, this thread has reached the end of it's life :rip:

For the new angst thread, please see here

/thread

Latest

Trending

Trending