The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
-beads-
Cardiff are pretty heavy on GCSE's, as are Bristol.

Cardiff look at your top 9 and expect you to score atleast 21 points (although it fluctuates anually) using the following systen:

A* = 3, A = 2, B = 1; these must include Maths and English.

For Cardiff, GCSE > AS + UKCAT.

If you don't meet the minimum GCSE, your application will pretty much be binned, sorry.

Good luck, other than that, it's a pretty cool Medical school. :smile:

It was 23 points last cycle. This cycle there is potential for it to rise to 24.

roryb93
Hi I'm applying for medicine next year to Cardiff and Bristol. Both ask for AA in additional science at GCSE level I only got an AB. Also Cardiff state that any applicants who have less than 5 A*'s at GCSE are unlikely to get through. I had 1 A* 6 A's 3 B's and a D at GCSE level. Are GCSE's only used as extra guidance for the interviewers or are they going to throw my application away straight away? I did get 4 A's at AS level so was hoping that would be enough for my application to be considered.

Any thoughts? Thanks :smile:

I wouldn't go for Cardiff :smile: They won't even look at your application.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1781
Hi guys, if someone could reply quickly because I need to send my UCAS form.

Okay, so due to my dreadful, shameful UKCAT score, I'm thinking of applying to Imperial.

However, this year has gone really BADLY for me (no mitigating circumstances, just have massively underperformed)

GCSEs: 1A*, 9A's, 1B
AS: ABBB
Predicted: AAA
Personal statement: really good, got it checked by several medics and teachers
UKCAT: VR 430 QR 530 AR 570 DA 570
So, incredibly incredibly bad!

Currently I've applied to Bristol/Nottingham/Leicester/St.Georges

Since Bristol is ridiculously competitive as they don't require any admissions test, do you think I should switch Bristol to Imperial?
I just have a feeling I will perform better in the BMAT.
I can still be entered for the late entry which is up till 15th October.

Do you think I should give a shot to a BMAT uni?

Or are my stats really poor for Imperial?
I checked out lots of applicant profiles in the other thread and it seems Imperial are mostly concerned with the BMAT score.

So any help?
Organ
It was 23 points last cycle. This cycle there is potential for it to rise to 24.

I wouldn't go for Cardiff :smile: They won't even look at your application.

Organ, show me the link where you need 23 points for GCSE's. I'm thinking about applying their but now I've seen this, I'm not too sure.

I got 5.5A*'s, 3A's and 1B (top 9 GCSE's). They don't count short courses so the 0.5A* doesn't apply. Therfore, I have 22 points. Should I apply or not?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1783
I know Bristol is ultra competitive but I am applying there:biggrin:

What do you need in terms of GCSE's, AS modules and E.C's to be competitive?

I got:

6A* 4A and B in GCSE's (A* in the main subjects...maths, english etc..)

A's in all modules at AS apart from one chem module which was 79%

7 months volunteering at care home and 1 week at hospital

and some E.C's

*Asking for friend. Any help or advice and tips highly appriciated

Hi, at GCSE I received the following grades:
Science (double award) - AA
History (short course) - A*
French - C
Geography (short cours) - C
R.E - B
English lit and lang - BB
Maths - B
Art - C

At AS level:
Maths - A
Biology - A
Chemistry - A
Psychology - A

Predictions for A2 - AA*A* in above order.

UKCAT - 720

I have relevant work experience and voluntary work but considering my academic background am I suitable canditate to be offered a place?

Choice of universities in order:
King's college London
Manchester
Keele
(One other) ??

If they're not suitable can you suggest universities that are likely to offer me a place with my academic background?
Do you know anyone with similiar grades who got into medicine because my GCSE grades are not really high?

Thanks in advance
Bump? :frown:
Reply 1786
I think Manchester want a minimum of 4 grade A GCSEs so perhaps scrub that.
you said asking for a friend but then used "my"?
Reply 1788
wabbajack123
you said asking for a friend but then used "my"?

Even behind a computer screen people don't want to fess up to dodgy GCSEs on TSR :wink:
JCM89
Even behind a computer screen people don't want to fess up to dodgy GCSEs on TSR :wink:

i do believe you've stumbled on the new definition of geek :cool:
Reply 1790
Those academics would get an interview at Newcastle. :smile:

(In reference to your "one other" choice.)
(edited 13 years ago)
I think Kings is a bad idea because they weigh your previous academic results with the UKCAT since your score is amazing but your GCSEs are good but not great it would be hard to get in. However your UKCAT is practically free from cut of scores so use it for lets say Barts and the London or Sheffield which have a high cut of score. Around 670+ i think. I went to Barts open day and the university of London and they said that the true reality is if you meet their minimum GCSE requirements and there UKCAT cut of then we will interview you. They check that you have work experience and your PS is good but the grim reality is the same as above.

Your As grades are perfect and your A2 predictions. From what i can see is that you worked hard so i think you deserver a chance :biggrin:

An alternative would be to try a BMAT school like Imperial or UCL but i don't see the point with a UKCAT like yours, but again that's up to you.

I hope this helps :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
so basically...I want to apply for BM6 widening access medicine

predicted grades: AAB
Work exp: 1 week local surgery..sahdowing GP and housevisits
A day at St. Charles mental health institute
1 month in INDIA, with orhtopedic consultant and General surg
St. John ambulance
Cancer research UK

Extra caruccular: Tabla
flute
bonsai
school mentor

UKCAT: 560

Im worrried about my UKCAT score....do u think I should apply??
plz help if you can...Reps will be given
(edited 13 years ago)
so basically...I want to apply for BM6 widening access medicine

predicted grades: AAB
Work exp: 1 week local surgery..sahdowing GP and housevisits
A day at St. Charles mental health institute
1 month in INDIA, with orhtopedic consultant and General surg
St. John ambulance
Cancer research UK

Extra caruccular: Tabla
flute
bonsai
school mentor

UKCAT: 560

Im worrried about my UKCAT score....do u think I should apply??
For God's sake...
Just apply OP. I had less (academically and experience wise) than you and I got an interview for BM6. Admitedly, not an actual place -but that was probably due to my epic fail at interview. Apply. Good luck.
digitalis
For God's sake...

do u think I have a chance.....Ive got a pretty strong PS
greenford
do u think I have a chance.....Ive got a pretty strong PS
Everyone has a "strong" personal statement. Just apply if you want to, what's the worse that could happen?

What would be your alternative anyway? :s-smilie: It's the 4th of October, it's a bit late to be deciding whether or not you're applying.
(edited 13 years ago)
Fusilero
Everyone has a "strong" personal statement. Just apply if you want to, what's the worse that could happen?

What would be your alternative anyway? :s-smilie: It's the 4th of October, it's a bit late to be deciding whether or not you're applying.

By strong PS...I meant I have good range of work exp. inclulding work exp. in India with orthopedic consultant, General surgeon, shadowed a GP + housevisits, cancer research UK, St. Johns Ambulance, Shadowing senior nurse at st. Charles mental Institute....

PS. I have already done my med personal statement, done my choices, finsihed my UCAS application but I was hesitating with a low UKCAT score
greenford
By strong PS...I meant I have good range of work exp. inclulding work exp. in India with orthopedic consultant, General surgeon, shadowed a GP + housevisits, cancer research UK, St. Johns Ambulance, Shadowing senior nurse at st. Charles mental Institute....

PS. I have already done my med personal statement, done my choices, finsihed my UCAS application but I was hesitating with a low UKCAT score
What's the worse that could happen - you don't get in? What would you apply to otherwise?

Latest

Trending

Trending