The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
not surprised....its getting way too common nowadays.
He wasn't denied a place, he received offers the first time but had a 'change of heart' about his choice of course.
algérie_mon_amour
And you have any rep power? lol

This thread has been discussed before and the guy has defended himself and shown how the BBC actually misrepresented his story.

No, but i wanna leave him a little message too.
Reply 43
This also higlights why people shouldn't just target the "AAA" universities thinking they're the best.

With increasingy numbers of people applying, getting an offer is becoming more and more difficult. There's no harm in looking at those universities with lower typical offers as they can be just as good.

There are a number of universities who are a comparable standard to some of the Russell Group universities he's applied for. Aberdeen, fo example, with their BBB - CCC offers. A very good universities just not popular with English students due to the distance. This brings the typical offer down in order to attract students.

I use Aberystwyth as an example in my area (politics/international relations). Better than my university (Durham) but don't have the AAA typical offer.

No need to turn your nose up at them or not to consider them in Extra or Clearing.
River85
This also higlights why people shouldn't just target the "AAA" universities thinking they're the best.

With increasingy numbers of people applying, getting an offer is becoming more and more difficult. There's no harm in looking at those universities with lower typical offers as they can be just as good.

There are a number of universities who are a comparable standard to some of the Russell Group universities he's applied for. Aberdeen, fo example, with their BBB - CCC offers. A very good universities just not popular with English students due to the distance. This brings the typical offer down in order to attract students.

I use Aberystwyth as an example in my area (politics/international relations). Better than my university (Durham) but don't have the AAA typical offer.

No need to turn your nose up at them or not to consider them in Extra or Clearing

Yes, but come on, what sounds better and what looks better on your C.V., a degree from Aberstwyth in Politics/International Relations or a degree from Durham in Politics/International Relations.

It's funny you should compare those two universities because I have a friend who went to Abersthwyth to do his first degree and then he went to do a Masters at Durham (both in History). He said he went to Durham for his Masters because he regreted going to a poor university to study for his first degree.

So it's inevitable, all the studetns with top grades wnat to study at the top unis. Call it snobbery if you want, but that's life!!!
Reply 45
T. Hereford
Yes, but come on, what sounds better and what looks better on your C.V., a degree from Aberstwyth in Politics/International Relations or a degree from Durham in Politics/International Relations.

Oh do stop it with your prestige whoring.

I'd rather be at a department who can offer more world leading research, better teaching, and don't treat their students like crap.

An employer will not employ someone "just cos they went to Durham".

It's funny you should compare those two universities because I have a friend who went to Abersthwyth to do his first degree and then he went to do a Masters at Durham (both in History). He said he went to Durham for his Masters because he regreted going to a poor university to study for his first degree.

History is not International Relations.

So it's inevitable, all the studetns with top grades wnat to study at the top unis. Call it snobbery if you want, but that's life!!!

All I'm saying is that there is no harm in looking at equally good universities. I'm not saying the mindset isn't understanable.
Reply 46
Old.

Latest

Trending

Trending