The Student Room Group

Has anyone gone on a study abroad program without achieving an average grade of 60%?

Hi,I study at a London university and I just recently got my exam results back and have a weighted average of 59.8% throughout my 2 years at university.I had applied for a study abroad year, however, my university is denying me the opportunity to go abroad since I did not achieve the 60.0% (2:1) grade.I want to know why there is this 60.0 minimum requirement to go on a study abroad program and if anyone has ever gone on a study year abroad without achieving the minimum required grade of 60.0.Kind regards.
Hi, Ap1714. I think that practices in other universities may not matter terribly much in this case - my guess would be that your university is entitled to set its requirements where it feels appropriate. I would imagine that setting this requirement is partly to do with their agreements with other universities about the academic standard of the students they are receiving, and probably partly to do with not over-straining candidates who are already struggling. Study abroad can be very taxing!

Do you have a strong relationship with any of your lecturers so as to ask about what you could do about this (frustratingly small) gap between what you need and what you have? I think in this case a human connection is your best bet. Someone who knows you are a good, hardworking, committed student and who has confidence you will represent their institution well while abroad might be able to help you find a way to get what you want.
Reply 2
Original post by the_cheerful_bat
Hi, Ap1714. I think that practices in other universities may not matter terribly much in this case - my guess would be that your university is entitled to set its requirements where it feels appropriate. I would imagine that setting this requirement is partly to do with their agreements with other universities about the academic standard of the students they are receiving, and probably partly to do with not over-straining candidates who are already struggling. Study abroad can be very taxing!Do you have a strong relationship with any of your lecturers so as to ask about what you could do about this (frustratingly small) gap between what you need and what you have? I think in this case a human connection is your best bet. Someone who knows you are a good, hardworking, committed student and who has confidence you will represent their institution well while abroad might be able to help you find a way to get what you want.
Hi, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I dont have a lecturer with whom I share a strong relationship. The uni sent me an email saying the case has been approved and they are suspending the 60% regulation. Then they turned right around and said no they are not doing that. What annoys me even more is that this year has not been the best for me mentally, I’ve had a lot of family problems and conflicts within family. That’s why I couldnt complete 12/18 courseworks because I was drained mentally and physically. I have contemplated dropping out on several occasions too. I know that had I attempted the assessed courseworks, I would have easily gotten over 60%, and probably even a First Class.
I'm so sorry to hear that. I can see why that number of missed courseworks might cause a problem. What a pity for you though! I do hope you are able to keep going, and finish successfully.
Reply 4
Original post by the_cheerful_bat
I'm so sorry to hear that. I can see why that number of missed courseworks might cause a problem. What a pity for you though! I do hope you are able to keep going, and finish successfully.

Thanks for the kind words.

It’s just so frustrating that the university will deny me this opportunity as a result of this minor issue. I personally don’t think it is fair and every point of reasoning they have given, I have countered and invalidated them all. They are just being stubborn.
It’s actually crazy.

All I wanted to know is if other universities or my university has ever sent a student on a study abroad year without them having achieved the average grade of 60%. If this has occurred, then there is a precedent for me to state.

I attend Queen Mary University of London by the way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending