The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Module/Course Selection - First Year

Hey guys,

I accepted my offer to St Andrews a couple of weeks ago and now I wanted to have a look at the modules/courses and maybe "pre"-select some.
I did indeed read the Pre-Advising guide etc. however I still didn't understand how exactly the course selection works. Let's say for example: I saw that there is a general Biology course (BL1101), however, when I'm on the module-selection page there are tons of different and specific Biology courses (such as Human Physiology of Diving, Marine Ecology etc.) What does that mean? How do I select the courses and is it true that I can take only 3 courses per semester?

I'd be glad to hear from you guys,
Thanks in advance,

Paulina

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, firstly welcome to St Andrews! :biggrin:

All the module descriptions should give you a module 'code' e.g. BL1101. As it's your first year (unless you're direct entry) you can only take modules beginning with BL1. The other modules you'll see may have BL2/BL3/BL4 - these are for second year/honours students.

Generally yes, you can only take 3 courses per semester - as you have to have 120 credits per year, 60 per semester, and most modules are 20 credits each.

I hope that helps - although I'm an Arts student I'd expect the advising process to be similar - but if any science-types want to correct me/add something feel free :p:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Hey there,
thanks for your quick response!
As for my course selection for the Semester I think i understood how to choose it (so pretty much for Biology, I can only choose BL1... or for Psych only PS1...), but what about the choice for the whole year, there's neither BL1... or PS1... only BL4 or PS4... And is the one course that I have to take for the entire year included in the 3 courses? Or is it a fourth one?

Thanks
Reply 3
Paulina92
Hey there,
thanks for your quick response!
As for my course selection for the Semester I think i understood how to choose it (so pretty much for Biology, I can only choose BL1... or for Psych only PS1...), but what about the choice for the whole year, there's neither BL1... or PS1... only BL4 or PS4... And is the one course that I have to take for the entire year included in the 3 courses? Or is it a fourth one?

Thanks

As far as I know there are no year long modules for first or second year students, so you just have to choose modules for each semester ensuring the total number of credits is 120.
Generally, you take 3 modules in 1st semester and then another 3 in second semester. :biggrin:
Reply 4
dont worry about it too much, you will meet with your adviser so they can confirm your module choices.
Reply 5
Make sure you pick the modules required for your course however! (You can find them here in the listings for your school)

Yes, typically you take 3 modules per semester, but being a matriculated student you can attend any lecture you wish without being enrolled on the module.
Reply 6
Bucky!

Yes, typically you take 3 modules per semester, but being a matriculated student you can attend any lecture you wish without being enrolled on the module.

really?? are you sure?
Reply 7
Sambo2
really?? are you sure?

As far as I know, it's true, at least for us arts students. We were heavily encouraged to attend other philosophy lectures if we weren't enrolled in it. We were also told about any IR, English or History lectures which might be of some relevance/interest to us. :rolleyes: I'm not so sure that anyone could stroll on into a medicine lecture though!:p:
Reply 8
chester.
As far as I know, it's true, at least for us arts students. We were heavily encouraged to attend other philosophy lectures if we weren't enrolled in it. We were also told about any IR, English or History lectures which might be of some relevance/interest to us. :rolleyes: I'm not so sure that anyone could stroll on into a medicine lecture though!:p:

yeh I was thinking that..
Reply 9
Hey guys,
thanks for your help ;-)
I checked out the requirements for the specific degrees. So, when do I eventually have to choose my degree? And how easy is it to switch "schools"? So, for example from Psychology to Biology?
Reply 10
chester.
I'm not so sure that anyone could stroll on into a medicine lecture though!:p:

Actually, my bad, I think that Medicine is the exception to the rule.
Reply 11
Paulina92
Hey guys,
thanks for your help ;-)
I checked out the requirements for the specific degrees. So, when do I eventually have to choose my degree? And how easy is it to switch "schools"? So, for example from Psychology to Biology?

It should be no problem, as long as you have the pre-reqs to do the modules in the other schools. I've just switched from 2nd year Chem to 2nd year Comp Sci.
Reply 12
Can I borrow your thread for a moment? My question is about practically the same thing.

To get all the credits, I need another four Level 1 (year 1) modules - and in the list for biology the only ones starting with BL1 are Biology I (BL1101) and II (BL1102)! Does this mean I have to take 4 modules outside Biology? Or should I be taking Level 2 courses as well?
Reply 13
EmeraldBoa
Can I borrow your thread for a moment? My question is about practically the same thing.

To get all the credits, I need another four Level 1 (year 1) modules - and in the list for biology the only ones starting with BL1 are Biology I (BL1101) and II (BL1102)! Does this mean I have to take 4 modules outside Biology? Or should I be taking Level 2 courses as well?

Ok, so you have to take BL1101 & BL1102 for your degree, correct?

This gives 40 credits. You then have to find another 80 from whatever modules you wish! (As long as you meet the prerequisites)

I wouldn't stress too much over this selection. This selection isn't final. You'll meet with your advisor during freshers week, and you're still allowed to switch modules during the first 2 weeks of the semester.
Reply 14
Bucky!

I wouldn't stress too much over this selection. This selection isn't final. You'll meet with your advisor during freshers week, and you're still allowed to switch modules during the first 2 weeks of the semester.

So I can switch degrees easily? Eg. From Psych to Bio?
Also, I have another question (:biggrin: )- I applied for Psychology -> BSc Honours.
Do I still have to re-apply for my honours degree after 3rd year, or am I automatically accepted to do my Honours?
Reply 15
Oh, good. Thanks. :smile:
Reply 16
I applied for Psychology -> BSc Honours.
Do I still have to re-apply for my honours degree after 3rd year, or am I automatically accepted to do my Honours?
You have to meet the requirements for honours in whatever school you want to do it in, and you will probably have to fill in a little form saying you want to do honours but it's not re-application exactly.
Reply 18
I'm at the same stage as Paulina but confused for a different reason. All I can learn from the website about times for classes is the "class hour" for a module. For example, my biology class hour is at 10am. I assume this means everyday, but it doesn't actually say that.

I'm concerned about my other module choices. They all have stated class hours, so I can make sure the class hours don't conflict with each other (i.e. Don't pick a module that also has 10am as the class hour). What I'm worried about is that this class hour is the only timing given at all, or that's how it seems to me. In the description of the modules, it explains what else you do. For example, the biology module also has several lectures and also 3 hours of practical each week I think. But you aren't told what times they happen at.

Now I feel like I'm choosing modules that I want to do, but there's a good chance that some part will conflict, like lectures for one module are at the same time as practicals for another. With no timetable information for anything except the "class hour", how am I supposed to make a choice? Or is it just a case of "pick what you want to do, and if it doesn't work then the advisor will tell you"?
Reply 19
RDR
I'm at the same stage as Paulina but confused for a different reason. All I can learn from the website about times for classes is the "class hour" for a module. For example, my biology class hour is at 10am. I assume this means everyday, but it doesn't actually say that.

I'm concerned about my other module choices. They all have stated class hours, so I can make sure the class hours don't conflict with each other (i.e. Don't pick a module that also has 10am as the class hour). What I'm worried about is that this class hour is the only timing given at all, or that's how it seems to me. In the description of the modules, it explains what else you do. For example, the biology module also has several lectures and also 3 hours of practical each week I think. But you aren't told what times they happen at.

Now I feel like I'm choosing modules that I want to do, but there's a good chance that some part will conflict, like lectures for one module are at the same time as practicals for another. With no timetable information for anything except the "class hour", how am I supposed to make a choice? Or is it just a case of "pick what you want to do, and if it doesn't work then the advisor will tell you"?

The latter sounds like a better action plan, after all your advisor meets you in person and discusses all these things with you. So don't worry too much, just have a clear idea of ALL the modules that interest you and then make the decision which ones to choose when you meet your advisor. Also advisor's can't STOP you from taking anything unless it clashes or you haven't got the pre-reqs so don't be disheartened when they may not agree with what you want to do. If you're sure you want to do it then tell them you want it.

Latest

Trending

Trending