The Student Room Group

Advice from graduates or students

I will be going to uni this year after taking a gap year. For my course i will be assessed 53% coursework 48% written exam.

Im a first generation going to university and really need the advice i can get. How is everything structured as for university courses as in is coursework due around the same time exams will be sat? I just want to really be prepared for whats to come. Do you structure time for coursework and revision.
Hey there, congrats on getting into uni, that's amazing that you're the first one in your family! I was the first generation to go to uni too and it's hard not having an idea of what's to come.

Coursework is generally spread throughout the semester (or year, if the module lasts for two semesters), but there's normally a final piece that falls just before exams, so that can be quite an intense period. It does really depend on the modules you take though, when you're selecting them it's a good idea to get really familiar with the module pages so you have a clear idea of how many different essays/ reports/ worksheets etc you'll have to submit. At the start of each semester you should receive a module outline which clearly says exactly what you'll have to do by when, how much it's worth etc. This is really useful to then plug in all your deadlines to a calendar or diary so you can work backwards and see when you need to start work on each piece.

Depending on the lecturer though, you'll get lots of advice about how to write your essays and revise for your exams, and your uni should offer additional study support on request - your uni library will be your friend there! If in doubt, reach out to your tutor who can either help advise you on structuring your time and meeting deadlines or point you to a uni service who can.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending