The Student Room Group

psychology + SEN teaching

what modules would you recommend taking in psychology to become an SEN teacher?
compulsory modules such as child development and cognitive function are one of the reasons i am choosing this course however there are selective modules as well. Does it matter which ones i take or should i just go for what i am interested in?
the options are: forensic psychology, and an introduction to business psychology (clinical psychology may be an options but it is unclear)
I am looking at the university of Kent.
Reply 1
Original post by Rubycoops11
compulsory modules such as child development and cognitive function are one of the reasons i am choosing this course however there are selective modules as well. Does it matter which ones i take or should i just go for what i am interested in?
the options are: forensic psychology, and an introduction to business psychology (clinical psychology may be an options but it is unclear)

Whatever ones you take wont really make a difference to employers post degree, it is more for you to develop interest but overall everyone will come out with the same degree. What will matter is your experiences after the degree and how you apply this knowledge.

Take care,

Greg
Original post by Rubycoops11

@Rubycoops11
There is some great advice here already. It doesn't matter Unit's wise really.

I have an MSc in Psychology and have worked in education for over 10 years now. What might interest you is to do an additional year such as a PGC SENDco qualification which has opened up a lot of job opportunities to me. There are a lot of licenced providers out there today, for me, Leeds Beckett is probably the best one, they are currently attracting a lot of international students on the back of their quality (and of course marketing). You would of course need to do your teacher training year first. SENDCo course's are some of the cheapest post grad course you can do

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest