The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I think its 'Carol Ann Duffy'
Reply 2
lol, but she's right, tough. I think in Higher you should be more aware of how to spell the authors' names, especially of the pieces that you are studying...

I'll say it briefly: Make a plan and adhere to it, because if you don't you will be lost and you will end up stating the same point perpetually.
In the first paragraph, intorduce the poem and the question briefly. Don't say too much.
In the second paragraph (and then in the resto of the essay) go on and describe briefly what the poem is about and the go on to answer the actual question, describe the techniques, talk about theme, quote, and always say why the imagery is effective. Your question tells me that you might need to pick quotes from the beginning of the poem and say how they link or foreshadow to what is going to be said afterwards.
In conclusion, sum up your points, say what you thought and how in your opinion it was effective.
What I wrote is just generalised; just to give you the rough idea. Don't think I was really helpful, though.
You could also refer to some books like How To Pass or something like that. And just try and write something, give it to your teacher; if the essay won't be too briliant, they will understand, they will guide you. That's what they are for, right? xd
Reply 3
The general critical essay structure is:

Introduction
Essay Points
Conclusion.

In your introduction, you include:

The author/poet/dramatist's name, and the title of the text

Rewording of the question

A short summary of what you're going to talk about.

E.g. "Choose a poem which uses technique. Show how the technique is employed, and go on to discuss it's overall impact on the reader's mind."

Norman McCaig's "Visiting Hour" is a poem which uses technique: enjambment. McCaig employs this technique by making the lines run constantly, and it's overall impact on the reader's mind is that it creates a sense of on-going movement."

In your case, it would be something along the lines of:
"'Carol Ann Duffy's "Shooting Star" has a beginning which prepares you for the rest of the poem. <After this, list/describe how it does prepare you for the poem.>"

In your essay points, the general things you include are:

Point - Think of this as a short introduction to your point. You should always try to begin it with a conjunctive to make your overall essay flow better.

Evidence - This is where you put quotes in. You should take a new line and indent it a bit. Sometimes it doesn't need to be quotes, you can paraphrase.

Analysis - This is where you relate back to your question, using both your point and evidence.
(PEA)

E.g. "(P)Moreover, the enjambment's has a tense and anxious impact on the reader's mind.

(E)This becomes apparent when he is walking through the hopsital, and notices depressing sites on his way:

"A corpse is trundled into a lift
where it rises, heavenward"

(E(2)) The enjambment, as stated before, depicts his movement. The lines at this point end abruptly, as if he is walking in an awkward fashion. This has a tense and anxious impact on the reader's mind because it shows how he is apprehensive about his visit, and how he seems to be delaying it by walking awkwardly"

(That as the most rubbish essay point I've ever written. It's been a few months since I even touched the bloody poem, so the quote and analysis is probably haywire. :p:)

In your conclusion, you must include:
[*]The author/poet/dramatist's name and the title of the text
[*]A balanced conclusion (basically, answering the question again)
[*]Although it's not needed, some new insights into the text can show that you know it well.

E.g. "In conclusion, McCaig employs enjambment by making the lines run constantly, and this has an overall impact of apprehension on the reader's mind because it relates to that abhorrent feeling of anxiety and dread that we get, and how it affects both our line of thought and movement."

Say what you're going to say, say it, and say what you've said. :p:

I hope this helps a bit.

Disclaimer: I haven't read the poem in a while so some things might be false; the general essay structure info still applies.
Reply 4
Thanks guys!
Title, shooting stars - they are our heroes.
We got told to write about that and then about the stanza one

Latest

Trending

Trending