The Student Room Group

GCSE Computer Science

Hi, I have decent grades for my other subjects but my Computer Science teacher is really bad and I find it quite difficult. I have very limited resources apart from the CGP book and seneca. Have any of you got any resources or tips to bump my grade up?
I liked watching MrBrownCS and s1perry on YouTube.

As someone who was a survivor of the atrocious OCR Paper 2 2023, I managed to nab an 8 (I was used to getting 9s but tbh after paper 2 I was relieved to have passed). I will always recommend past papers but tbh the CGP flashcards really helped too. When it comes to the coding questions (I don't know which exam board you do) make sure you read the full question and think it through before you write anything. Try think like the machine in this respect. You might want to start writing the code to take people's money, but you can't do that if you haven't got their credit card info, ygm? For everything else, I think understanding the processes helped a lot. It is hard to just memorise everything, you have to understand it. If it was layers, for instance, I would find some YouTube videos on it, then try understand, then answer some exam questions on it, then teach it all to my mum or classmate. That worked for me.

Good luck, and if you do OCR.... Good luck again
Reply 2
Original post by cuffingmajeans

As someone who was a survivor of the atrocious OCR Paper 2 2023, I managed to nab an 8 (I was used to getting 9s but tbh after paper 2 I was relieved to have passed). I will always recommend past papers but tbh the CGP flashcards really helped too. When it comes to the coding questions (I don't know which exam board you do) make sure you read the full question and think it through before you write anything. Try think like the machine in this respect. You might want to start writing the code to take people's money, but you can't do that if you haven't got their credit card info, ygm? For everything else, I think understanding the processes helped a lot. It is hard to just memorise everything, you have to understand it. If it was layers, for instance, I would find some YouTube videos on it, then try understand, then answer some exam questions on it, then teach it all to my mum or classmate. That worked for me.

Omg, thank you so much for responding to all my posts. :smile: It has helped so much. Much love 😊
Reply 3
Original post by cuffingmajeans

The theory is easier, but the python and coding is so dang hard. It’s stupid aswell because are teacher is so bad, he hasn’t even shown us one past exam question. He just makes the tests on ChatGPT! Any tips for coding specifically? Thankssss
Original post by dmedz
Omg, thank you so much for responding to all my posts. :smile: It has helped so much. Much love 😊

Not a problem at all, I remember how everything felt at the start of Y11 and would do anything to send myself the same advice to past me XD. Hit me up with a message if you ever need any more advice (they do still let messaging, right?)

Original post by dmedz
The theory is easier, but the python and coding is so dang hard. It’s stupid aswell because are teacher is so bad, he hasn’t even shown us one past exam question. He just makes the tests on ChatGPT! Any tips for coding specifically? Thankssss

Oml not ChatGPT. There's being bad at teaching and then there's just pure lazy. I'm so sorry, ik how difficult it is having a bad teacher (I had the same in Computer Science) Okay, so if you're very much struggling, I recommend going on the Python courses of freecodecamp or w3schools. Great to learn. Also try using Python as much as possible, and if the teacher puts up some question, don't just copy the answer/code, try figure it out yourself first, then the correct version if possible. Also this http://www.gcsecs.com/coding-challenges.html just python challenges, any will do. Build up your confidence. Practice is the only way you're going to get there and I cannot stress that enough. But before you do any of that, understand the language. Things like variables, data types, operators, control structures, and functions are all the basis of coding. And coding is just another language. The same thoughts are still there. I, personally, like to think how it would work in just plain English (forget pseudocode I quite literally label step by step like 1. I need to get three numbers 2. I need to add them together etc) and then find the best way to write that in code. Use the questions in your CGP book! And don't worry, coding just takes a bit of getting the hang of it. Don't worry so much throughout Y11, enjoy it, have fun. It is your last year. Best of luck!! Sorry for all the writing!

Quick Reply

Latest