The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
im so academic
I disagree imo.

You don't get tutorials at Manchester Met. :rofl:

Plus there are also the opportunities and "other stuff" your university gives you. So technically, it's not just the degree.

I'll reply to this as it is slightly related. What "other stuff"? Extra-curriculars? Why would a former polytechnic/non top 50/20/10/any university but Oxbridge provide inferior extra-curricular opportunities?
River85
I'll reply to this as it is slightly related. What "other stuff"? Extra-curriculars? Why would a former polytechnic/non top 50/20/10/any university but Oxbridge provide inferior extra-curricular opportunities?

E.g. at Imperial there's the UROP scheme, and I can't find any university that does something similar.

So, say if you want to go for a Masters (research) this will be helpful, right?
Reply 22
im so academic
E.g. at Imperial there's the UROP scheme, and I can't find any university that does something similar.

So, say if you want to go for a Masters (research) this will be helpful, right?

There are opportunities for undergraduates to assist with research in some way at most universities. Whether this is through summer academic internships or, in certain cases, academic journals designed for the publication of undergraduate work.
River85
There are opportunities for undergraduates to assist with research in some way at most universities. Whether this is through summer academic internships or, in certain cases, academic journals designed for the publication of undergraduate work.

But not a specific scheme though, right? (I believe Warwick also does something similar iirc, but not to the extent that Imperial does).

However, thank you for informing me on that. :yep:
Reply 24
What do you mean by politics? Standing as an MP? I don't think university reputation really matters there (a degree isn't even a requirement). It's also not significantly important in the Civil Serivce.

Yes, high government positions and senior civil servants are mainly Oxbridge graduates, with Durham/London/Edinburgh then the redbricks behind. But this doesn't mean politic is elitist, more that graduates from these universities are attracted to politics and, being amongst the most able graduates, are more likely to suceed and reach senior positions.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 25
im so academic
But not a specific scheme though, right?

I don't really care. It's almost 1 AM on a bloody Sunday morning.

There are other things like undergraduate research bursaries through the Nuffield Foundation (allowing students to undertake scientific research projects during the summer vacation). It's open to all.
Reply 26
River85
You mean UCL. G5 G5!!! Best multi-faculty university outside Oxbridge!

:biggrin:
River85
And, like Durham, desperately try to claim this "third oldest university in England" tag as if it means either of them are ancients (or are Oxford/Cambridge) :wink:this.

Lol, both unashamedly paste that all over their prospectuses. I'm amazed there hasn't been any lawsuits yet :s-smilie:

But you are forgetting the most important relationship,Both UCL and Cambridge were founded by disgruntled Oxford students :wink:
Sorry for those who are applying to Oxbridge because 'it's Oxbridge', but if you get the degree then you'd only find an issue of where it's from if the employer was an absolute ****, providing that you have the same degree and the same mark etc...there are arguments about it being easier to do better at some places etc...

Even for law, and this comes from the employers themselves (some of the UKs top firms) it doesn't matter either, you don't even need a degree in law for many. If anything, getting a 1st in whatever subject at a lower ranked uni with less money/facilities etc...is more of an achievement than getting a first at Oxbridge etc...

And I'm sorry "im so academic" but Warwicks maths department has been ranked higher than both Oxford and Cambridge, so sucks to be you.
Reply 28
heyimbored
Even for law, and this comes from the employers themselves (some of the UKs top firms) it doesn't matter either, you don't even need a degree in law for many. If anything, getting a 1st in whatever subject at a lower ranked uni with less money/facilities etc...is more of an achievement than getting a first at Oxbridge etc.

Yeah......

It's a little misleading saying you don't need a degree in law (you don't, to be a legal executive anyway). Those without a degree in law still need to take the CPE. In theory it shouldn't matter where the student takes the CPE as it's standardised. But this doesn't mean employers won't show some bias when looking at where an applicant has done their undergraduate degree.
River85
Those without a degree in law still need to take the CPE.

Although I am a dinosaur, it has been the GDL for some years now!
im so academic
Warwick - meh, Southampton - meh, Liverpool - meh. :nah: Too "low" for my liking.

The thing is, it's that it's not all about the university as well. It's about the grade, the subject, your ECs, your extras, summer internships, work experience, contacts etc etc.

You're so snobbish on here a lot of the time (I'm guessing that's why you have a lot of neg rep) but your posts really make me laugh. Must wind people up a fair bit!
Reply 31
nulli tertius
Although I am a dinosaur, it has been the GDL for some years now!

I usually call it the GDL, simply because I'm used to Northumbria, but don't some universities still call it the CPE?
very important. I only go to universities with good reputations.
Reply 33
safwaansh
I am in the process of looking at universities to apply to in September. I have already decided to do a degree in Airport Management. Although I hope to work in a airport on completion of the course I hope to learn some transferable skills to other jobs in case I can't get into a airport straight after graduation.

I just wanted to know how important is the reputation of a university? Will going to a less highly reputed university lessen my chances of getting a job. I've looked at league tables and none of my top three options are in the top 50.

My top 3 in order of preference are:

Bucks New University
Thames Valley University
City University

Thanks.

Go for City university.
River85
Yeah......

It's a little misleading saying you don't need a degree in law (you don't, to be a legal executive anyway). Those without a degree in law still need to take the CPE. In theory it shouldn't matter where the student takes the CPE as it's standardised. But this doesn't mean employers won't show some bias when looking at where an applicant has done their undergraduate degree.

Stop trying to be clever, that's not the main point of the post, at the start of the thread people were making out that to be successful in law you need a degree in law from Oxbridge, which is just wrong. I've asked several firms and spoken to several barristers and solicitors with degrees in law, and all of them have said the same, it doesn't actually matter where it's from unless the person who decides whether to accept you or reject you has a person bias, but then they're just as likely to have a bias against Oxbridge because of the general stereotype of them all being stuck up, which isn't true, but nor is the idea of Oxbridge graduates being better than the rest.

Plus I know someone who is a barrister on over £400k a year who has a law degree from Reading (I think it was Reading anyway)
River85
I usually call it the GDL, simply because I'm used to Northumbria, but don't some universities still call it the CPE?

The SRA and the Bar Council still call it the CPE but I think all universities call it the GDL. Universities don't want peculiar one-off qualifications that they can't neatly pigeonhole.
Who cares about the reputation when the school is soooo pretty! :yep:

heyimbored
Stop trying to be clever, that's not the main point of the post, at the start of the thread people were making out that to be successful in law you need a degree in law from Oxbridge, which is just wrong. I've asked several firms and spoken to several barristers and solicitors with degrees in law, and all of them have said the same, it doesn't actually matter where it's from unless the person who decides whether to accept you or reject you has a person bias, but then they're just as likely to have a bias against Oxbridge because of the general stereotype of them all being stuck up, which isn't true, but nor is the idea of Oxbridge graduates being better than the rest.

Plus I know someone who is a barrister on over £400k a year who has a law degree from Reading (I think it was Reading anyway)

University background is not as irrelevant as you make out but neither is it is important as many of the 6th formers who post on the legal forums make out either. It is all subtle and complicated and if you read 2-300 posts on the legal forums, particularly from the professional lawyers and legal academics who post there you would gain a better insight into what is an involved relationship.
Not very tbh. The amount university rep matters is massively overhyped by students. Reasonably sized firm, the partners are absolutely minted, none of them went to Oxbridge: http://www.mundays.co.uk/docs/people/banking.htm

If one looks at the 'meet our people' Magic Circle firm section a higher proportion have gone to Oxbridge, but they are in no way the majority. Employers want the best person to do the job, not the person who got the degree in the best place.
nulli tertius
University background is not as irrelevant as you make out but neither is it is important as many of the 6th formers who post on the legal forums make out either. It is all subtle and complicated and if you read 2-300 posts on the legal forums, particularly from the professional lawyers and legal academics who post there you would gain a better insight into what is an involved relationship.

I would

but I don't care :p:

Besides, the topic isn't on law

Latest

Trending

Trending