The Student Room Group

Rejected from Cambridge Law. What am I missing out on?

I just got rejected from the BA Law (senior status) at Cambridge. Put a lot of time and effort into it, so I'm bummed out - I got pooled and didn't get picked up.I can't help but feel as though I'm missing out on starting my legal career the right way. Can someone here help me gain some perspective? I'm 23 with a BSc (2:1) and MA (first) in International Affairs/development from reputable places in the Netherlands and Switzerland. I realised I wanted to change paths and qualify as a solicitor in the UK (with a human rights orientation), hence the application for another undergrad degree.

What am I really missing out on by not going to Oxbridge? I read a lot that Oxbridge law graduates have an edge in employment afterwards - what does that "edge" really entail? How would my experience be different going to a uni like queen mary for law? Or KCL, UCL, LSE?

Appreciating any input.
(edited 2 months ago)
You are not missing out on anything. Provided you get a good degree from a reputable university all careers in the law are open to you.

I went to a non-Oxbridge university, qualified at a Magic Circle law firm and am now a partner at a top 10 international law firm. I am involved in trainee solicitor recruitment and the quality of the candidate is far more important than the university they went to.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by katana10000
You are not missing out on anything. Provided you get a good degree from a reputable university all careers in the law are open to you.

I went to a non-Oxbridge university, qualified at a Magic Circle law firm and am now a partner at a top 10 international law firm. I am involved in trainee solicitor recruitment and the quality of the candidate is far more important than the university they went to.

Hi! Sorry for jumping in on this but I wanted to ask when you said 'quality of candidates', does it refer to soft skills or stellar grades or something else? :smile:
Original post by 5starmichelin
Hi! Sorry for jumping in on this but I wanted to ask when you said 'quality of candidates', does it refer to soft skills or stellar grades or something else? :smile:

Academic excellence is a given. The fact that you see many Oxbridge candidates joining top law firms is a function of their academic strength rather than because they went to Oxbridge.

But academics is just one aspect of what law firms look for. Has the candidate demonstrated an interest in commercial law (if applying to a commercial law firm), do they seem like they can act as part of team, have they performed well at interview, etc. are other equally important factors.

One of my children is currently going through the law applications process, didn’t get Oxbridge and is not worried as they have seen that it had zero impact on my career.

Once you start your first job your university is irrelevant it is more important to get a training contract at a top law firm rather than the choice of university in terms of impact or on your long term career. I can’t recall any client asking me which university I studied at!
Academic excellence is a given. The fact that you see many Oxbridge candidates joining top law firms is a function of their academic strength rather than because they went to Oxbridge.

But academics is just one aspect of what law firms look for. Has the candidate demonstrated an interest in commercial law (if applying to a commercial law firm), do they seem like they can act as part of team, have they performed well at interview, etc. are other equally important factors.

One of my children is currently going through the law applications process, didn’t get Oxbridge and is not worried as they have seen that it had zero impact on my career.

Once you start your first job your university is irrelevant it is more important to get a training contract at a top law firm rather than the choice of university in terms of impact or on your long term career. I can’t recall any client asking me which university I studied at!

Thanks so much for the response. It's quite reassuring. I guess it's easy to inflate prestige etc while looking from the outside in.
Reply 5
Original post by lamaker1
I just got rejected from the BA Law (senior status) at Cambridge. Put a lot of time and effort into it, so I'm bummed out - I got pooled and didn't get picked up.I can't help but feel as though I'm missing out on starting my legal career the right way. Can someone here help me gain some perspective? I'm 23 with a BSc (2:1) and MA (first) in International Affairs/development from reputable places in the Netherlands and Switzerland. I realised I wanted to change paths and qualify as a solicitor in the UK (with a human rights orientation), hence the application for another undergrad degree.

What am I really missing out on by not going to Oxbridge? I read a lot that Oxbridge law graduates have an edge in employment afterwards - what does that "edge" really entail? How would my experience be different going to a uni like queen mary for law? Or KCL, UCL, LSE?

Appreciating any input.

What college did you apply to, and were you pooled? I was also a senior status applicant who received a rejection.
Reply 6

Hi!

What qualities/experience/indicators of achievement does your firm look for in aspiring solicitors?

All the best!
Original post by bhssz70
What college did you apply to, and were you pooled? I was also a senior status applicant who received a rejection.

I applied to Hughes Hall. I did get pooled, so bittersweet to think it came pretty close.
Original post by WilfredTC
Hi!

What qualities/experience/indicators of achievement does your firm look for in aspiring solicitors?

All the best!

See my post above but qualities include academic excellence, ability to work in a team, demonstrating genuine interest in commercial law, taking initiative, etc. All commercial law firms look for these qualities. Ultimately we want to hire people who will work hard, do a good job and with whom we would enjoy working.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending