The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I looked at the dot but I don't understand? :frown:
Reply 21
lella_m
Refresh the page, stare at the dot in the middle until it changes.

Did it several times and still don't see what's going on.
First the pic is in negative and then goes to black and white..? what is the deception supposed to be?
Reply 22
I see it. Deceitful people.
Reply 23
This illusion should work on everyone (so long as you are not colour-blind, perhaps?) It is important to keep your head and eyes still whilst you are focussing on the dot, so the image is projected onto the same part of the retina at the back of the eye throughout. The reason it works is because you adapt over time to the colours in the original image, i.e. less nerve impulses saying 'it's green' (or whatever) are sent after 30sec.. When the image becomes black and white, there is a delay before these signals get up to their normal levels again.. meanwhile the opponent signals saying 'it's red' (or whatever) fire at their normal rate and are thus amplified in comparison, so we would see this patch as red.

make sense? :p:
Reply 24
My eyeballs have been sucked from their sockets!
Reply 25
Original post by &#946
I looked at the dot but I don't understand? :frown:

Pop_tart
Did it several times and still don't see what's going on.
First the pic is in negative and then goes to black and white..? what is the deception supposed to be?

Look at the dot in the middle without averting your eyes for the full time. It should work. If it doesn't, I'd be concerned :wink:
Reply 26
Woooooah!

I am amazed and entertained at the same time :biggrin:

Thank Darwin for our eyes!
Reply 27
Awesome :smile:

I love optical illusions
Reply 28
lella_m
Look at the dot in the middle without averting your eyes for the full time. It should work. If it doesn't, I'd be concerned :wink:

Worked for me now! :biggrin:
absolutely dont get it... i loooked at the dot and then the image plus the text changed into a black and white image whereas before it was photoshopped into some polarized image. Dont think its my eyes that change it i think its a gif working on a loop?

EDIT: okay for a split second when it changes from the negative to the b/w you see the b/w slightly coloured.. that's pretty obvious considering you've just been looking at the negative for like 20 seconds?
OOh I see it now. I wasn't concentrating the first time.

That's quite freaky. :p:
Reply 31
It's called the colour after effect. You get a very similar illusion if you stare at a rotating spiral for a minute then look at your hand....looks like your hand is warping.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ho4sIkoiNo
I like it :h:
It worked. I guess its an after image or something!
Reply 34
Becky7337
It's called the colour after effect. You get a very similar illusion if you stare at a rotating spiral for a minute then look at your hand....looks like your hand is warping.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ho4sIkoiNo

the colour after effect! that's the phrase that i was looking before in my not-very-good 'explanation' above.

anyway all i really remember is that it's to do with adaptation in the brain. i studied it a year or two ago and i'm a bit rusty, lol. perception was never my favourite topic in psychology! :o:
Reply 35
wow yeh worked nicely! even the trees look green!
Wow.

I wasn't expecting this to work as quite a few of these optical illusions don't work on me, but this one did.

Good stuff! :yep:
Reply 37
Wow, it worked amazingly well for me!
Reply 38
lella_m
I found this recently and thought it was quite amazing.

I can assure you no dead lady with half a decapitated head is going to jump out and scare you. Try it and tell me if it worked for you. Were you decieved by your senses?

Discuss. :teeth:

the illusion may have deceived me but the (double) typo in the conversation topic did not :p: sorry to be so pedantic but it is affecting my enjoyment of this thread, an edit would be much appreciated, thanks :biggrin:
Reply 39
If you stare straight at the dot for 30 seconds+, you should see the pic in negative colours. there's nothing deceitful about it. this is just how your eye works.

Latest

Trending

Trending