The Student Room Group

Why are left-wing British students so anti-British?

Never have I seen another country where the leftist students are so anti there own nation. You only have to look on TSR to see the level British students insult their own countrymen for absolutely no reason, quite often they talk as if Spaniards have ever right to be racist towards "British scum abroad", yet on the contary we don't have the same right to act xenophobically towards foreigners in Britain. I'm not saying that's right, but there seems to be this idea that foreigners can treat us how they want, but we must extend courtesy to everyone.

It seems in British student culture, patriotism, or have any pride in your country or it's institutions is deemed to be deeply racist. Left-wing students in Europe are generally anti-American, but very rarely anti their own country. It strikes me that British students love belittling and insulting their own country and countrymen, while pandering to foreign cultures and beliefs.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Left-wing students in Europe are generally anti-American, but very rarely anti their own country

Someone's never been to Greece, Italy, Denmark or Germany then...

Quite often the left which verges upon Anarchism as seen more so on the continent than Britain is very anti the notion of the nation state favouring dissolving the idea of countries altogether instead adopting the principal of no borders.
Reply 2
left wingers are idealists and thus retarded =]
They're traitors who would have been hung in the good old days..:yep:
Reply 4
It's because they don't live in the really world and are very idealistic. From birth they have been convinced that they have all the rights in the world and everyone is against them.

However, if you actually look outside of TSR the numbers are quite minimal, it's just that TSR acts as a beacon to these kind of people.
Reply 5
fire2burn
Someone's never been to Greece, Italy, Denmark or Germany then...

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think those countries are so against their own people in the same way British students are. They regard their countrymen as being misled, but I don't think they view half their country as scum in the same way British students do. Not to mention Greek and Italian universities in particular are always covered in the national flag.

Ironically, students from those countries seem to look up to Britain and view us as the haven for their idealised views for some reason.
Reply 6
nofish4u
left wingers are idealists and thus retarded =]

The signature contradicts that statement
Reply 7
These left wingers bang wagon jumpers are they like student political try hards?
Reply 8
RemadE
The signature contradicts that statement

k??
Reply 9
I'm a left-wing British student and I like Britain, I'm lucky to have been born here and virtually all of my left-wing friends agree.

Seriously, though, have you seen British people in places like Benidorm and Magaluf? When I see people come over here, get violently drunk every night, puke and disturb people around them and shag on the street, then I'll criticise them just as much. When you go the quieter less tourist-y parts of Spain, the British people are far better, it's those ones who go just to get drunk and act stupid.
Reply 10
British humour is often self-deprecating, so we deprecate our own country and culture. Patriotism itself is sometimes seen as a tad illogical. Why be proud of the fact that you happened to be born within a certain geopolitical area?
Reply 11
Sorani

Seriously, though, have you seen British people in places like Benidorm and Magaluf? When I see people come over here, get violently drunk every night, puke and disturb people around them and shag on the street, then I'll criticise them just as much. When you go the quieter less tourist-y parts of Spain, the British people are far better, it's those ones who go just to get drunk and act stupid.

Have you seen the nasty Albanians and Pakistanis in the UK? Oh, suddenly that's racist!
I'm a left wing British student and I'm not anti British- I'm just anti-patriotism.
Reply 13
missygeorgia
I'm a left wing British student and I'm not anti British- I'm just anti-patriotism.

Do you have any problem with non-British showing patriotism in the UK? That's the thing, it's only ever bad if it's British showing patriotism, foreigners are actively encouraged to be proud of themselves - WTF?
Reply 14
Yes, ive friends from other countries, germany, norway, even france!!, and italy. They are all proud of there countries, theres so much such depriciating leftwing ***** here (i hope that word is scratched out!!) that its all i can do to act patriotic to my own country when i see them.. They have national days (1st May in norway for example) yet we have none.

Germany still has alot of guilt etc, but on the whole they like there country, which is good.

I believe we should round all these left wing people up and dump them in a refugee zone where they can preach there ideas with people they say they will get on so well with.
Reply 15
missygeorgia

Why?
Reply 16
My main problem is with the types of people who always play the guilt card about the empire and colonising other countries. Usually saying something like "well you DESERVE this hurricane on your land because YOU colonised these people!" Pro tip: my grandparents weren't even born then, so WTF does the actions of people more than a century ago have anything to do with me?

Being 'anti-patriotism' is also a rather ridiculous idea. People of just about every country on the planet are patriotic. In the USA you can barely go one street without seeing an American flag somewhere. I know the whole "flags being banned in pubs" story was a myth, but there's clearly a problem when flying an English flag, much less a Union Jack, strikes up a huge debate about whether it should be flown or not (especially when it was there on Downing Street).
Hooj
Why?

Well, for one I think it's illogical. I think you can value your heritage without being patriotic, and without pride in something that isn't really that pride-worthy.

My main problem though is that it usually goes hand in hand with the attitude that we're awesome and better than other countries, that we have the right to oppress other countries, and other crappy traditional, conservative ideals. It also seems to involve being proud of Britains history, which is actually a horrific one involving terrible things.
ak56
Do you have any problem with non-British showing patriotism in the UK? That's the thing, it's only ever bad if it's British showing patriotism, foreigners are actively encouraged to be proud of themselves - WTF?

I've never really thought about it. I think I'd be more sympathetic because they're living away from home, and they probably miss their home country and culture. I'd be just as sympathetic to a British person living abroad.
Reply 19
JW92
British humour is often self-deprecating, so we deprecate our own country and culture.

self deprecation =/= actively discouraging the celebration of your own culture. It only ever seems to happen in Britain. When the world cup was on there were loads of debates on the radio and stuff about whether the English flag should be flown or not. I think when that's the case you know there's clearly some anxiety towards supporting your own country (well England in the sport/Britain anything else mainly).

Latest

Trending

Trending