The Student Room Group

Czech and Slovakian Society!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Nevite nekdo, jestli uz muzeme zadat o tuition fees loan? :smile:
Hi I've lived in England since i was 2 but I'm Czech and can speak fluently! Problem is I never actually learned how to write but i can read so its cool! Has anyone firmed/applied to UCL?
Original post by Poobington
Hi I've lived in England since i was 2 but I'm Czech and can speak fluently! Problem is I never actually learned how to write but i can read so its cool! Has anyone firmed/applied to UCL?

Yep. Not firmed yet though, I'm still deciding. You're going there next year?
Reply 143

Yes, I am, I hope they update Track soon! If you want some tuition in Czech, feel free to ask me, I'm a grammar Nazi, so I'll teach you properly :ninja:
Original post by little_economist:D
Yep. Not firmed yet though, I'm still deciding. You're going there next year?

Yes I am going to firm it when my final offer comes through UCAS its taking ages though. Do you guys actually live in Czech or, are you living in the UK at the moment?
Original post by Ivanka
Yes, I am, I hope they update Track soon! If you want some tuition in Czech, feel free to ask me, I'm a grammar Nazi, so I'll teach you properly :ninja:

Thanks for the offer! I've wanted to learn how to write for some time, but haven't really found the hours in the day to commit to it. The grammar is quite a problem because when I do go back to Czech, and I speak, my accent is really good so people think I'm a native, but when I use incorrect grammar I get really odd stares. Kinda embarrassed haha.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 146
Thanks for the offer! I've wanted to learn how to write for some time, but haven't really found the hours in the day to commit to it. The grammar is quite a problem because when I do go back to Czech, and I speak, my accent is really good so people think I'm a native, but when I use incorrect grammar I get really odd stares. Kinda embarrassed haha.

I think this problem can be solved. Czech is not too hard in terms of spelling, apart from the usual i/y or s/z problem. It would be better if you started reading books in Czech, you'd catch a lot :smile: I have never been taught too much about writing s/z, I guess it just has to be grasped somehow...intuitively :biggrin:

Regarding commas, it's very logical. There are only a few exceptions. :cool:

On the other hand, there are plenty of Czechs ignoring grammar (whilst being really clever), so I wouldn't feel embarrassed :wink:
Ohh that's good, I hope I can fall into the latter category Lol! My lack of a Czech Keyboard is also kinda annoying! The language is brill, really handy when me and my mum don't like somebody and we don't want them to know haha!
At the moment I'm reading the Newspaper Pravo, and sometimes Kvety. Recently though I reading an old copy of Harry Potter. Being anv English lit student part of me died at the thought of reading Potter, but it was quite nostalgic and actually helped with learning a few more words. If anyone can point me in the direction of some sort of tool which inserts Czech grammar ie hacek? Then I'd appreciate it if I could use it! I'll probably start writing in Czech on here, so pls correct me if I'm wrong ( I'm sure there will be a lot LOL)
Ohh that's good, I hope I can fall into the latter category Lol! My lack of a Czech Keyboard is also kinda annoying! The language is brill, really handy when me and my mum don't like somebody and we don't want them to know haha!
At the moment I'm reading the Newspaper Pravo, and sometimes Kvety. Recently though I reading an old copy of Harry Potter. Being anv English lit student part of me died at the thought of reading Potter, but it was quite nostalgic and actually helped with learning a few more words. If anyone can point me in the direction of some sort of tool which inserts Czech grammar ie hacek? Then I'd appreciate it if I could use it! I'll probably start writing in Czech on here, so pls correct me if I'm wrong ( I'm sure there will be a lot LOL)
Reply 149
Yes I am going to firm it when my final offer comes through UCAS its taking ages though. Do you guys actually live in Czech or, are you living in the UK at the moment?

I've been living in Czechia my whole life and now I'm studying for my Maturita exams which I'll be sitting in May and June.
Reply 150

Are you actually Czech on both your parents' sides or only on your Mum's?

My uncle works in Pravo :wink: but I prefer Lidove noviny and Hospodarske noviny (I'm quite a liberal and find some media very radical but each to their own). This is great, you will definitely learn new vocabulary, on the other hand, you won't get to know informal Czech - I met a bilingual guy having lived in Germany (his mother was Czech and his father was German) who understood formal Czech but when I talked to him the way I talk to my friends he was lost :biggrin:

I am of no use in terms of writing punctuation but I think it's a bit useless here since you get question marks for anything non-English :s-smilie:
Reply 151
Original post by Ivanka
... Nekdo, kdo nerozumi IB?

To je asi najpravdepodobnejsie :P Ostatne offery co mam bud vobec ziadny english requirement nespecifikuju, alebo chcu 5 z english, co je vysmech oproti IELTS 9...
Original post by Ivanka
Are you actually Czech on both your parents' sides or only on your Mum's?

My uncle works in Pravo :wink: but I prefer Lidove noviny and Hospodarske noviny (I'm quite a liberal and find some media very radical but each to their own). This is great, you will definitely learn new vocabulary, on the other hand, you won't get to know informal Czech - I met a bilingual guy having lived in Germany (his mother was Czech and his father was German) who understood formal Czech but when I talked to him the way I talk to my friends he was lost :biggrin:

I am of no use in terms of writing punctuation but I think it's a bit useless here since you get question marks for anything non-English :s-smilie:

Tak jo! I think my problem is that I lack a good formal vocabulary. Informally I'm fine, I would go as far as saying that my dictionary of swear words and profanities is a little too extensive! Je maturita teska? (Is that right)

Only my mum is Czech, my Dad is from England so its great that he doesn't know what me and my mum are talking about. It drives him nuts haha.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 153
Czechia, never heard that before. =D Either Czech or Bohemia. Just saying. :wink:
Reply 154
Tak jo! I think my problem is that I lack a good formal vocabulary. Informally I'm fine, I would go as far as saying that my dictionary of swear words and profanities is a little too extensive! Je maturita teska? (Is that right)

Only my mum is Czech, my Dad is from England so its great that he doesn't know what me and my mum are talking about. It drives him nuts haha.

Pise se "tezka" :wink:

To zalezi... My jsme prvni rocnik, ktery bude psat statni zkousky, takze jak si povedeme, jsou jen cire spekulace. Mam statni cestinu a anglictinu, oboje na vyssi urovni. Anglictina je v pohode, cestiny se trochu bojim, ale vzhledem k tomu, ze ve vyssi cestine je zazrak dostat v didaktickem testu skore 75 (muj protokol mi rekl, ze jsem v hornich dvou procentech), tak snad nebude problem dostat jednicku... Pak mame jeste skolni cast a treba u nas na skole to bude, rekla bych, stredne narocne.

Chudak tvuj tata :smile: Mohli byste si vymyslet treba nejaky fiktivni jazyk, kteremu zas nerozumi mamka :biggrin:

Doufam, ze jsem na tebe nevybalila prilis slozitou cestinu a rozumis :biggrin:
Tata mluvi Arabski, tak ucil mne par slova! Ale vsechno bude OK ze zkouskama, you seem really smart! Jak dlouho mluvis Anglicki? This is all probably awfully wrong haha, thought I'd give it a go! Do you have facebook or anything like that? Oh and jmenuji se Adam :smile:
Reply 156
Tata mluvi Arabski, tak ucil mne par slova! Ale vsechno bude OK ze zkouskama, you seem really smart! Jak dlouho mluvis Anglicki? This is all probably awfully wrong haha, thought I'd give it a go! Do you have facebook or anything like that? Oh and jmenuji se Adam :smile:

Kdyz pises jmena jazyku, tak jsou na zacatku s malym pismenem :wink: Jinak krom cizich slov se po hlaskach (phonems in English, I guess) h, ch, k, r, d, t a n pyse y :wink: Jinak se rika "par slov" a "se zkouskama" (s - with, z - from)...

"you seem really smart" - "vypadas velmi chytre" (mimochodem, dekuji za kompliment :biggrin:)

Jo a tvoje cestina neni vubec hrozna :wink:

Ucim se anglictinu od deviti let, takze uz je to nejakych deset let. Mam dokonce certifikat (IELTS), podle ktereho jsem pry na urovni C2, tudiz skoro rodila mluvci, ale to mi prijde nadnesene :smile:

Facebook mam, poslu soukromou zpravu s detaily :wink:
Original post by Ivanka
Kdyz pises jmena jazyku, tak jsou na zacatku s malym pismenem :wink: Jinak krom cizich slov se po hlaskach (phonems in English, I guess) h, ch, k, r, d, t a n pyse y :wink: Jinak se rika "par slov" a "se zkouskama" (s - with, z - from)...

"you seem really smart" - "vypadas velmi chytre" (mimochodem, dekuji za kompliment :biggrin:)

Jo a tvoje cestina neni vubec hrozna :wink:

Ucim se anglictinu od deviti let, takze uz je to nejakych deset let. Mam dokonce certifikat (IELTS), podle ktereho jsem pry na urovni C2, tudiz skoro rodila mluvci, ale to mi prijde nadnesene :smile:

Facebook mam, poslu soukromou zpravu s detaily :wink:

To je uzasne, doufejme, ze budete mit nabidku z UCL brzy! Muzeme pak mluvit anglicko-cesky haha!:biggrin:
Reply 159
To je uzasne, doufejme, ze budete mit nabidku z UCL brzy! Muzeme pak mluvit anglicko-cesky haha!:biggrin:

Ja uz ji mam :wink: Maturita s celkovou znamkou 1 a 1 ze spanelstiny. Jupiiiii :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest