The Student Room Group

Applying for graduate jobs in person?

Hello, I was wondering if someone could offer some help. I am away to finish my Msc and have started actively looking for jobs. These jobs are not directly related to the careers I'm applying to, which include Accountancy, finance, and other similar roles. I have now applied to a substantial amount of roles, but keep getting rejected.

I just wondering if going in and handing my cv and personal statement to different places in person would increase my chances?
has anyone tried this? I am quite an outgoing and friendly person, so would have no problem speaking away to whoever I give my cv to.
Reply 1
In person to whom? Reception?
Hi Pedaw,

That is actually very interesting question. I was helping my friend with the same situation because I am also outgoing person and prefer to go to companies personally. And it helped me (back in Czech Republic) and my friend too (in the UK).

Your chances are growing if you do it, but you need to choose the right companies. If you go to a large company and ask for manager or HR manager, they might usually tell you to apply online (but you can try that if you wish). So, I would suggest starting with smaller companies where you would be able to speak with management directly. Sometimes it is also good not to mention to the person you speaking at the door (either reception or other staff) that you are looking for a job, because they might send you home straight away. Aim to speak with manager and your chances will increase.

Good luck with that and let us know how it went :smile:

Lucie,
PhD Student
Cranfield university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending