The Student Room Group

Eligibility for student finance if I was in the EU for a period of the last 3 years

I lived in the Czech Republic between August 2020 and June 2022 due to my dad studying there and then moved back to England in June 2022 and have lived here since. We are all British nationals and kept our house in England but as I haven't lived in the UK continuously for the 3 years before my course start date (it will only be just over 2 years), does this mean I am not eligible for student finance?

When we moved it was before Brexit was finalised and didn't realise that we would have this problem. Is there any way that I could still be eligible due to this? As we kept our house in England, couldn't I just be classed as still ordinarily resident in the UK and only away temporarily?
I saw this on the gov.uk website which would seem to suggest I would be eligible. Could somebody please confirm:

You may be eligible for full support if you’re a UK national who:

was living in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein on 31 December 2020, or returned to the UK between 1 January 2018 and 31 December 2020 immediately after living in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein

has been living in the UK, the EU, Gibraltar, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein for 3 years in a row immediately before the first day of the first academic year of your course

Original post by consulting-horse
I lived in the Czech Republic between August 2020 and June 2022 due to my dad studying there and then moved back to England in June 2022 and have lived here since. We are all British nationals and kept our house in England but as I haven't lived in the UK continuously for the 3 years before my course start date (it will only be just over 2 years), does this mean I am not eligible for student finance?
When we moved it was before Brexit was finalised and didn't realise that we would have this problem. Is there any way that I could still be eligible due to this? As we kept our house in England, couldn't I just be classed as still ordinarily resident in the UK and only away temporarily?

Hi there,

When are you looking to start your course? Thanks, Jason
September this year.
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

I also saw this on the gov.uk website which would seem to suggest I would be eligible as I was in the Czech Republic (which is part of the EU) on 31st December 2020 which would seem to satisfy the first point and was there until June 2022 when we moved back to England where I have been ever since, which would seem to satisfy the 2nd point below.

You may be eligible for full support if you’re a UK national who:

was living in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein on 31 December 2020, or returned to the UK between 1 January 2018 and 31 December 2020 immediately after living in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein

has been living in the UK, the EU, Gibraltar, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein for 3 years in a row immediately before the first day of the first academic year of your course

September this year.

Hi there,

You would still apply for finance and send evidence that your time outside the UK was temporary. The team will review this and confirm if its been accepted or not to award finance. Anything you send include a cover letter with your name, customer reference number and short explanation why you're sending it.

Thanks,
Claire
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,
You would still apply for finance and send evidence that your time outside the UK was temporary. The team will review this and confirm if its been accepted or not to award finance. Anything you send include a cover letter with your name, customer reference number and short explanation why you're sending it.
Thanks,
Claire

Thank you Claire.

It does seem to run contrary to the information on the website though which states that if you were in the EU on 31st December 2020 and have been in either the EU or UK for a period of 3 years prior to the start of the course, then I would also be eligible (as per reply number one on this thread). I assume that it was to protect those caught up due to Brexit. Would it be possible to clarify this please?
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

Sorry I missed out replying to you. I plan on attending in September this year.

The gov.uk website (quoted in reply number one on this thread) does seem to suggest that I would be eligible as I was saying in the EU on 31st December 2020 and have been in either the EU or UK since then for a period of over 3 years before the first day of the academic year. Would I therefore be eligible?

Sorry to keep bothering you but I am getting quite worried about this.
(edited 1 month ago)
Sorry I missed out replying to you. I plan on attending in September this year.
The gov.uk website (quoted in reply number one on this thread) does seem to suggest that I would be eligible as I was saying in the EU on 31st December 2020 and have been in either the EU or UK since then for a period of over 3 years before the first day of the academic year. Would I therefore be eligible?
Sorry to keep bothering you but I am getting quite worried about this.

A UK national does not need to meet the three year residency criteria if they satisfy all of the following points:

Have been settled in the UK at some point since birth

Have been living in the EEA* or Switzerland for the last three years

Are ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first term of their course

In order to be eligible to SFE funding they must have been ordinarily resident in England before leaving the UK

Based on what you have advised you should be eligible, but you would need to apply so we can confirm for definite. Applications for 24/25 are open now so you can apply online in your account.

Thanks,
Claire
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,
Thanks,
Claire

Thank you Claire.
Thank you Claire.

Any further questions then do let us know. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending