The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Downs Hall - The Lawns

I cant believe I did it but I got accepted to Hull! I will be living in Downs Halls so I just wondered who else was? Get to know some people beforehand :smile:

I was also wondering if anyone knew if my room was on the bottom floor, top floor etc? 5A I think :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Jenzo117
I cant believe I did it but I got accepted to Hull! I will be living in Downs Halls so I just wondered who else was? Get to know some people beforehand :smile:

I was also wondering if anyone knew if my room was on the bottom floor, top floor etc? 5A I think :smile:

For blocks other than C (and maybe B but I'm not too sure), yes, 5 will be on the bottom floor. :smile:
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
5A? That suggests a room on the bottom floor, but it's strange as it's normally men only on the ground floor. What block does it say?
Reply 3
Unless you're in Downs C (which has the common room/wash room on the ground floor, so everything is a level higher) 5 is on the bottom floor, but not at the very bottom. If you've visited, you'll know what I mean...there are 3 kitchens, and three floors which are each split into two sections. You'll be the higher section of the bottom two floors. They do put girls on the ground floor...there was one there when I lived there.

The A bit doesn't mean anything, unless it's a shared room (which in Downs, it won't be).
Reply 4
EndlessPh
Unless you're in Downs C (which has the common room/wash room on the ground floor, so everything is a level higher) 5 is on the bottom floor, but not at the very bottom. If you've visited, you'll know what I mean...there are 3 kitchens, and three floors which are each split into two sections. You'll be the higher section of the bottom two floors. They do put girls on the ground floor...there was one there when I lived there.

The A bit doesn't mean anything, unless it's a shared room (which in Downs, it won't be).

Actually, only half of C block is higher than the rest, which is why it has the weird (yet clearly superior) half-landing layout.

Bit of useless information there. :p:
Reply 5
EndlessPh

Thanks :smile: I dunno what block I'm in it didn't say just that it was 5a :s
the only thing I was concerned about was bars on the windows if it's the bottom floor? I've been to look twice and they said there was bars on the bottom floor of all the halls and I wanted to be able to open my window properly xD I guess that also means no sun terrace :frown:
Odd. There weren't bars on the bottom floor windows last year. Most rooms had a full sliding glass door with balcony.
Reply 7
Metrobeans
Odd. There weren't bars on the bottom floor windows last year. Most rooms had a full sliding glass door with balcony.

This. I haven't heard anything about bars being fitted to lower windows this year either.
Reply 8
Wilt
This. I haven't heard anything about bars being fitted to lower windows this year either.

hmm thats strange then, they definatly told us when we looked round that there were :s-smilie: unless they decided to take them off/completely made it up to make is feel safer in some way xD
Reply 9
I'm going to be living in Downs Hall toooo :smile: just wondering how do i find out my block/room number etc? lol i havnt actually even seen the accommadation yet, only from the outside. anyone else really nervous?
Reply 10
MChemEm
I'm going to be living in Downs Hall toooo :smile: just wondering how do i find out my block/room number etc? lol i havnt actually even seen the accommadation yet, only from the outside. anyone else really nervous?

Your contract will have a number on it... something like DOWNC04A
That means... DOWNS hall + C Block + Room 04 A :smile:
Reply 11
thankyouuu :smile:
Reply 12
I was just wondering if anyone had any photographs of Downs hall? As im getting rather confused about what it's going to be like... even though ive been twice!
Reply 13
I've not seen the halls at all :O is it one bath/shower/toilet between all the people in the apartment or is there like cubicles?
Reply 14
Downs Hall FTW!

You going on Saturday, yeah?

And I thought it was 2 (?) showers/bathroom/toilet-y things per floor?
Reply 15
hiii, i'm also in Downs Hall. In block A, :smile: x
Reply 16
maybe it is 2 per floorr i dunno i was asking coz i havnt been beforeee :smile: omggg saturdayyyyy :O is anyone esle really excited? all my friends ahve been telling me how good a time theyve been having and it sounds amaaazing :biggrin:
Reply 17
DOWNSB24A...other than being in the Downs hall, what does this mean guys?? Which floor? Mixed or single sex?...any details you know...Please :smile:
Reply 18
I dont know about the floor or mixe or single sex bit, but 'DOWNSB24A' means Downs Hall - Block B - Room 24 - Flat A ... i think :biggrin: although 24 is the highest number iv heard or so far :O
Reply 19
Hmmmmm...Thanks a lot! :smile: Anybody else know any info? or anybody else in block B? lol

Quick Reply

Latest