The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Accommodation Application

I have seen online that for your St Andrews accommodation application you would list types of halls of residence (catered standard, catered en-suite etc) in order of preference? Does this mean you do not get to choose a specific hall of residence as your preferred? I would like to be in St Salvators, how would I let them know of this preference?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have seen online that for your St Andrews accommodation application you would list types of halls of residence (catered standard, catered en-suite etc) in order of preference? Does this mean you do not get to choose a specific hall of residence as your preferred? I would like to be in St Salvators, how would I let them know of this preference?
I’m pretty sure that, no, you don’t get to choose a hall. Unless you have a specific requirement (e.g. due to a disability) that requires you to be in a certain type of room, you don’t get to request a specific hall. Of course, you could email them to request St Salvator’s, but it’s likely (almost certain) that this would be ignored. I’d presume this is largely for this exact reason, that so many people might want to be in St Salvator’s, for example, so it’s much easier to allocate when you only put down types of hall rather than names.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by squiddy135
I’m pretty sure that, no, you don’t get to choose a hall. Unless you have a specific requirement (e.g. due to a disability) that requires you to be in a certain type of room, you don’t get to request a specific hall. Of course, you could email them to request St Salvator’s, but it’s likely (almost certain) that this would be ignored. I’d presume this is largely for this exact reason, that so many people might want to be in St Salvator’s, for example, so it’s much easier to allocate when you only put down types of hall rather than names.
It seems weird though. Even in places like Durham where everyone prefers University College they still allow you to express a preference. Might not even be worth putting Catered Standard as my top preference as I might end up with one of the much worse halls.
Original post by Anonymous #1
It seems weird though. Even in places like Durham where everyone prefers University College they still allow you to express a preference. Might not even be worth putting Catered Standard as my top preference as I might end up with one of the much worse halls.
I mean there’s always a chance you’d get any type of hall regardless of what you applied for, but it’s always worth putting the type you want most, as your chance of getting that type only decreases if you don’t. I think that yes, catered standard is usually oversubscribed, but that doesn’t mean there’s no point putting it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending