The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University Postgrads- halls or private accommodation?

Just wondering which is the more popular option at Newcastle? I'm wanting to keep my costs down so finding a house share seems like a good option, but does this affect you meeting other postgrads? Halls seem like a good place to meet others in the same boat etc...
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by BlutroteRosen
Just wondering which is the more popular option at Newcastle? I'm wanting to keep my costs down so finding a house share seems like a good option, but does this affect you meeting other postgrads? Halls seem like a good place to meet others in the same boat etc...

Hi there, I don't have any direct experience of finding post-grad accommodation myself, so I can't guarantee which option is more popular. But I do know that lots of post-grad students do look for house-shares so you should be able to find other students to live with relatively easily and don't forget you'll meet other students on your course and around campus too - so halls isn't necessarily the only option to meet others in the same boat! Arranging to live in halls can be slightly easier than hunting for a nice house to live in though, so it's entirely up to you of course and whatever option you think will work best for yourself :smile: I hope you have a wonderful time in Newcastle whichever accommodation you choose!
Original post by BlutroteRosen

Hi!

It depends whether you will be wanting to join societies and clubs etc! If you do join a society/club you will meet loads of people this way no matter where you are living. Also, it might be a good idea to have a look at location of postgrad accommodation and house shares and see what would work best for you! :smile:
Hi :smile:

Two of the most popular choices for postgrads are studio rooms in private halls (although this can be quite pricey) or going into a private houseshare but this can be quite complicated and difficult when you don't know anybody and have to sort your own bills etc out.

One of the middle options is picking a private hall where you can book a shared flat, but have the flexibility of only living with postgrads and getting in touch with your flatmates before you move in. We offer this at Market House, but a lot of private halls will also offer this if you ask.

My biggest recommendation would be to view all of your options before deciding, you'll know the right choice once you walk in :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 5
Hello, if you want to meet more people and want to keep your rent budget down, I would recommend ensuite bedrooms of private halls. You will get your own space but you can also enjoy the social life organised by the tenants or the accommodation management team. For example, in The Foundry of UNINN student accommodation, apart from the indoor facilities, students always play board games and hold parties in the large shared kitchens or the communal area. The accommodation management team usually organises an event once two months as well!

For more details, please check: http://www.uninnstudent.com/locations/the-foundry-newcastle-4.html Rooms from £99 ppw now including all the bills!

May x
Original post by username1249422

Hi username1249422,

Why not have a look at Jesmond Road which is our cheapest postgraduate halls at £96.18 per week which includes bills and wifi?

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/university/jesmond-road/#cost

It's in a great location, just a short walk from campus and the city centre and has eight flats of various sizes so is a great way to meet other postgraduate students.

Our other low-cost option is Bowsden Court which has a mix of undergraduate and postgraduate accommodation and is a little further out in South Gosforth:

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/university/bowsden-court/#facilities

Hope this helps 😊

Valentina
Reply 7
I personally preferred private accommodation, just suited me better. Found my place on Campusboard if that helps at all, really useful website :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by username1249422

I am a postgraduate student (PhD) commencing in January 2024. I will be glad to meet other postgraduate students especially towards a shared accommodation to cut down cost.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending