The Student Room Group

The 2011 History Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Planning to apply to LSE, Cambridge, UCL and KCL. Does anyone know if I can apply for BOTH economic history AND history in LSE?
Reply 41
Yeh i think you can apply to different courses at the same uni!
Reply 42
But can you hold offers for two courses within one university? Tbh I prefer the economic history course @LSE, but since I'm applying for pure history in the others I might as well.. right? :smile:
Reply 43
ytang25
Planning to apply to LSE, Cambridge, UCL and KCL. Does anyone know if I can apply for BOTH economic history AND history in LSE?

You can, as far as I'm aware.
Reply 44
ytang25

Oooo, a fellow economic history hopeful! :biggrin:

So, I went to the Nottingham open day today, loved the look of History and Ancient History there - lots of choice! The uni was beautiful too, and the city was awesome! Anyone else go today or yesterday? :smile:
Reply 45
Lorypop

So, I went to the Nottingham open day today, loved the look of History and Ancient History there - lots of choice! The uni was beautiful too, and the city was awesome! Anyone else go today or yesterday? :smile:

I didn't but I am considering applying there (for History).
Are they GCSE nazis?
Reply 46
Jinxy
I didn't but I am considering applying there (for History).
Are they GCSE nazis?

The lecturer said they had 10 applicants per place! (But they give more offers than places, so it's not that bad). There were no specific GCSE requirements laid out, so I would assume not - although she also said they look for strong performance from GCSE through to A Level, so maybe slightly more than other unis?
Reply 47
Lorypop
The lecturer said they had 10 applicants per place! (But they give more offers than places, so it's not that bad). There were no specific GCSE requirements laid out, so I would assume not - although she also said they look for strong performance from GCSE through to A Level, so maybe slightly more than other unis?

Do they interview?
Reply 48
Jinxy
Do they interview?

Nope, they have too many applicants to do so I think. :smile:
Reply 49
Lorypop

It's sad that not many top-ranking universities in the UK offer a pure economic history course. I really like the course at LSE. I was offered to read Economics with Economic History this year but I missed my offer by 2 UMS points in Mathematics.. now I'm just kicking myself for not applying for pure economic history.. so here I am.. reapplying :smile:

What are your grades like may I ask? :smile: I'm applying to Magdalene in Cambridge. I'm curious..what made you choose Fizwilliam? :smile:
Lorypop

I did :smile: I went yesterday - loved it! The campus was lovely and the Ancient History and History course looked AMAZING! :woo:
Reply 51
I should be a 2012 History Applicant :biggrin:
Reply 52
ytang25
It's sad that not many top-ranking universities in the UK offer a pure economic history course. I really like the course at LSE. I was offered to read Economics with Economic History this year but I missed my offer by 2 UMS points in Mathematics.. now I'm just kicking myself for not applying for pure economic history.. so here I am.. reapplying :smile:

What are your grades like may I ask? :smile: I'm applying to Magdalene in Cambridge. I'm curious..what made you choose Fizwilliam? :smile:

No way! That's an absolute bummer! D: I hope you get an offer this year though! (Well, hope that we both do :P)

My grades are 5 As (History, English Language, Classics, General Studies and ICT) 2 Bs (English Literature and Latin - had some bad luck in a couple of my exams that cost me a few marks, and consequently, my grades! *facepalm*). I'm predicted 3 A*s in History, English Lang and Classics. I got 11 A*s and 2 As at GCSE (i'm sure that's far more than you'd ever want to know - I wear a size 6 shoe as well in case you wondered :P: )

Well...i'm not too optimistic about Cambridge in honesty, I feel like it's a bit of a long shot, but i've wanted to apply for years. Thankfully got the 'Cambridge is the only place I want to go' out of my system - I now love LSE and Notts just as much (contemplating applying for both LSE histories actually...). I got invited to Fitz because I got a certificate in a classics competition they ran, and absolutely fell in love. Oh, and it has functional heating and plumbing. :biggrin:

Now you now everything academic about me, and my shoe size, what about you? What are your grades like? (Scoping the competition and all that :P: )
Reply 53
A.L. C-Brown
I did :smile: I went yesterday - loved it! The campus was lovely and the Ancient History and History course looked AMAZING! :woo:

Ohmygosh, what are the chances we both loved the exact same joint honours course! Did you go to the Ancient History talk? I loved the guy who gave it, he was so nice, and really enthusiastic (thought the history woman was less inspiring, but then when she got to talk about her actual modules she got so excited, it was so sweet!). What did you think of the city as well? :biggrin:
Reply 54
(Seeing as everyone else seems to be posting them...)

My GCSE's: 3 A*s and the rest were A's.
My AS results: AAAc (History, English, Art, Biology)
Other: AQA Baccalaureate, General Studies.

I'm applying to: Cambridge, York, St. Andrews, East Anglia and ...another one (Any suggestions?)

:biggrin:
Reply 55
Hi everyone!
I'm hoping to get a place for history, my grades were AABC. I stupidly dropped one of the subjects I got an A in, but hopefully can get the C up a grade! :smile: Hopefully I can get AAB in my A levels, but I was going to ask, is it worth applying to UCL/Kings? UCL seems unrealistic, but my mum said to apply? =/
Lorypop
Ohmygosh, what are the chances we both loved the exact same joint honours course! Did you go to the Ancient History talk? I loved the guy who gave it, he was so nice, and really enthusiastic (thought the history woman was less inspiring, but then when she got to talk about her actual modules she got so excited, it was so sweet!). What did you think of the city as well? :biggrin:

That would be cool if we both got in - at least I would vaguely know someone! Ran out of time to see anyone from the Ancient History department unfortunately, but the History woman was certainly enthusiastic, and at the end of the day that's all I want :smile: Went for a quick drive around the city afterwards and loved it! So far its the only Uni I'm definitely applying to.

faenixamo
I'm applying to: Cambridge, York, St. Andrews, East Anglia and ...another one (Any suggestions?)

You looked at Warwick? Because that has a pretty good course (a bit narrow in focus, though).
Reply 57
A.L. C-Brown

You looked at Warwick? Because that has a pretty good course (a bit narrow in focus, though).

Ahh but I don't have a Modern Language... (pfft!) How's lancaster meant to be? :P
Reply 58
A.L. C-Brown
That would be cool if we both got in - at least I would vaguely know someone! Ran out of time to see anyone from the Ancient History department unfortunately, but the History woman was certainly enthusiastic, and at the end of the day that's all I want :smile: Went for a quick drive around the city afterwards and loved it! So far its the only Uni I'm definitely applying to.

Haha, that would be quite the coincidence! The ancient history dept was great - quite small as well, which I think makes it better! I did like the city too - and the shopping was pretty fabulous :wink:

where else are you thinking of?
Reply 59
louise1993
Hi everyone!
I'm hoping to get a place for history, my grades were AABC. I stupidly dropped one of the subjects I got an A in, but hopefully can get the C up a grade! :smile: Hopefully I can get AAB in my A levels, but I was going to ask, is it worth applying to UCL/Kings? UCL seems unrealistic, but my mum said to apply? =/

Would be interested to hear the answer to this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending