The Student Room Group

Official History of Art Applicants thread 2024 Entry

Are you applying to study History of Art at University this year?
Well this is the place for you!
:party:

Post below with details about your...

Specific Course:
Universities you're applying to:
A level / IB / Higher grades:
GCSE grades:
Random question:

Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.

You may also want to have a look at this HUGE LIST of other applicants threads for all the universities you're applying to as well as potential other courses if you're a joint honours student.:woo:
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Specific Course: History of Art
Universities you're applying to: Oxford, UCL, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Warwick
A level / IB / Higher grades: A*A*A
GCSE grades: 9,9,9, 8,8,8,7,7,6
Random question: Wondering if anyone has the interview questions asked last year in order to practice for this years.
course: history of art
unis: cambridge, st andrews, edinburgh, UCL, warwick
predicteds: A*A*A*A
gcses: eleven 9s
question: does anyone know when on average edinburgh/UCL/warwick tend to send out offers? not to be annoying bc obviously am very lucky to have a st andrews offer (although i am slightly confused as someone told me they take forever) but I’m just curious about when people usually hear back from the others!
Original post by janton77
Specific Course: History of Art
Universities you're applying to: Oxford, UCL, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Warwick
A level / IB / Higher grades: A*A*A
GCSE grades: 9,9,9, 8,8,8,7,7,6
Random question: Wondering if anyone has the interview questions asked last year in order to practice for this years.

if you’re talking about oxford i think they really like extrapolating and asking about more general ideas based on what you talk about in your PS and/or written work. so you would need other examples of works/exhibitions to justify your claims etc. also pretty sure there is a visual comparison they for one of the interviews.
Reply 4
Original post by notagna_tsr
course: history of artunis: cambridge, st andrews, edinburgh, UCL, warwickpredicteds: A*A*A*Agcses: eleven 9squestion: does anyone know when on average edinburgh/UCL/warwick tend to send out offers? not to be annoying bc obviously am very lucky to have a st andrews offer (although i am slightly confused as someone told me they take forever) but I’m just curious about when people usually hear back from the others!
I applied for Edinburgh and received an offer about two weeks ago, so im not sure why you haven't heard anything. My predicteds are only AAA but they gave me a conditional for ABB.
Reply 5
Original post by 04MR17

Specific Course:
GCSE grades:
Random question:

You may also want to have a look at this HUGE LIST of other applicants threads for all the universities you're applying to as well as potential other courses if you're a joint honours student.:woo:

History of Art
Cambridge Jesus College, York, Sussex, Edinburgh, Courtauld
Predicted AAA
Gcses were mostly 7s, 9 in maths, graphics and French, 4 in RE :frown:
Question - Has anyone heard from the Courtauld if applied. Ive had a response from every uni other than them. Also if anyone has any tips for cambridge interviews lmk, thanks
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by j1crossley
History of Art
Cambridge Jesus College, York, Sussex, Edinburgh, Courtauld
Predicted AAA
Gcses were mostly 7s, 9 in maths, graphics and French, 4 in RE :frown:
Question - Has anyone heard from the Courtauld if applied. Ive had a response from every uni other than them. Also if anyone has any tips for cambridge interviews lmk, thanks

the Courtlaud won't reply until January, I asked on the open day :smile:
For Cambridge Interviews just think of it like a conversation, they're not trying to trick you, just display your love for art with useful insights and visual analysis
Has anyone sat the Cambridge HoAAA?
Reply 8
Original post by bagel monster
Has anyone sat the Cambridge HoAAA?

yes!
Original post by zode83
yes!

Which two pairs did you choose? I picked the two pairs of paintings! They were more well known than I had expected : )
Reply 10
Original post by bagel monster
Which two pairs did you choose? I picked the two pairs of paintings! They were more well known than I had expected : )

I chose the first pair and the last pair. I too was a bit shocked at the choices to be honest, you could tell the tripos has changed.
Original post by zode83
I chose the first pair and the last pair. I too was a bit shocked at the choices to be honest, you could tell the tripos has changed.

Wow! They are very challenging! That’s why I did not choose the fist and the last pairs haha.
Probably bc I feel more comfortable doing paintings than other media
Has anybody applied for history of art at St.Johns College Cambridge?
Original post by iohara2005
I had my Cambridge interview for history of art today! Has anyone else completed there’s yet?

I have completed the first one. I have no idea why they didn’t ask me more challenging questions whether that’s because they ran out of time or they thought I was unfit to answer them. How do you feel about your interview?
Original post by notagna_tsr
course: history of art
unis: cambridge, st andrews, edinburgh, UCL, warwick
predicteds: A*A*A*A
gcses: eleven 9s
question: does anyone know when on average edinburgh/UCL/warwick tend to send out offers? not to be annoying bc obviously am very lucky to have a st andrews offer (although i am slightly confused as someone told me they take forever) but I’m just curious about when people usually hear back from the others!

Hey what college in Cambridge have you applied for?
Original post by 04MR17

Specific Course:
GCSE grades:
Random question:

course- history of art
universities- oxford (lincoln), edinburgh, courtauld, glasgow, ucl
a levels- 3A* plus my epq which i was never given a predicted grade for (??!)
gcses- 99999988887
i’m a uk student, state educated but not eligible for contextual offers. so far i’ve had an offer from glasgow and done my interview for oxford. i’m expecting to get rejected from oxford so edinburgh is realistically my first choice- is anyone else planning on attending edinburgh to study hoa? also interested if anyone else applied specifically to lincoln college oxford, and if so did you get an interview/how did it go?
Reply 16
Original post by zode83

What shocked you? In what way do you believe the HoA tripos has changed?
Reply 17
Original post by AngelikaK
What shocked you? In what way do you believe the HoA tripos has changed?

what shocked me was the amount of well known artists used. I expected more niche stuff I guess. I don't really know though

what I mean by the tripos has changed is that I know its undergone changes and you can see that, as they changed the interview process a bit and gave context to each images. The department told me the tripos is changing when I was at my summer school!
Reply 18
Original post by zode83
what shocked me was the amount of well known artists used. I expected more niche stuff I guess. I don't really know though

what I mean by the tripos has changed is that I know its undergone changes and you can see that, as they changed the interview process a bit and gave context to each images. The department told me the tripos is changing when I was at my summer school!

Thank you!
Original post by zode83

Were you at the Sutton trust one too?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending