The Student Room Group

BMW Maintenance Costs Advice

Hi,
I'm looking for some advice regarding everyday maintenance costs associated with a 1 Series BMW.

For context, I'm a 21 year old uni student and I'm looking to upgrade my motor as my good ol' yaris just isn't cutting it on the long motorway journeys anymore and is nearing the end of its life cycle. I'm looking at this BMW in particular:
2014 Red BMW 1 SERIES 116i SPORT 1.6 5dr for sale for £10,495 in Brentwood, Essex (autotrader.co.uk)

Could somebody who owns an identical / similar beamer advise on the relevant costs on this please, as well as if its worth the buy? is it really the ultimate driving machine or the ultimate repair machine?

Something that doesn't break the bank in yearly costs is what I'm looking for ideally.

Thanks.:smile:
Reply 1
Having only ever owned classics or hot hatches, the first thing i noticed about my mate's BMW 3 series is the price of parts and especially consumables like tyres. Generally speaking bigger wheels = pricier tyres. A 2011 - 2019 model as youve chosen there would be my pick for 'most reliable', but i havent heard much good or bad things about the 1.6 in your model there. I would watch out with that one though as the black wheels on that model will not have been standard so its possible that the car has been ragged a bit (common with lower spec 1 series cars as often owned by chavs - no offense to you!!) I'm also surprised at how much that one costs - personally I'd look for maybe a 2011-2019 model with possibly more miles but more service history (the one you sent has none as far as i could see). BMWs are lovely cars but are pricey when they go wrong especially modern ones unfortunately. Keep looking and as long as you can comfortably afford it with a grand to spare in case anything goes wrong I'd be happy buying one!!

If you're looking for classy cars for the same price or less which are more reliable and cheaper to run I'd look at...
Audi A3 S Line (1.4 TSI or TDI both are good engines)
Mk7 VW Golf
Peugeot 208 GTI
Reply 2
Original post by oligti
Having only ever owned classics or hot hatches, the first thing i noticed about my mate's BMW 3 series is the price of parts and especially consumables like tyres. Generally speaking bigger wheels = pricier tyres. A 2011 - 2019 model as youve chosen there would be my pick for 'most reliable', but i havent heard much good or bad things about the 1.6 in your model there. I would watch out with that one though as the black wheels on that model will not have been standard so its possible that the car has been ragged a bit (common with lower spec 1 series cars as often owned by chavs - no offense to you!!) I'm also surprised at how much that one costs - personally I'd look for maybe a 2011-2019 model with possibly more miles but more service history (the one you sent has none as far as i could see). BMWs are lovely cars but are pricey when they go wrong especially modern ones unfortunately. Keep looking and as long as you can comfortably afford it with a grand to spare in case anything goes wrong I'd be happy buying one!!

If you're looking for classy cars for the same price or less which are more reliable and cheaper to run I'd look at...
Mk7 VW Golf
Peugeot 208 GTI

yeha thanks for the advice. Upon more research, I think I may just go for another yaris, same year or slightly newer but with fewer miles and a slightly larger engine (i was thinking a 1.33 VVT-i).

completely agree, it is a well known stereotype for a reason, and - none taken.

think I was just being a bit silly and chasing after the bmw brand, I'll just cop a yaris and save myself a fortune on initial purchase + replacement of perishables as you mentioned. Can probably put that money towards better use than an unnecessarily expensive car.

Thank you for the recommendations, I'll look for an A3 maybe after I graduate. Who knows, maybe ill set myself a target of a first class degree and buy an a3 as a present in order to motivate myself!

Thanks again for the info.
Original post by Lt Shadow
yeha thanks for the advice. Upon more research, I think I may just go for another yaris, same year or slightly newer but with fewer miles and a slightly larger engine (i was thinking a 1.33 VVT-i).

completely agree, it is a well known stereotype for a reason, and - none taken.

think I was just being a bit silly and chasing after the bmw brand, I'll just cop a yaris and save myself a fortune on initial purchase + replacement of perishables as you mentioned. Can probably put that money towards better use than an unnecessarily expensive car.

Thank you for the recommendations, I'll look for an A3 maybe after I graduate. Who knows, maybe ill set myself a target of a first class degree and buy an a3 as a present in order to motivate myself!

Thanks again for the info.

You've made a good choice I think. I totally understand wanting to buy into a premium badge, but at this 1 series/A1/ A class range you aren't seeing what the brands really have to offer imo. You're buying a regular car from a brand known to make cooler cards.

After the near obligatory Corsa I started buying older German cars so can absolutely confirm the stereotype about them being a lot to maintain, the CAR might get a lot cheaper over time but the parts and labour sure don't. But I tend to buy the cooler but dodgy ones like convertibles & sports where I'm willing to accept a bit expense and trouble to drive a cool Porsche or S5, I'm not putting up with that for a BMW 1 series where it's not doing anything a Ford Fiesta can't. And as much as I've bought broken Mercs off peoples driveways and the cheapest Porsche in the UK but I still won't consider a BMW.
Reply 4
Original post by oligti

If you're looking for classy cars for the same price or less which are more reliable and cheaper to run I'd look at truecarexpert...
Mk7 VW Golf
Peugeot 208 GTI

Oh, it's great to hear about your experience with classic and hot hatch cars! I understand your concerns about the cost of parts and tires for the BMW 3 series. Bigger wheels do tend to mean pricier tires, which is something to keep in mind.

Regarding the 2011-2019 model, it's a popular choice for its reliability. However, you mentioned not hearing much about the 1.6 engine in the model you were looking at. It might be worth doing some research or asking for opinions from other owners to get a better understanding of its performance.

In terms of the cost, you were surprised at the price of the one I sent you. It's a good idea to explore other options, perhaps a 2011-2019 model with more miles but a solid service history. Regular maintenance can make a big difference in the long run.

BMW cars are lovely, but it's true that they can be pricey to repair, especially with modern models. As you continue your search, keeping some extra funds aside for unexpected repairs is a wise approach.
Reply 5
Original post by EyesFitt
Oh, it's great to hear about your experience with classic and hot hatch cars! I understand your concerns about the cost of parts and tires for the BMW 3 series. Bigger wheels do tend to mean pricier tires, which is something to keep in mind.

Regarding the 2011-2019 model, it's a popular choice for its reliability. However, you mentioned not hearing much about the 1.6 engine in the model you were looking at. It might be worth doing some research or asking for opinions from other owners to get a better understanding of its performance.

In terms of the cost, you were surprised at the price of the one I sent you. It's a good idea to explore other options, perhaps a 2011-2019 model with more miles but a solid service history. Regular maintenance can make a big difference in the long run.

BMW cars are lovely, but it's true that they can be pricey to repair, especially with modern models. As you continue your search, keeping some extra funds aside for unexpected repairs is a wise approach.

Thought I'd give this thread a bit of an update since quite a bit's happened since my post!

So I had decided on the yaris, a little 1.33 runaround, 14 reg with 70k miles on the clock for about 5k, not a bad price overall if you ask me. I go with my dad to the dealer and we're all ready to test drive the car until something catches both our eyes!

Saw a fantastic 13 reg beamer 1 series 116i sport for around 7k with 50k miles and full BMW SH. There were a couple of problems with the car - namely:
- Water ingress in left side indicator
- small dent & scratches to right side fender
- inside volume knob was missing and dealer just replaced with some generic looking black knob
- light moisture accumulation on the left side headlight

We managed to talk them down to 6k because of these problems. Long story short we bought on the day and drove away with a 3 year warranty.

Since then, i've bought some dynamic indicators for around £20 from amazon and fitted myself (much cheaper than what bmw were quoting) , my local mechanic was able to buff out the scratches and sort out the dent for around £80, and i've just bought a pair of fancy halo light projector headlights for around £500 since the moisture got considerably worse, mechanic took a look and said sealant had gone completely bad. I'm pretty handy with a spanner so I'll probably take off the front bumper and give the headlights install a whirl myself.

All in all I'm really happy with the purchase, no other problems other than the aforementioned and motorway journeys are an absolute pleasure now - I actually look for excuses to drive it along now ha!

Insurance is fairly reasonable too - around £600 a year so ill take that.

My only gripe would be that the mpg is pretty poor compared to the 1L Yaris :frown: although maybe I'm just being overly critical here (39mpg avg compared to about 48 on the yaris). That's something i can live with though since the drive is fantastic, the engine seems very fiery even though it's only 1.6.

Thanks to everyone who made recommendations / helped out. I'm planning to fully overhaul the visual aspect of the car in the coming year including new rims, front splitter, back diffuser, etc. All of your common mods (apart from the exhaust I actually quite enjoy the quietness).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending