The Student Room Group

Courtauld and UCL History of Art Application

Hello!
I’m looking into applying to the Courtauld and UCL undergrad for History of Art with GCSES 8776665555 and UCAS grades AAB. My personal statement and references are very good (work experience, volunteering, extra subject taken at weekends). Honestly, am I in with any chance?

Scroll to see replies

Hello there,
Changed the title of the thread to reflect that you were also asking about UCL and History of Art.

You have a chance if you meet the entry requirements... which you do for UCL. You don't meet the standard A-level requirements for Courtauld - they want AAA :frown: so you will be rejected from there, unless you are eligible for a contextual offer, then you will have a chance as they might give you a lower offer (ABB). You should contact Courtauld's admissions department for more information about this!
Reply 2
ah thank you!! i wasn’t aware that the aaa-abb was concerned with contextual offers - i thought at the open day they meant that was just the range they offered similar to other universities. i absolutely will do that. thank you so much again - hope it doesn’t sound too ‘confident’ if i say that was a very kind and reassuring reply 🥰
Reply 3
I wouldn't be pessimistic about your chances of getting an offer from the Courtauld. However, you should be aware that History of Art at the Courtauld and History of Art at UCL are VERY difference courses and an entirely different academic experience and you won't suit both.
Reply 4
Original post by elmiffy
Hello!
I’m looking into applying to the Courtauld and UCL undergrad for History of Art with GCSES 8776665555 and UCAS grades AAB. My personal statement and references are very good (work experience, volunteering, extra subject taken at weekends). Honestly, am I in with any chance?

Hi this isn't totally relevant to your post but I was wondering what A-levels, work experience + volunteering you did? Did it relate to the History of Art field? Thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by AngelikaK
I wouldn't be pessimistic about your chances of getting an offer from the Courtauld. However, you should be aware that History of Art at the Courtauld and History of Art at UCL are VERY difference courses and an entirely different academic experience and you won't suit both.

How are they so different?
Reply 6
Original post by lb1233

The Courtauld is a broad-minded research led institution that strives to meet the highest academic standards and where the study of objects is at the heart of everything. UCL HoA has been radicalised by theory.
The Courtauld is a broad-minded research led institution that strives to meet the highest academic standards and where the study of objects is at the heart of everything. UCL HoA has been radicalised by theory.

wow, i wonder which one you went to!! lol no need to be so disparaging

on a more serious note when you say radicalised by theory are you talking about identity politics and the like? because i did feel like their website description was very buzzword-y
Original post by lb1233

courtauld is literally just art historians. so their approach to the subject i think is a lot more serious it’s def the more prestigious course! a lot of famous art historians went to courtauld/oxbridge. imo if you want a HoA course with lower requirements maybe consider looking into warwick also?
Reply 9
Original post by notagna_tsr
wow, i wonder which one you went to!! lol no need to be so disparaging

on a more serious note when you say radicalised by theory are you talking about identity politics and the like? because i did feel like their website description was very buzzword-y

I don’t mean to be disparaging - just trying to be clear that the two courses couldn’t be more different and that no one should find it difficult to choose between them. Obviously London is by a long way the best location in the UK for studying history of art.
Reply 10
Original post by elmiffy
ah thank you!! i wasn’t aware that the aaa-abb was concerned with contextual offers - i thought at the open day they meant that was just the range they offered similar to other universities. i absolutely will do that. thank you so much again - hope it doesn’t sound too ‘confident’ if i say that was a very kind and reassuring reply 🥰

Hi there, as someone who is very familiar with the Courtauld and has participated in their summer uni, and attended multiple open days (and has just sent their application), please do not worry, their entry requirements are between AAA-ABB, and ABB is NOT the contextual offer (I believe it is BBB). So yes, you could be accepted into the Courtauld (obviously depending on your personal statement too)
Reply 11
Original post by Iwills
Hi there, as someone who is very familiar with the Courtauld and has participated in their summer uni, and attended multiple open days (and has just sent their application), please do not worry, their entry requirements are between AAA-ABB, and ABB is NOT the contextual offer (I believe it is BBB). So yes, you could be accepted into the Courtauld (obviously depending on your personal statement too)

This is true but when you get to the Courtauld the range of ability is quite wide and people with As and A*s at A-level and 7s at IB will be acing the essays. If you are less well prepared there will be catching up to do and it might be a little humiliating.
Reply 12
This is true but when you get to the Courtauld the range of ability is quite wide and people with As and A*s at A-level and 7s at IB will be acing the essays. If you are less well prepared there will be catching up to do and it might be a little humiliating.

Don’t be so condescending, the person is a applying with AAB which is perfectly adequate. Also bare in mind that they may be a state school student, and the courtyard is concerned mostly with private school students, and are improving their acceptance of state school students, therefore they could be MORE likely to get in. Try not to be so rude and condescending next time :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Iwills
Don’t be so condescending, the person is a applying with AAB which is perfectly adequate. Also bare in mind that they may be a state school student, and the courtyard is concerned mostly with private school students, and are improving their acceptance of state school students, therefore they could be MORE likely to get in. Try not to be so rude and condescending next time :smile:

This forum is for telling it as it is, not a PR job for universities who are pretty good at doing that themselves. The Courtauld attracts students from a very broad range of schools: private day schools, boarding schools, state schools, international schools, overseas local schools. The range of backgrounds is vast and inevitably students arrive with very different levels of preparation for writing History of Art essays.
Reply 14
Original post by meoow
Hi this isn't totally relevant to your post but I was wondering what A-levels, work experience + volunteering you did? Did it relate to the History of Art field? Thanks!

hi!!! so sorry i haven’t been on here in a bit - i do classics civ, history and eng lit, as well as history of art through a charity at weekends 🙂 my work experience was at a sculpture park and i then volunteered there!!
Reply 15
Original post by Iwills

hi!! tysm that’s really helpful - sorry for such a slow response!! best of luck to you :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by Iwills

hi again! yeah i’m a state school student 🙂 woohoo!!
Reply 17
Original post by notagna_tsr
courtauld is literally just art historians. so their approach to the subject i think is a lot more serious it’s def the more prestigious course! a lot of famous art historians went to courtauld/oxbridge. imo if you want a HoA course with lower requirements maybe consider looking into warwick also?

hi!! yes, i looked at warwick, but my issue is (apart from grade concerns) due to personal financial circumstances i can’t apply to any unis apart from in london as i wiuld live with relatives - but i wish i could particularly the option including a year abroad :frown:
Reply 18

thank you for your concern, but honestly the thrill of it is in the learning and practicing of the subject and therefore the catching up wouldn’t be at all humiliating :smile:) good luck to you if you’re applying too!
Reply 19
Original post by elmiffy
hi!!! so sorry i haven’t been on here in a bit - i do classics civ, history and eng lit, as well as history of art through a charity at weekends 🙂 my work experience was at a sculpture park and i then volunteered there!!

No way!! I also do HoA through a charity at weekends, by any chance is it AHLU???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending