The Student Room Group

History Courses

i have offers from bristol, exeter, loughborough for history
international history and politics at bristol and i’m still waiting for history at durham.

i’m so stuck on what to choose, any recommendations? in terms of the towns and lifestyle?
Original post by yblenkinsss
i have offers from bristol, exeter, loughborough for history
international history and politics at bristol and i’m still waiting for history at durham.

i’m so stuck on what to choose, any recommendations? in terms of the towns and lifestyle?
Hi @yblenkinsss,

First, congrats on receiving your offers! I hope you're looking forward to university!

It can definitely feel daunting trying to make a decision, but there are some things I would keep in mind that might help you narrow things down!

Take a closer look at the course you have applied for - university courses usually vary slightly in terms of contact hours, modules on offer, assessment types, areas of expertise, etc. You may find that one course suits you better than the other! I'm currently in my final year studying History, and have really enjoyed it! At the moment I have 4 contact hours a week - throughout my three years it has ranged from about 4-8. In the first year, we studied Medieval, Early Modern, and Modern history, so there really is something for everyone! From second year you can start to narrow this down and figure out where your interests lie - for example, I enjoy studying 19th/20th century U.S. history, so I did a module on the American West. It is definitely worth taking a look at the modules that are on offer and see if they align with what you want to study! I will add that the teaching has been excellent, the staff are incredibly friendly and on hand to help with any concerns! It can definitely feel like a big adjustment, so it is really helpful to have good people on side!

Consider the societies and clubs that are available - engaging with the student community is a key part of university life! It helps you make new friends, find new interests and escape from the pressures that come with studying at university. You may be involved in a certain sport, or have a certain hobby - again, societies vary from university to university, so this may be worth taking a look at!

Think about the area you want to live - do you prefer a city or campus? Personally, I have found Exeter to be the perfect mix of the two. On campus, everything is really close together and easy to navigate. It is only a 10-15 minute walk into town, where there are plenty of pubs, restaurants, bars, clubs to choose from. It is a 20 minute train ride to the beach - perfect when the weather is a bit nicer! I am also only a 2 hour train ride from home - this was really important to me, especially in first year when I knew I would be travelling back and forth more regularly. Again, something worth considering!

I hope this has helped in some way! Please feel free to get in touch if you have any further questions about the course or life here at the University of Exeter!

Kitty
University of Exeter Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending