The Student Room Group

Studying history at uni, clearing options

Hi, I've got an offer from York for AAA and my insurance is my local uni which is unconditional.

If I get the grades for York (or if they let me in even if I'm sort on grades) the I will go there. I think realistically I'm likely to come out with an A in Law, an A/B in history and a B in english Language and Literature. So if I've got AAB-ABB what are my options in terms of clearing/finding somewhere else as I don't particularly want to stay local but I felt it would be mad to turn down the unconditional.

What's the process to go through on results day and what uni's (preferably RG's in the north) do you think would be likely to have me? I did have an offer from Sheffield before, but I turned it down for York.

Any advice on the process and what to do?
Original post by CocaColaTshirt
Hi, I've got an offer from York for AAA and my insurance is my local uni which is unconditional.

If I get the grades for York (or if they let me in even if I'm sort on grades) the I will go there. I think realistically I'm likely to come out with an A in Law, an A/B in history and a B in english Language and Literature. So if I've got AAB-ABB what are my options in terms of clearing/finding somewhere else as I don't particularly want to stay local but I felt it would be mad to turn down the unconditional.

What's the process to go through on results day and what uni's (preferably RG's in the north) do you think would be likely to have me? I did have an offer from Sheffield before, but I turned it down for York.

Firstly History isnt mega competitive outside a few universities like Durham. There is decent chance York will accept a dropped grade,

There are quite a few Northern universities showing vacancies for History at present including Newcastle/ York, Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool and Lancaster. As these still have vacancies it is likely they will be in clearing but you need to act urgently on results day. What is not known is whether they will accept a slightly lower grade.

If your firm doesnt accept you it automatically goes to your insurance so you will go there. As you have an unconditional offer you wont go into clearing.

The only way to enter clearing would be to decline your offer. If your not interested in your insurance offer you might be better doing that now so you will automatically be entered into clearing should York reject you. You can then ring around universities who are in clearing to find one suitable.
Reply 3
History is not as popular as say Medicine or Law so the chances of getting into an RG uni via clearing would be decent I would say. Naturally, the history modules taught at Liverpool (ABB) will be very different from the history modules taught at say Sheffield (AAB) so you will need to do some homework to identify which history courses interest you the most.
Reply 4

Hi,

My name is Emmanuel & I'm a 3rd Year Student of History & Politics at Lancaster University. I'm also a Student Ambassador for our History Department so this question is right up my alley. Typical A-Level requirements for a BA in History are AAB, so your grades would be within the ballpark we would be looking for. We are the most highly ranked University for History in the North-West and we are similar to York in the sense that we are one of the few Universities to have a collegiate system in the UK. I would recommend signing up for clearing updates if you are interested with the following link: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/clearing/ and the opening date for clearing is the 5th of July. I hope that is helpful and if you have more questions about the specifics of the clearing process, do not hesitate to respond to this message.
Reply 5

Hi not sure if you’ll see this but how did you get on last year? Daughter has AAA York History offer but not sure she’s going to make it, maybe ABB is worst case, she doesn’t love her insurance so hoping York might be flexible
Original post by Lola2023
Hi not sure if you’ll see this but how did you get on last year? Daughter has AAA York History offer but not sure she’s going to make it, maybe ABB is worst case, she doesn’t love her insurance so hoping York might be flexible

hi! i'm a current york history student and my offer was also AAA, but I ended up with A*AC which has the same UCAS points as an AAB. if theres space york is pretty nice with allowing near miss applicants in (i know others who had a similar experience). definitely have her look at alternative options such as clearing courses but know there is a chance they'll let her in anyway
Original post by margauxs
hi! i'm a current york history student and my offer was also AAA, but I ended up with A*AC which has the same UCAS points as an AAB. if theres space york is pretty nice with allowing near miss applicants in (i know others who had a similar experience). definitely have her look at alternative options such as clearing courses but know there is a chance they'll let her in anyway

Hi thank you so much for the thoughtful reply, am grateful for the advice. We went up for the offer holder day a few weeks ago and she really liked the course and the campus she’s just nervous about missing her offer. Good to hear they might be flexible - wishing you all the best with your studies KR

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending