The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

OpenMindedRepublic
Billions have been donated over the last decade and Africans cant do something about making them continent/countries better?

Billions have been donated, you claim?

Billions to charities or to Africa, itself?

I think the former, do not you?

And we all know what happens to most of the money donated to charities, don't we?

But, anyway, on a serious note - there is a substantial amount of corruption and destabilization in Africa. in my opinion, this is largely due to the history of the people of Africa and ultimately the Slave Trade. I blame the proponents of the Slave Trade for dehumanising Africans.
Reply 61
OpenMindedRepublic
Billions have been donated over the last decade and Africans cant do something about making them continent/countries better?

you absolute moron.
Reply 62
OpenMindedRepublic
To be honest i`m just waiting for what liberal and political correct garbage "arguments" i would hear from such place where everyone is so sensitive. I dont think there is a better explanation rather than Africans are too lazy to do something about it or just dont care - thats 99% truth.

Of course! :woo: How did I miss it before?! It's not the crippling lack of funds getting through from corrupt governments to actual projects on the ground, or the endemic poverty, malnourishment and lack of sanitation! It's that they can't be bothered to heave their emaciated bodies across the arid, baking ground to the West, where poverty doesn't exist and the people feast daily on milk and honey!

/sarcasm
Reply 63
Sovr'gnChancellor£
But, anyway, on a serious note - there is a substantial amount of corruption and destabilization in Africa. in my opinion, this is largely due to the history of the people of Africa and ultimately the Slave Trade. I blame the proponents of the Slave Trade for dehumanising Africans.

So Africans themselves?
It's 2010 - why do we still have silly British teenagers getting themselves drunk silly?

It's 2010 - why do we have numerous Middle Eastern countries hanging 'sinners'?

It's 2010- why does Christianity and Islam still exist?

It's 2010 - why is the UK still in a 'financial mess'?

It's 2010 - why are tube workers still striking?

It's 201oh shut the ?@_+, it's 2011 in a few months!

Two can play at that game Mister.
Avesta
So Africans themselves?

Excuse me?

It was The White Man.

Not the white men of today, but the white men of yesterday who thought themselves superior.

You display your misinformation...
Unknown?
It's not my problem.

You must also be one of those ones who say 'I already do my bit for charity', right?

The world is full of lazy people, is it not?

Have fun watching television and going out to parties and enjoying yourself whilst the world is in near chaos.

And don't you dare say I will.
Imf & Wto.
Sovr'gnChancellor£

Africans aren't the only people to have ever been slaves numbnuts.
Reply 69
Because countries like this one refuse to wipe their debt.
Reply 70
It's just not pheasible.

Think.... It'd cost TNC's so much more to invest.
Improved healthcare would be needed. Infrastructure needs putting in place. Roads etc.
Most potential employees would need to be educated. Where as in places like China in Asia everything is already set up and all they need to do is build and hey presto skilled labour is already there.
Cesare Borgia
Africans aren't the only people to have ever been slaves numbnuts.

Nobody is saying that.

But, please have a look at those countries that were subjected to being slaves and those that were the subjectors. Have a look at their present situation today and get back to me - who is better off?
Reply 72
brucycat
Because countries like this one refuse to wipe their debt.

Actually most of it has been now. :rolleyes:
Reply 73
Daniiel
Actually most of it has been now. :rolleyes:

Well then they will be fine in a little while:woo:
Reply 74
a) We nicked all the good negroes for ourselves (Europe and America).
b) Corruption.
c) AIDS.
Sovr'gnChancellor£
Nobody is saying that.

But, please have a look at those countries that were subjected to being slaves and those that were the subjectors. Have a look at their present situation today and get back to me - who is better off?

You're saying that by the point you're making, if what you allege were true other countries that have a history of enslavement would be churning, 3rd world **** ups.

From about 1400 to 1900 around 40% of Koreans were enslaved, South Korea is a thriving modern democracy and the north at the very least has a good infrastructure and public order.
Reply 76
ypo
OP, for the real answer, I would recommend reading "IQ and the Wealth of Nations" or better yet its updated version, "IQ and Global Inequality" for the politically uncomfortable but realistic and statistically-sound explanation.

This. The truth hurts.
Africa is just a **** place, nothing really there, it's also riddled with diseases.
Not really much it can do to develop.
Reply 78
brucycat
Well then they will be fine in a little while:woo:

Mmm.. I'm not saying I want them to be poor..
If there wasn't such a "3rd World" today in Africa and other poor places across the world, then the likes of the UK and US wouldn't be as rich as we are. A bridge in the development gap from Africa ultimately means that someone else has to become poorer as a result, namely high income countries. I don't mean we'll become poor still be rich but just not as rich as we are today.
Reply 79
Well to be honest that probably wouldn't hurt much.

the 'UK' and 'US' are not rich in a balanced, even way within themselves. A few select people within them hold most of the money while the rest (working class, lower middle class...) make do with what they get.

Hence if someone has to become poorer as a result, it may not be so terrible.

Latest

Trending

Trending