The Student Room Group

Development Studies: Sussex, UEA, Reading, Birmingham or SOAS?

Hi everyone!
I hope you are doing well in this difficult time. I have heard back from all the universities I have applied to and I am now struggling with my final choice. I am an international student so I hope you will have more insights into which university enjoys the best reputation for academic quality and employment perspectives. I am not very interested in partying so I mostly care about quality of teaching and career perspectives.

The programmes I have been admitted into are the following:
- University of Sussex: MA Development Studies (IDS)
- SOAS: MSc Development Studies
- University of Birmingham: MA Africa and Development
- University of East Anglia: MA Agriculture and Rural Development
- University of Reading: MSc Food Security and Development

I am more interested in food security/nutrition and in the Africa region. Thank you in advance for your tips :smile:
Original post by Gspino
Hi everyone!
I hope you are doing well in this difficult time. I have heard back from all the universities I have applied to and I am now struggling with my final choice. I am an international student so I hope you will have more insights into which university enjoys the best reputation for academic quality and employment perspectives. I am not very interested in partying so I mostly care about quality of teaching and career perspectives.

I am more interested in food security/nutrition and in the Africa region. Thank you in advance for your tips :smile:

Hey!

I am also considering master degrees and I studied and worked in a similar field (African development, including an internship in a food security project through the US agency for international development). In my experiences at academic conferences and in the field, I have heard a lot of people talk really well about Sussex! SOAS is also great but they are facing huge financial difficulties so you might want to consider that, especially if you are hoping to do field work! I am also currently holding an offer from Cambridge for their Mphil in African Studies, which is pretty versatile although definitely much more academic compared to a more practical Development MA.

Feel free to PM if you have any specific development/africa questions!
Reply 2
Hey! I just got an offer for MA gender and development at Sussex, also MSc Poverty and Development at Manchester but deffo going with Sussex!
Anyone else for IDS this September ?!
Original post by Rawrrr
Hey! I just got an offer for MA gender and development at Sussex, also MSc Poverty and Development at Manchester but deffo going with Sussex!

I'm still waiting on an offer from IDS MA Globalisation. How long did it take for you to receive your offer? It's been like a month for me, and I'm getting stressed out that it is taking too long.
Reply 4
Original post by foreignerabroad
I'm still waiting on an offer from IDS MA Globalisation. How long did it take for you to receive your offer? It's been like a month for me, and I'm getting stressed out that it is taking too long.

my offer took 1 week :smile: I wouldn't worry though, the systems are all out of whack this year ay
Original post by Rawrrr
my offer took 1 week :smile: I wouldn't worry though, the systems are all out of whack this year ay

Only one week? Geez, my hopes are now at an all time low hahaha. Oh well.
Reply 6
Original post by Rawrrr

Hey, I also got an offer for Gender and Development at Sussex! But I think I am going to accept my offer at LSE for MSc Gender, Development and Globalisation. It's a really hard choice though because I feel like the modules look better/more practical at Sussex and of course IDS is no1 in the world for development. Can I ask what made you decide on that course and what your background is? I'm still a bit torn between the two...
Original post by Rawrrr

What are the odds!? About one hour after responding to you, I got an email from the programme director for the MA Globalisation, Business and Development course. I guess I will be joining you in Brighton this year!
Reply 8
Original post by momomo88
Hey, I also got an offer for Gender and Development at Sussex! But I think I am going to accept my offer at LSE for MSc Gender, Development and Globalisation. It's a really hard choice though because I feel like the modules look better/more practical at Sussex and of course IDS is no1 in the world for development. Can I ask what made you decide on that course and what your background is? I'm still a bit torn between the two...

LSE is way too expensive as the tuition fees cost more than the govt fee loan, so really on that reason alone it was out of my reach...

But also, IDS is number 1 in the world, I would prefer the MA to an Msc, I think IDS is a more nurturing environment it sounds incredible and I already read some of their department, they have an incredible gender department,
Reply 9
Original post by foreignerabroad
What are the odds!? About one hour after responding to you, I got an email from the programme director for the MA Globalisation, Business and Development course. I guess I will be joining you in Brighton this year!

Heeeeey amazing congrats!!!
Original post by Rawrrr

I got an IDS offer too, but I think I will postpone entry. Don´t you mind the online courses?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Gspino
Hi everyone!

Hi @Gspino,

Congrats first of all on your offers! I am a current student at UEA studying International Development, which is in the same School as your master's course. Obviously I can't speak about your course specifically but I work very closely with lecturers as a course convenor so I can assure you that UEA has amazing lecturers in DEV. In terms of employment perspectives, previous students have gone on to work in the UN, Oxfam and other NGO's but there is a big love for the environment at UEA at the moment, with many more going into employment in that sector. UEA itself is a lovely campus and university, and if you're very interested in Nutrition and Agriculture, there are a few societies that may be of interest to you such as UEA Sustainability and UEA Food Co-op, find both of these at: https://www.uea.su/opportunities/societies/

Hope this helps!

Becca
Reply 12
Original post by Casiopea
I got an IDS offer too, but I think I will postpone entry. Don´t you mind the online courses?

They said the first semester will be mixed with in person group work and tutorials and only the big lectures would be online :smile: Fine by me!
Reply 13
I did the MA in Globalisation in 2018-2019! Let me know if you have any questions :smile:
Hey, I am pretty much in the same position as you this year. I have an offer to study MA in Gender and Development at IDS and MSc in Gender research at LSE, and I am confused as to what to choose. I wanted to ask- how did LSE turn out for you? And do you enjoy the course?
Reply 15
Original post by Geena-
I did the MA in Globalisation in 2018-2019! Let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Hey. how were the internship opps at Sussex?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending