The Student Room Group
Reply 1
urban_flavaz
need help on a few dont questions......

give 2 reasons why respiration occurs in many small steps each step catalysed by a particular enzyme?

ummm missing word...:

in most organisms this product (pyruvate) then enters the 2nd phase of cellular respiration known as the krebs cycle which occurs in specific organelles, .............., under aerobic conditions.

thank u

missing word is mitochondria.

2 reasons: (I'm giving one reason for each half of the sentence)
1) If it was in one big step the body would not be able to use the energy given out efficiently
2) Each step is catalysed by a particular enzyme because enzymes are specific and can't usually catalyse more than one reaction.
Reply 2
ooo, thanks! sori bout this but a bit more help needed.........

in the respiratory process, energy is released and is used to synthesise enery rich molecules of........... from ............ thereby storing energy for future use.

Are these two gaps ATP and ADP?

the final stage in the electron carrier system is completed in the presence of oxygen and is catalysed by the haem-containing enzyme.............?

where is most of the ATP made? is it in the perimitochondiral space or matrix?

appreciate the help
Reply 3
yep they are ATP and ADP

ATP synthase?

most ATP is made via oxidative phosphorylation that occurs in/around intermembranal space of cristae
Reply 4
urban_flavaz
ooo, thanks! sori bout this but a bit more help needed.........

in the respiratory process, energy is released and is used to synthesise enery rich molecules of........... from ............ thereby storing energy for future use.

Are these two gaps ATP and ADP?

the final stage in the electron carrier system is completed in the presence of oxygen and is catalysed by the haem-containing enzyme.............?

where is most of the ATP made? is it in the perimitochondiral space or matrix?

appreciate the help

ATP for first blank and ADP + Pi for second blank

Final electron carrier system is complex IV --> Cytochrome c Oxidase methinks.

Most ATP made in Matrix and it must then be transported across the inner mitochondrial membrane.
Reply 5
moojoo
yep they are ATP and ADP

ATP synthase?

most ATP is made via oxidative phosphorylation that occurs in/around intermembranal space of cristae

No, ATP synthase is the enzyme that catalyses Oxidative phosphorylation, not the electron transport chain.

And the ATP is actually made in the matrix, on the heads of the ATP synthase, although the enzyme itself extends into the Inner mitochondrial membrane and intermembranal space.
are u saying cytochrome c Oxidase containes the haem? Is the chromium ion in it in the same was as the iron ion in haemoglobin
Reply 7
Cytochrome c Oxidase is a large enzyme complex made up of many individual subunits. As far as I remember, it contains two haem groups, as well as two copper centres that are involved in the electron transfer down an energy gradient. (It takes 2 electrons from the cytochrome c carrier molecule and passes them eventually to Oxygen, transferring four protons across the inner membrane in the process).
Reply 8
oxymoron
No, ATP synthase is the enzyme that catalyses Oxidative phosphorylation, not the electron transport chain.

And the ATP is actually made in the matrix, on the heads of the ATP synthase, although the enzyme itself extends into the Inner mitochondrial membrane and intermembranal space.

Ohhh I see, sorry I wasn't sure, thought it meant the final synthesis of ATP.

Yes, I meant to say near the inner membrane not in the intermembranal space. It's probably better to specify that it is synthesised by ATPase that is in the membrane though isn't it? Rather than just say "matrix" because that could mean anywhere.
If it was in one big step you'd get spontaneous combustion.. because of all the gluecose, so you'd explode.
Reply 10
moojoo
Ohhh I see, sorry I wasn't sure, thought it meant the final synthesis of ATP.

Yes, I meant to say near the inner membrane not in the intermembranal space. It's probably better to specify that it is synthesised by ATPase that is in the membrane though isn't it? Rather than just say "matrix" because that could mean anywhere.

Maybe, but the question specifies two choices - matrix or perimitochondrial space. To me that is suggesting that it expects you to know that ATPase is found in the membrane, but it wants to know on which side of the membrane the ATP is actually made!
Reply 11
oxymoron
missing word is mitochondria.

2 reasons: (I'm giving one reason for each half of the sentence)
1) If it was in one big step the body would not be able to use the energy given out efficiently
2) Each step is catalysed by a particular enzyme because enzymes are specific and can't usually catalyse more than one reaction.

I think that if it happened in one big step, excess energy would be produced and given off as heat, which would kill the cell, wouldn't it?
We are doing this topic atm in bio is evry1 doin it?
Reply 12
Jonquil1
I think that if it happened in one big step, excess energy would be produced and given off as heat, which would kill the cell, wouldn't it?
We are doing this topic atm in bio is evry1 doin it?

Effectively, yes. Excess energy is still given off in each step as heat, but most of the energy is stored as ATP. However if it happened in one step, because most of the energy would not be able to be stored (as too much is given off at once), a large amount of energy would be given out as heat - in other words, you'd burn up!

Wooh, this is my 1000th post. Go me! :p:
Reply 13
oxymoron
Maybe, but the question specifies two choices - matrix or perimitochondrial space. To me that is suggesting that it expects you to know that ATPase is found in the membrane, but it wants to know on which side of the membrane the ATP is actually made!

yep!
Reply 14
thank u so much for evry1's help. i'm finding it very difficult to get to grips with this topic...i have another question, if anyone could help me.

liver cells were homogenised - mitochondria + cytoplasm seperated. the mitochondria was incubated in a medium containing glucose and some in pyruvate. the amount of CO2 was monitored. Experiement was repeated using the cytoplasm. O2 was made available for both of them.

1. explain why carbon dioxide is not produced by the cytoplasm when incubated with glucose or pyruvate.

2. explain why CO2 is produced by mitochondria from pyruvate but NOT from glucose.

is the first question something to do with the fact that decarboxylase enzyme is not available in the cytoplasm....occurs during the link reaction?

and the second queston because, glucose has 6carbons which is too big n needs 2 be broken down first?
Reply 15
urban_flavaz
thank u so much for evry1's help. i'm finding it very difficult to get to grips with this topic...i have another question, if anyone could help me.

liver cells were homogenised - mitochondria + cytoplasm seperated. the mitochondria was incubated in a medium containing glucose and some in pyruvate. the amount of CO2 was monitored. Experiement was repeated using the cytoplasm. O2 was made available for both of them.

1. explain why carbon dioxide is not produced by the cytoplasm when incubated with glucose or pyruvate.

2. explain why CO2 is produced by mitochondria from pyruvate but NOT from glucose.

is the first question something to do with the fact that decarboxylase enzyme is not available in the cytoplasm....occurs during the link reaction?

and the second queston because, glucose has 6carbons which is too big n needs 2 be broken down first?

1. CO2 is producecd in the krebs cycle which occurs in mitochondria, not the cytoplasm.

2. Pyruvate is fed into the krebs cycle which produces CO2 as a bi-product. Glucouse however must be converted to pyruvate first which takes place in the cytoplasm (by glycolysis) so glucose can not undergo any reaction itself in the mitochondria.

NB when I say krebs cycle I mean krebs cycle + link reaction ... and the reason these reactions are localised is because the relevant enymes are localised.

Latest

Trending

Trending