The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Pretty good for £125, assuming you have all the other gear (ie a DFI mobo, suitably expensive memory etc)

I could have sworn it was the 145 which was the best one...

Hi, I'm looking for a glorified wordprocesser basically.
Just want a laptop to do some work on, surf the net, steam videos and play some FPShooters over the net... and thats about it. nothing complicated.. what should i look for? any recommendations?
Is that a joke post? Playing FPS over the internet is the most demanding thing you can get a home PC to do, and it's going to cost you a lot to do that.

I'd get a very cheap portable laptop and get a dedicated PC for your gaming, or just the PC if you dont need to work away from your room.
Reply 264
Hey guys, need a bit of help if you don't mind?

I've got 2 grand (maybe a bit more, but not too much) to spend on a computer for uni. Problem is, I'm not sure whether to get a laptop or PC at the moment but I do have some basic things:

RAM: I know I'll probably need about 1gb of RAM at the very least?
Hard Drive: I've got a ton of music and films etc, so ideally the biggest possible here?

I'll play a few games on it I guess, but if it's not exactly future proof it won't be too big of a deal.

Much appreciated, cheers! :biggrin:
Mr Maniac
Hey guys, need a bit of help if you don't mind?

I've got 2 grand (maybe a bit more, but not too much) to spend on a computer for uni. Problem is, I'm not sure whether to get a laptop or PC at the moment but I do have some basic things:

RAM: I know I'll probably need about 1gb of RAM at the very least?
Hard Drive: I've got a ton of music and films etc, so ideally the biggest possible here?

I'll play a few games on it I guess, but if it's not exactly future proof it won't be too big of a deal.

Much appreciated, cheers! :biggrin:

For that budget, you could build a small supercomputer. :eek:
I'd recommend you look into a RAID array to store all your media.
2GB RAM
A pretty sweet CPU - probably an X2
GeForce 7800GTX for now... but this will probably go up to the 7900 if theres money to spare.
But the biggest investment you're going to want to make is a WHOOPASS monitor - 24" monitor methinks. :cool:

I wish I had £2000 :frown:

[EDIT] Oh, a good soundcard and amplifier, with a pretty nice surround system? You sound like a man who appreciates his films and music :smile:
Mad Vlad
You clearly have more money than sense. I refuse to waste my time advising someone who's clearly intent on getting ripped off. I have no time for your snobbery. :mad:
Build your own is a very viable and also satisfying way of getting a computer - satisfying in the sense that you made it and have achieved something.

Meh, but not everyone knows how to build their own PC - I know I sure the hell dont, but I'd like to be able to, however I don't have any uber-techie friends at uni/back home who could show me what to do, etc. So sometimes people need to see/realise that 'building your own' isn't an option for everyone.

Still, any ideas on how/where I could learn how to build computers over the summer, as I'm sure that learning this kind of stuff shall undoubtedly come in handy in the future. Are there any particularly n00b-friendly websites that could give me a step-by-step guide of how to put together a PC without doing myself/the computer any serious harm? :wink:
Angel Interceptor
Meh, but not everyone knows how to build their own PC - I know I sure the hell dont, but I'd like to be able to, however I don't have any uber-techie friends at uni/back home who could show me what to do, etc. So sometimes people need to see/realise that 'building your own' isn't an option for everyone.

Still, any ideas on how/where I could learn how to build computers over the summer, as I'm sure that learning this kind of stuff shall undoubtedly come in handy in the future. Are there any particularly n00b-friendly websites that could give me a step-by-step guide of how to put together a PC without doing myself/the computer any serious harm? :wink:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1444
I said that in response to the fact that he was coming across as a bit of an arse. You can get some very well made pre-built computers but he was completely ignoring or advice - thus I erupted in a Vesuvius style manner. He was completely dismissing build-your-own.

'Build your own' is for noobs like Vlad the Imbecile here.
Quite the opposite is true.

Besides, this issue was all resolved as he apologised for being so dismissive.
Mad Vlad
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1444
I said that in response to the fact that he was coming across as a bit of an arse. You can get some very well made pre-built computers but he was completely ignoring or advice - thus I erupted in a Vesuvius style manner. He was completely dismissing build-your-own.

Quite the opposite is true.

Besides, this issue was all resolved as he apologised for being so dismissive.

Cheers for the link Vlad. :smile:

Yeah, I realised that the issue had been settled after reading through the rest of the thread after I had posted.
Angel Interceptor
Cheers for the link Vlad. :smile:

Yeah, I realised that the issue had been settled after reading through the rest of the thread after I had posted.

No worries :smile: If you want any more in-depth help, just PM me :smile:
Reply 271
Out of those 3, I'd go for the Samsung.
Reply 272
Could someone please tell me which PC is better. They are the same make and cost £600 each.

PC 1

Intel Pentium 4 517 Processor
2.93GHz, 533MHz FSB, 1MB Cache
1024MB DDR RAM
Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD RW Drive
256MB nVidia GeForce LE Graphics
8-In-1 Media Card Reader
6 USB Connections
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center
17" TFT Flat Panel Monitor

PC 2

Intel Pentium 4 519 Processor
3.06GHz, 533MHz FSB, 1MB Cache
512MB DDR RAM
200GB Hard Disk Drive
Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD-RW Drive
128MB FX 5200 LE Graphics
Wireless Keyboard + Mouse
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center
17" TFT Flat Panel Monitor

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks in advance.
Reply 273
The first one, but whats the price?
Reply 274
sr4470
The first one, but whats the price?

£600
Reply 275
JohnMajor
£600

What a rip-off. Are they Medion systems by any chance?
Reply 276
sr4470
What a rip-off. Are they Medion systems by any chance?

No they are Packard Bell. If you can find the same sort of system cheaper then please let me know, I cannot.
Reply 277
JohnMajor
No they are Packard Bell. If you can find the same sort of system cheaper then please let me know, I cannot.

HP Athlon 64 3200 system @ Dabs

The above PC is £330, combine it with a decent 17' TFT (Samsung) and it comes to £470. A decent Logitech wireless keyboard\mouse set is £30.
Reply 278
sr4470
HP Athlon 64 3200 system @ Dabs

The above PC is £330, combine it with a decent 17' TFT (Samsung) and it comes to £470. A decent Logitech wireless keyboard\mouse set is £30.

The RAM is half the size.
Reply 279
JohnMajor
The RAM is half the size.

512Mb of RAM costs £30. Even if you factor this in, its still £70 cheaper than the Intel systems (not to mention upgradable with PCI-Express).

Latest

Trending

Trending