The Student Room Group

Do you need a laptop for uni?

I’m starting uni next year studying animation and was wondering if I need a laptop.

I have a gaming PC at home with really good specs but do I actually need laptop for classes or could I use a notebook?

What would you recommend as a student irrespective of your course?
For animation, you probably will need access to a laptop that can install the specific softwares crucial to your course and doing your assignments.

I'd always recommend that most full time students bring a laptop to uni with them.
Can't rely on a tablet or always being able to use a campus computer.
Particularly during covid.
Good luck!
Original post by PrincessPops
I’m starting uni next year studying animation and was wondering if I need a laptop.

I have a gaming PC at home with really good specs but do I actually need laptop for classes or could I use a notebook?

I agree with @londonmyst. You could always send an email to the department in advance to ask this question.
Thank you so much!
Reply 4
I would say yes. In most cases any course that needs some kind of pc element will usually want you to bring a laptop. When I first went to uni I was similar to you in the instance that I also have a gaming pc so why do I need a laptop (I did an animal science course) but yeah they were insistent on it. Depending on your financial situation tho, most unis have schemes to help you buy one if it’s essential. I think mine paid half and I paid the other. It’s best just to ask, you may end up getting an extra pc for cheap
(edited 1 year ago)

Hi @PrincessPops

I'm in my final year studying fine art and across my degree I've used a mix of notebooks and my laptop for notetaking. For notes you could definitely get away with using notebooks, however there are definitely pros of using a laptop (being able to have all you notes in one place and backed up on a cloud/ drive!).

While notetaking is fine without a laptop, I think I would have really struggled with writing essays without it. Lancaster has an amazing library with lots of laptops and PCs you can borrow, but personally I've found it much easier to take my laptop with me. It gets confusing when you've got lots of different documents and sources you need to have open to be switching between PCs!

With animation it may be worth seeing what software you'll be needing to use. You may have access to download these for free on your own PC/ laptop, but you may also want to buy an external hard drive to back up your work physically (especially with such large files). If you are going to get a laptop, it may be worth waiting until closer to the time as your uni may have suggestions and there are often specific student deals in the run up to the new academic year.

Good luck with your applications :smile:
Yasmin (Lancaster University student ambassador)
Hi @PrincessPops

For the majority of my first teaching block in my first year I used one of the university laptops. Usually in the library and other areas they will have laptops that you can use your ID card to borrow for a period of time, before returning. As all work is saved on the cloud it meant that I was still able to access my work from any device. I found this really helpful as it took a little bit of time to save up to get a laptop that I could use for my studies.

As others have mentioned it is definitely worth getting in touch wit the course leaders to see what they suggest but you will have the option to loan a laptop if it is easier than purchasing one right away.

Good Luck with your course

Luke - Portsmouth Student Rep

Hey @PrincessPops
As a lot of people have already mentioned, it is recommended to have a laptop in university.
There are ways to get around without having one, like going to the library every time or one of the computer rooms, but you will not be able to work in your room then, and a lot of times the computer seats at the library are all taken.
For a course like animation, I would except most of your work to be in the uni labs provided to you as they would be licensed with the right software already, the only time you might need your laptop will be for notes, essays, looking for inspiration, research, netflix etc.
You don't have to worry too much about first year because the course is going to be beginner and basic, so perhaps an old laptop lying around would also be good enough.

I hope that helps :smile:
Vyomika
In short, you will almost definitely need a laptop for university. This is because a laptop is a useful resource that has many uses for students studying at university
I think it would be rlly useful for what u wanna do but surely there's access everywhere on campus right
Bear in mind that there tends to be an assumption that you will have one. I was told for my course I wouldn't need one and I didn't - until suddenly, for one course, I did. They had tweaked their delivery model, and just assumed we would all be fine with it.

I would also not rely too heavily on borrowing laptops from your university library or anything like that - I am sure it works well for some folk, but if you need to install particular software or anything it's liable to be painful.

Just found this and thought you might benefit
https://tyrions.com/what-is-the-best-laptop-for-high-school-students-top-10-picks-for-2023/
Hello, I'm one of the student ambassadors here at Coventry University.
As started above, I'd always recommend having a laptop with you, especially if you are a full time student.. This is because not only would it be beneficial to allow you do catch up on assignments on the go, some seminars/lectures require you to have your laptop with you, whether it being to read a study, or fill out some paperwork online in order to get the most out of your studies, I'd recommend you having a laptop to ensure that you don't get caught out, it's always better to be safe than sorry..
However this is all down to personal preference and if you believe you'd be able to be without a laptop, that is a decision that is down to you and you alone-
I hope this helps.
Kind regards
Courtney H

Hey there @PrincessPops !
It's probably not the advice you were looking for but for a degree like yours, having a laptop handy would be very useful. For example, if you're completing a task in class time but don't get to finish it, it's way easier to complete this task at home if you've worked on it on that laptop in the first place. It also helps when completing group projects because you can initially get all the software you need on your laptop and then you're all set up for the year. Having a notebook would be helpful for sketching and coming up with ideas but in the long run having a laptop will be very beneficial for you. You can get access to all the software you need on that laptop so there's no issues when working between in lectures and at home.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

From my experience as a bachelor's and master's student, it really helps to own a laptop. But the best way to find it out is just to ask members of your faculty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending