The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
See the attached image, items are from www.dabs.com.
sr4470
See the attached image, items are from www.dabs.com.

Thanks for the info, looks really good, just wondering though, how easy is it for a novice to build/set up a computer?
Reply 342
thegreatstupendo
Thanks for the info, looks really good, just wondering though, how easy is it for a novice to build/set up a computer?

Not too difficult if you follow the instructions included in the manuals\documentation accompanying the parts.
sr4470
Not too difficult if you follow the instructions included in the manuals\documentation accompanying the parts.

Cool, although I have to say following instructions isn't my strong point!
Reply 344
thegreatstupendo
Cool, although I have to say following instructions isn't my strong point!

All you really need is a screwdriver and some patience. Also, once you've installed Windows, you'll need to install device drivers.
sr4470
All you really need is a screwdriver and some patience. Also, once you've installed Windows, you'll need to install device drivers.

Could you recommend a broadband modem as well? Also, is it easy to install USB ports?
Reply 346
thegreatstupendo
Could you recommend a broadband modem as well? Also, is it easy to install USB ports?

I'd use a router. Linksys are good and inexpensive.

The USB drivers will come with the motherboard, its usually a few clicks of the mouse to install them (as with most drivers, actually).
So the best way to connect would be by a router? Why is this easier than an internal modem? Given that it will be in a room with a broadband connection the whole time. Sorry, it is ust we have had a few problems with setting up our wireless network at home and I don't really want to have to go through it all again.
If you have a wireless network, are you sure you dont already have a router providingi nternet access?

If thats the case all you need is a PCI wireless card.
PieMaster
If you have a wireless network, are you sure you dont already have a router providingi nternet access?

If thats the case all you need is a PCI wireless card.

Yeah we have a wireless network at home, but I was plannin gon taking the computer to uni with me.
Then you wont need any type of modem in it, universitys will provide a RJ45 network point on the wall; not a phoneline for a broadband connection.
PieMaster
Then you wont need any type of modem in it, universitys will provide a RJ45 network point on the wall; not a phoneline for a broadband connection.

Ahhh thanks, and thanks to sr4470 too, you've both been most helpful.

With the system you described, would I need to buy any software except from an OS?
One other question? Which OS would be best? Is there much difference between Windows XP Home, Professional and Media Centre?
thegreatstupendo
One other question? Which OS would be best? Is there much difference between Windows XP Home, Professional and Media Centre?

Hello :smile:
Whats an OS?
xxxx
Personally, I find Media Centre a nice balence beteen home and pro (still has all the pro security/networking feature, but costs less)
Particuarly good if you get the remote control and a compatible TV card too.
nuclear_pavlova
Whats an OS?
xxxx

Operating System. Most people use Windows, some scary people like to use Mac OSX or Linux.
nuclear_pavlova
Whats an OS?
xxxx

Heeelo
It's an operating system.
xxx
PieMaster
Operating System. Most people use Windows, some scary people like to use Mac OSX or Linux.

ooh how embarressing! i should have known that considering I must be a scary person since im a Mac OSX girly myself! works like a dream :smile:
PieMaster
Personally, I find Media Centre a nice balence beteen home and pro (still has all the pro security/networking feature, but costs less)
Particuarly good if you get the remote control and a compatible TV card too.

Do you need to pay for a TV licence if your just watching on a PC via a TV Card?
You do, yeah.

Latest

Trending

Trending