The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
PieMaster's right. Better to learn how to build your own (how many times has that been posted in this thread?!)
sr4470
PieMaster's right. Better to learn how to build your own (how many times has that been posted in this thread?!)

Far too many :p: but it's the best advice we can give.
Perhaps someone should start a thread with pictures of how to assemble a basic PC from start to finish? :wink:

*I know that I'd use it. :redface:*
Reply 383
Angel Interceptor
Perhaps someone should start a thread with pictures of how to assemble a basic PC from start to finish? :wink:

*I know that I'd use it. :redface:*

I havent got a digital camera unfortunately.
Reply 384
In the light of the recent discovery that, to my horror, Overclockers have completely removed the graphics card I was considering, are there any more for a similar price.

PowerColor ATI Radeon X800 GTO 128MB for £58.69 inc VAT

I'm only really interested in 6600GTs or X800GTOs given the performance available at this price. Obviously has to be PCI-E as well.

The next cheapest card at this level that I can see appears to be a 6600GT for around £80.

Anyone spotted any more abnormally cheap cards at a similar performance??

p.s. The PC it will probably be in was posted by me a couple of pages back.

Cheers.
Reply 385
The 128mb GTO at £58 is still a bargain. I've seen 64-bit cards priced that high (7300GS).
Reply 386
sr4470
The 128mb GTO at £58 is still a bargain. I've seen 64-bit cards priced that high (7300GS).

WAS a bargain... it's not on the Overclockers website anymore... presumably discontinued.
Reply 387
Steezy20
WAS a bargain... it's not on the Overclockers website anymore... presumably discontinued.

Damn, I'm pretty sure it was there yesterday...

Edit: Try this Sapphire X800GTO 128MB@£60 on Ebuyer
Reply 388
sr4470
Damn, I'm pretty sure it was there yesterday...

Yeah, I think it was, but it's not today lol. All thats left similarly is the 256Mb version for bout £90, which I thought was a bit of a price hike, and also the 512Mb for over £100 (Think that one was called an X800 OTT, :wink:)
Reply 389
Steezy20
Yeah, I think it was, but it's not today lol. All thats left similarly is the 256Mb version for bout £90, which I thought was a bit of a price hike, and also the 512Mb for over £100 (Think that one was called an X800 OTT, :wink:)

I've edited my post above.:wink:
Reply 390
sr4470
I've edited my post above.:wink:

Ohhhhhh yes, I see it. There's always one of the 5 or so sites that I forget to look at lol. Can't seem to find any benchmark tests for it, so I'm only presuming that it's as good as the Powercolor one? Do the X800GTOs vary from the ATI base more than the 6600GTs do from the Nvidia ones?

*edit* 400MHz / 350MHz... that's not overly good is it?
Reply 391
Its £20 cheaper than the 6600GT, and will do better at higher resolutions and IQ settings. 350mhz isnt the effective DDR speed, by the way. (700mhz 256bit DDR = 22.4GB\sec memory bandwidth)
sr4470

I would love to be able to build my own but sadly it just seems a step to far for someone without huge knowledge of computers.

I think I'd probably be able to actually fit all the components together, but it's what you do when something goes wrong that worries me!

The lack of warranties and techical support doesn't help in that respect either!
Reply 393
needsadvice
I would love to be able to build my own but sadly it just seems a step to far for someone without huge knowledge of computers.

I think I'd probably be able to actually fit all the components together, but it's what you do when something goes wrong that worries me!

The lack of warranties and techical support doesn't help in that repsect either!

Wrong. Why do people think this? Every part has a warranty of some kind (even if it is just 12 months), and every manufacturer has (at the least) an email address for technical support. You can always consult forums (such as this one) for help too.
sr4470
Wrong. Why do people think this? Every part has a warranty of some kind (even if it is just 12 months), and every manufacturer has (at the least) an email address for technical support. You can always consult forums (such as this one) for help too.

I understand that, and this site seems a lot more useful that the average technical support line, but what could I do if something goes wrong and I don't know what it is (and the internet isn't working so I can't ask you guys)?

I'm sure it wouldn't be nearly as bad as I imagine, but there you go. Whenever I've had to sort out maor problems with our computers at home it has ended up working again, but a lot slower than it did before.

The other worry I have is not really knowing what's what in the world of computers; I understand all the basic things, CPU, RAM, HDD, Graphics Card etc, but I have no idea which are the brands and shops to use, and what is compatible with what.
In fact, that would be a really useful thread to have; components, which brands to use and which to look out for, and which companies to use.
Reply 396
As for support over the phone...at least BFG\Enermax et al wont redirect me to India when I need to sort out a broken part. :rolleyes:

Thus far, I've not had any problems with RMA'ing broken items, or dealing with failing ones (an Antec PSU blew up, and my email was quickly answered by a support rep who sent me a returns form to fill out).

As for a components thread, I may just make one...
Thanks, that'd be great. I ust have no idea which sites to look at, what proces I should be paying for things and which things I should be buying. I'd have thought a thread along the lines of:

Component:
High-Spec:
Medium:
Budget:
Information:

Would be really useful for anyone looking to self build.
Or just a list of all the different things you need!
Reply 399
I'm working on it, give me a chance...

Latest

Trending

Trending