The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

gezza08
new desktop for around £300
Hi im in the market for a new desktop pc, i would like to spend around £300 (may go a little higher for an absolute bargain etc)

not bothered about what OS its running (i have XP on CD anyway, although its not original and im not sure if it is 32bit or 64 bit...and ive heard that matters?!) i dont play many games etc but do like to stream and watch movies (although my laptop has blueray, so thats not important)

i would like it to have 4GB RAM though and obviously as fast a processor as possible, not sure if AMD or INTEL is better though?

not fussed about a huge HD and im sure even 320GB would be enough for me, as i dont download much music/films etc.

I do need a monitor, keyboard, mouse also....

i have been advised of the following two systems:

http://www.crystech.co.uk/Merchant2/...egory_Code=SYS

or

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176488

both come without a monitor or operating system, but which is the better and what would you go for.....

if there are any other suggestions id gladly look at them too.....thanks
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

right, i've never heard of that first company, and your link is dead.
also check to see what the price includes. the price you see excludes VAT, doesnt include a monitor or anything, and specs are pretty crap anyway.

if you are student, you can get windows 7 for £30.
as for a monitor that isnt utterly pants, i reckon this will cost at least £100

do you want to buy, or can you build?

also, just to note, its blu-ray
Im looking for a new laptop and have narrowed it down to these 2. & i know they are **** but i dont have 2 much 2 spend. Also dont know much about laptops. So i am going to have to make do. Which 1 is the better laptop?

Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor T4200
(2Ghz, 800Mhz, 1MB Cache)
link

Intel Celeron processor C900 (2.2Ghz, 800Mhz, 1MB Cache)
link

All i really need it for is browsing the internet and college work. Any help appreciated. thnx
Joshua_Harvey
Im looking for a new laptop and have narrowed it down to these 2. & i know they are **** but i dont have 2 much 2 spend. Also dont know much about laptops. So i am going to have to make do. Which 1 is the better laptop?

Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor T4200
(2Ghz, 800Mhz, 1MB Cache)
link

Intel Celeron processor C900 (2.2Ghz, 800Mhz, 1MB Cache)
link

All i really need it for is browsing the internet and college work. Any help appreciated. thnx

firstly, is your budget £350?

secondly, dont shop at pc world. as what you get for your money is poor, even for those refurbished models. even worse, the 2nd one only has a single core processor.

have a look on ebuyer for better deals:smile:

You can buy now and pay later with Dell too... By choosing Dell you can customise your own desktop. By far better value than crappy PC World.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/emea/topics/payment/personal_loan?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn
alexsheppard11
firstly, is your budget £350?

secondly, dont shop at pc world. as what you get for your money is poor, even for those refurbished models. even worse, the 2nd one only has a single core processor.

have a look on ebuyer for better deals:smile:

Wel i chose PC World because i know its reliable in the sense that i can send back damaged goods for repair. Is this ebuyer site the same. Also yh my budget is £350 although i would strech to £400 for a realy good deal.
Joshua_Harvey
Wel i chose PC World because i know its reliable in the sense that i can send back damaged goods for repair. Is this ebuyer site the same. Also yh my budget is £350 although i would strech to £400 for a realy good deal.

well all computers are sold with a warranty of a year as standard, sometimes more (e.g. some asus laptops have 2 years standard)
alexsheppard11
well all computers are sold with a warranty of a year as standard, sometimes more (e.g. some asus laptops have 2 years standard)

OK thnx that site is so much better. Glad i asked for advice instead of just going ahead and buying it.Also is there any store or something i can go to to collect the item or is it simply ordering.
Joshua_Harvey
OK thnx that site is so much better. Glad i asked for advice instead of just going ahead and buying it.Also is there any store or something i can go to to collect the item or is it simply ordering.

online, that is why its cheap
I ws planning on buying a laptop off of ebuyer.com after alexsheppard recommended it to me.I plan on buying 1 with no operating system as it will save money. Now i want to know which cd is needed to install this. I do presume it is the same cd i use to reboot my pc but though i should ask as it is quite expensive to buy later. here is the link If someone could link me to where i can find the cd needed i would appreciate it thnx.
Joshua_Harvey
I ws planning on buying a laptop off of ebuyer.com after alexsheppard recommended it to me.I plan on buying 1 with no operating system as it will save money. Now i want to know which cd is needed to install this. I do presume it is the same cd i use to reboot my pc but though i should ask as it is quite expensive to buy later. here is the link If someone could link me to where i can find the cd needed i would appreciate it thnx.

1. an OS install cd of your liking... it could be 7, vista, xp, linux
2. reboot means turn off and on
3. depends on the OS you buy as to how much it will cost

i think what you want to know is...
the laptop wont work without an OS
you could use linux, which is free, to get you going
or you will need a copy of windows
you can get windows 7 as a student for £30
or, if you have an unused license, you can use that, but you will need the OS on a cd to install it
I am buying a laptop from ebuyer.com and do not quite understand some things. Here is the link I am not sure if the is a card reader as some comments claimed there wasn't. Also is it wireless enabled. Normally i would know this myself but it does not use as simple terms as PC World. Also i know you may not be able to answer this but will there be a charger with it. I presume there must be but i think refunding is quite difficult after reading the terms and conditions so i just want to make sure. I have registered on their forums but i do not have access to make posts which seems weird. Any help would be appeciated although i presume i will have to wait untill alexsheppard is back online to get a response.
Joshua_Harvey
I am buying a laptop from ebuyer.com and do not quite understand some things. Here is the link I am not sure if the is a card reader as some comments claimed there wasn't. Also is it wireless enabled. Normally i would know this myself but it does not use as simple terms as PC World. Also i know you may not be able to answer this but will there be a charger with it. I presume there must be but i think refunding is quite difficult after reading the terms and conditions so i just want to make sure. I have registered on their forums but i do not have access to make posts which seems weird. Any help would be appeciated although i presume i will have to wait untill alexsheppard is back online to get a response.

i think there is a card reader. the comments repeatedly said there was no bluetooth.

yes, it does have 'normal' wireless

and as for the warranty, it would be through ebuyer as they sold it to you.
Joshua_Harvey

You know in situations like that you can always just take the model of the laptop and make and type it into google. Then you can read reviews on it, or more detailed product descriptions on sites like PC world if you prefer, before then returning to ebuyer to make the purchase...
Is Ebuyer.com reliable? Has anyone here experienced problems with returning products? I checked them out on wikipedia and it claimed that they had improved their customer service yet when you look at the reviews they get they are full of horror stories. I mean just look at these reviews http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews-all-1133.html
I guess i just want someone to reassure whether they are reliable or not by their own experiences.
Joshua_Harvey
Is Ebuyer.com reliable? Has anyone here experienced problems with returning products? I checked them out on wikipedia and it claimed that they had improved their customer service yet when you look at the reviews they get they are full of horror stories. I mean just look at these reviews http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews-all-1133.html
I guess i just want someone to reassure whether they are reliable or not by their own experiences.

ebuyer is amazing :biggrin:

i can only recall 2 issues i have had over many years:
1. after buying an HP laptop on a friday and asking for saturday delivery, because it doesnt come from the ebuyer warehouse but another supplier, it wasnt posted on friday and i had to wait until tuesday to get it. after contacting ebuyer, i had my £20 delivery charge refunded.
2. they put someone elses name in the emails i received:p:

normally, the postage is good. its cheap, and usually comes a day or 2 before it says (if you pick the 4/5 day services)
I use ebuyer, never had a problem with them. :smile:
I Ordered a laptop recently and had it delvered today. Only on the packaging it says notebook. I have not opened it up to see whether the label is wrong or not because i would have to break a security seal. I dont want to do that as i am worried it might prevent me from returning it. Here is the link for the laptop. link
The label on the box says:
HP Pavilion dv6-1210sa Notebook
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 Ql-65
Memory: 3072 (1 x 1024 MB + 1x 2048 MB)
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530
Hard Drive: 250 GB
Optical Drive: Lightscribe Super Multi DVD Writer
Communication: NIC + WLAN

Windows Vista Home Premium++Remote Control

I guess i could have stupidly ordered the notebook but after checking the site again they do label it as a laptop and not notebook. Now i dont know too much about the difference but i have always been advised in the past to get a laptop and not a notebook. Any help would be appreciated.
Joshua_Harvey
I Ordered a laptop recently and had it delvered today. Only on the packaging it says notebook. I have not opened it up to see whether the label is wrong or not because i would have to break a security seal. I dont want to do that as i am worried it might prevent me from returning it. Here is the link for the laptop. link
The label on the box says:
HP Pavilion dv6-1210sa Notebook
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 Ql-65
Memory: 3072 (1 x 1024 MB + 1x 2048 MB)
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530
Hard Drive: 250 GB
Optical Drive: Lightscribe Super Multi DVD Writer
Communication: NIC + WLAN

Windows Vista Home Premium++Remote Control

I guess i could have stupidly ordered the notebook but after checking the site again they do label it as a laptop and not notebook. Now i dont know too much about the difference but i have always been advised in the past to get a laptop and not a notebook. Any help would be appreciated.

notebook and laptop, to keep it simple, are the same:rolleyes:

you may be thinking of a netbook, which are about 10" laptops, with no optical drive and low powered processors.
i just want to know
what do i need to ask , what are the main things? its for gaming use like world of warcraft and creating logos and video layouts in dreamweaver

thanks for the help

Latest

Trending

Trending