The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well since its not going to be editing anything major you dont need to worry too much about the specification then.

I wouldnt pay any more than £400 for that PC - any more any you're bieng ripped off.

The celeron D's are truly awful processors, I swear theyre not actually any faster than the old pentium 3 based ones they replaced. With vista around the corner you might want to consider getting a slightly faster machine with a low-end graphics card so you dont have to replace it in a year or so time.

Whats your budget?
Reply 581
PieMaster
Well since its not going to be editing anything major you dont need to worry too much about the specification then.

I wouldnt pay any more than £400 for that PC - any more any you're bieng ripped off.

The celeron D's are truly awful processors, I swear theyre not actually any faster than the old pentium 3 based ones they replaced. With vista around the corner you might want to consider getting a slightly faster machine with a low-end graphics card so you dont have to replace it in a year or so time.

Whats your budget?

i said the other day around £400 i dont really wanna be paying more than £450 really coz i have a laptop to get fixed (which is possibly gonna cost since the hard drive is ****ed)
Reply 582
can i just ask ykno ur saying celeron d's are rubbish... would it be better than my "celeron" that i currently have tho?!
It'd probably perform about the same if you have one of the P3 based ones, they were resonably 'fast' (relativly).

Your laptop shouldnt cost too much to fix. Hell, you could do it yourself for £40 (depending on how big of a disk you want) - putting a new hard disk in and installing windows XP is a very simple task.

If youre on a budget, see if you can find a high-end Sempron or low-end AMD64 based machine. Both will be faster than a celeron at the same price point.
Reply 584
Right, I've been scared by the Unreal Tournament 2007 system requirements.

What would you say is good yet cheap RAM for this mobo?
MSI K9N NEO-F nF550 Socket AM2

I was thinking 2x this Corsair RAM maybe?

Whilst you're at it, is this mobo any good? It looks like it's got all the goodies. Don't know much about the NForce chipset version. If Im putting a PCI-E Gfx card in, will a ATX2.0 PSU be sufficient? If so, what are the ATX2.2 PSUs for?
Reply 585
I'm not going AM2....if anything, my graphics card needs replacing (X800XL). If you've already got an Athlon 64, focus on sorting out a decent graphics card.

Whats your current system and total budget?
Reply 586
Well you may have noticed that Ive been posting on this thread for a while now about a new PC, but I'm going to uni (hopefully) in the next academic year, so I'll have to sort out a new PC mid-late July.

I'd originally planned a skt 939 system, but I got all flustered about future-proofing and saw that the price of skt AM2 mobo, processor and RAM was actually a tenner cheaper.

Here's the original system I'd planned;

Motherboard Gigabyte K8N SLI nForce4
Processor AMD Athlon64 3500 Venice Retail Socket 939
RAM Corsair Value Select 2x512MB PC3200
Gfx Card DabsValue GF 7600GS 256MB DDR2 PCI-E DVI
HDD Samsung 160GB S300 7200RPM 8MB
DVD RW LG Electronics Super Multi DVD+-R/RW/RAM Dual Layer 16x IDE OEM
DVD ROM Samsung 16x DVD-ROM Beige
Case Casecom KB-7760 Black ATX Midi Tower Case - No PSU, No Case Fans Included
PSU Thermaltake PurePower TWV 430W ATX2.0 PSU (W0053) (CA-023-TT)

That comes to £388 inc VAT

However, i thought about buying the following AM2 stuff for £10 less than the 939 equivalent;

Mobo MSI K9N NEO-F nF550 Socket AM2
Processor AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Retail AM2
RAM Corsair Memory 512MB 240pin DIMM non-ECC unbuffered CL5 667MHz

*edit* whilst your at it, does anyone know how the hell I can search Google for mobo reviews without billions of results offering to compare the cheapest bloody price for them?
Steezy20
Well you may have noticed that Ive been posting on this thread for a while now about a new PC, but I'm going to uni (hopefully) in the next academic year, so I'll have to sort out a new PC mid-late July.

I'd originally planned a skt 939 system, but I got all flustered about future-proofing and saw that the price of skt AM2 mobo, processor and RAM was actually a tenner cheaper.

Here's the original system I'd planned;

Motherboard Gigabyte K8N SLI nForce4
Processor AMD Athlon64 3500 Venice Retail Socket 939
RAM Corsair Value Select 2x512MB PC3200
Gfx Card DabsValue GF 7600GS 256MB DDR2 PCI-E DVI
HDD Samsung 160GB S300 7200RPM 8MB
DVD RW LG Electronics Super Multi DVD+-R/RW/RAM Dual Layer 16x IDE OEM
DVD ROM Samsung 16x DVD-ROM Beige
Case Casecom KB-7760 Black ATX Midi Tower Case - No PSU, No Case Fans Included
PSU Thermaltake PurePower TWV 430W ATX2.0 PSU (W0053) (CA-023-TT)

That comes to £388 inc VAT

However, i thought about buying the following AM2 stuff for £10 less than the 939 equivalent;

Mobo MSI K9N NEO-F nF550 Socket AM2
Processor AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Retail AM2
RAM Corsair Memory 512MB 240pin DIMM non-ECC unbuffered CL5 667MHz

*edit* whilst your at it, does anyone know how the hell I can search Google for mobo reviews without billions of results offering to compare the cheapest bloody price for them?

I dont think you should take a performance hit just to have AM2.
Reply 588
Avoid Casecom - horribly cheap plasticy stuff, and the side panels are thin as paper.

Thermaltake are not a good power supply manufacturer - shell out that tenner more for a Seasonic, you wont regret it.

As for AM2, you're getting a lower-grade motherboard and less ram...

When will you next upgrade?
Reply 589
sr4470
Avoid Casecom - horribly cheap plasticy stuff, and the side panels are thin as paper.

Thermaltake are not a good power supply manufacturer - shell out that tenner more for a Seasonic, you wont regret it.

As for AM2, you're getting a lower-grade motherboard and less ram...

When will you next upgrade?

I'm not overly arsed about the case tbh. I only earmarked it because it reckoned it was steel instead of placky. 0.6mm SGCC... yes, that does seem a little on the thin side lol.

What about this PSU. 580W ATX2.2 for £52... made by Hiper (good/bad???). I was drawn to the Thermaltake because it comes with a display that lets you see how many Watts are being used and also control the fans.

I'll probably only upgrade it if either something goes knackered or I needed to for a game to play correctly. Given the state of the UT2k7 system requirements, I was just thinking that this may not be too far away.

*edit* for cases, I take it I need to avoid the wealth of cases that come with PSUs already in them?
Hiper are alright, not great. Theyre more of a novely brand than anything else.

FSP are solid brand - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Sparkle_Power_Supplies.html

as are Seasonic-
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Seasonic_Power_Supplies.html

For cases, look at any of the major bands, the consturction is far higher quality, so you dont get wobbly panels or razor sharp edges. They ususally have better fan mountings too allowing you use to use larger silent fans.

The exception to the rule of cases with power supplys are the Antec range-
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Antec_Cases.html

they come with resonable ones. I'm doing a SBS build this week with a NSK4400 (380w psu)
Reply 591
Ok, if you're going AM2, you may as well get an Nforce 570 board and take advantage of the additional features of the chipset..
Reply 592
Hi there, I'm still on my laptop hunt and I came across the COMPAQ PRESARIO V4308EA. Anyone know if it's any good? It has pretty much all I need.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1884757346.1150732081@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccffaddidimjdiicflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&sku=441873&tabIndex=1

Also, it says it has a HD screen, is that good or is it standard in laptops?

Thanks for your help.
Reply 593
Hm..only 2 USB ports, no firewire, very basic processor, virtually no software, and rubbish graphics\slow DVD burner. Other than that, its good.
and when did WXGA (1280x800 iirc) become HD?

Thats a scam making it sound like its HDTV capable, which it isnt - the resolution is too low and the grpahics chip would stand a chance.
Reply 595
PieMaster
It'd probably perform about the same if you have one of the P3 based ones, they were resonably 'fast' (relativly).

Your laptop shouldnt cost too much to fix. Hell, you could do it yourself for £40 (depending on how big of a disk you want) - putting a new hard disk in and installing windows XP is a very simple task.

If youre on a budget, see if you can find a high-end Sempron or low-end AMD64 based machine. Both will be faster than a celeron at the same price point.

see you'd think that about the laptop but its not simple at all... as it's ****ed and some idiot at fujitsu siemens decided that the xp disc should corresspond to the hard drive so the current hard drive which COULD be salvagable cant get xp on it... which then makes me think will getting a new hard drive make any difference really since the whole machine seems to like its original parts farrrrr too much! anyway i'm gonna bug some of the fujitsu siemens techs at work about it see if THEY can fix the bloody thing!

and you havent said whether it would be faster or not?! I have a celeron... i persume its the first celeron as it has no letters after it... would it be faster than that?!
Reply 596
PieMaster

Thats a scam making it sound like its HDTV capable, which it isnt - the resolution is too low and the grpahics chip would stand a chance.

don't you find many of the specs on the pc world website are WRONG tho lol
like it'll say for a laptop battery life - 0
and stupid things like that which make you think wtf?!

whoever is wanting it is probs best going in and baffling some 16 year old kid then asking for the manager...
dremmel
some idiot at fujitsu siemens decided that the xp disc should corresspond to the hard drive so the current hard drive which COULD be salvagable cant get xp on it... which then makes me think will getting a new hard drive make any difference really since the whole machine seems to like its original parts farrrrr too much!

Take it to an independant retailer, or if you know any computing science students they'd do it cheaply enough.

dremmel

and you havent said whether it would be faster or not?! I have a celeron... i persume its the first celeron as it has no letters after it... would it be faster than that?!

The 'celeron' brand started as failed versions of some of the P2's then leter on they became based on the P3 cores.

I'd assume the fact that its clocked so highly would bail it out a bit, but the Celeron D's were truly awful processors. It's likely to be faster than an older one, but not by as much as the clockspeed would make you think.
Reply 598
PieMaster

I'd hazard a guess at when they made 720p and 720i a "HD" resolution (1280x720) :wink:
Reply 599
PieMaster
Take it to an independant retailer, or if you know any computing science students they'd do it cheaply enough.

The 'celeron' brand started as failed versions of some of the P2's then leter on they became based on the P3 cores.

I'd assume the fact that its clocked so highly would bail it out a bit, but the Celeron D's were truly awful processors. It's likely to be faster than an older one, but not by as much as the clockspeed would make you think.

so would i be best off getting a pc with the same specs but with a AMD Sempron 3200+ Processor with 1.8ghz clock speed (which is the same as mine current 1... which is a celeron?!)

Latest

Trending

Trending