The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A.galloway
Ok, so I have been considering building a new computer for quite a while now, particularly for gaming considering my current laptop is terrible at it. I have looked at a few setups and have decided on a 2500k i5 and a 560ti. I just need a little help with other crucial components such as recommendations on motherboards, psu etc.
This is the idea that I have

link
please feel free to make suggestions.

ps. I have not included W7, although I need it I read that you can (possibly illegally) use the upgrade version on a bare system, comments on that too would help (i.e. feasibility, difficulty etc.)

Couple of things;
1) For the money you're spending you should probably get a slightly better motherboard.
2) Are you planning on overclocking? If yes, I'd advise getting a better CPU cooler - Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus is very popular - cheapest at expansys, I believe. Otherwise Corsair A50 is good. If no then you don't need a non-stock CPU cooler or the 2500K(2500 has same spec without ability to overclock).
3) Regarding case/PSU - you can save some money or get a better looking case by getting a combo from coolermaster (http://www.ebuyer.com/220862-coolermaster-cm690-ii-lite-with-coolermaster-gx-650w-psu-special-offer-bundle-rc-692-kka3 or http://www.ebuyer.com/250952-coolermaster-centurion-5-ii-special-edition-with-red-interior-with-coolermaster-rc-502-kwa1-jp if you want to stay with 650W) The 690ii is very well thought of.
4) Can you wait on the hard drive? Prices are very high right now and it might be worth waiting if you can.

Otherwise it seems fine. There are a couple of things on there I wouldnt get but it's your choice. (Xilence fan and Wireless network card)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by alexs2602
Couple of things;
1) For the money you're spending you should probably get a slightly better motherboard.
2) Are you planning on overclocking? If yes, I'd advise getting a better CPU cooler - Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus is very popular - cheapest at expansys, I believe. Otherwise Corsair A50 is good. If no then you don't need a non-stock CPU cooler or the 2500K(2500 has same spec without ability to overclock).
3) Regarding case/PSU - you can save some money or get a better looking case by getting a combo from coolermaster (http://www.ebuyer.com/220862-coolermaster-cm690-ii-lite-with-coolermaster-gx-650w-psu-special-offer-bundle-rc-692-kka3 or http://www.ebuyer.com/250952-coolermaster-centurion-5-ii-special-edition-with-red-interior-with-coolermaster-rc-502-kwa1-jp if you want to stay with 650W) The 690ii is very well thought of.
4) Can you wait on the hard drive? Prices are very high right now and it might be worth waiting if you can.

Otherwise it seems fine. There are a couple of things on there I wouldnt get but it's your choice. (Xilence fan and Wireless network card)

I was planning to over clock further down the line, and I can wait but it seems that it will quite a while for prices to drop to pre-flood levels. Also the the fan was simply an add-on with the case, and why would you not get the wireless card, if it is specifically that one what do you recommend.
Hey guys,

I have a budget of around 750 pounds and was looking at building a PC rather than buying one pre built.
I want to use it for the general microsoft office/internet browsing and casual gaming (steam etc).
If anybody could give me any advice as to what to look for and where that would be great.

Reply 6563
Original post by awais590
Hey guys,

I have a budget of around 750 pounds and was looking at building a PC rather than buying one pre built.
I want to use it for the general microsoft office/internet browsing and casual gaming (steam etc).
If anybody could give me any advice as to what to look for and where that would be great.

Do you need a monitor, keyboard and mouse?
Original post by SMed
Do you need a monitor, keyboard and mouse?

Yeah I probably would, but nothing expensive, probably have it wireless if possible.

Thanks. :tongue:
Hey guys. Spent some time lookin' into building myself a rig. I know my basics and have plenty of friends that're happy to advise, but there's no harm in getting some extra opinions. I'm hoping to invest so I have a high-end gaming rig that'll be future-proof but not unnecessary - note the 570 1.5GB rather than the 6970 2GB and the i5 2500k rather than the i7 2600k. Max budget is £1000, but I'm aiming at £900-950 with a 2ms 22-24" monitor. Thoughts on my list? Thanks.
Reply 6567
Original post by Xearo_Disaster
Hey guys. Spent some time lookin' into building myself a rig. I know my basics and have plenty of friends that're happy to advise, but there's no harm in getting some extra opinions. I'm hoping to invest so I have a high-end gaming rig that'll be future-proof but not unnecessary - note the 570 1.5GB rather than the 6970 2GB and the i5 2500k rather than the i7 2600k. Max budget is £1000, but I'm aiming at £900-950 with a 2ms 22-24" monitor. Thoughts on my list? Thanks.

I have that mobo, but if you're thinking future proofing, it's not a great mobo for dual-GPUing. I can't remember the next one up that is better for that, but I think it starts around £100.
Original post by Xearo_Disaster

Get a Gelid Tranquillo rev 2 instead of the ACF 13 pro. It's much better. Also get the low profile version of the corsair vengeance RAM as the normal version can have trouble fitting under the heatsink of third party CPU coolers. Otherwise good choices.

It would be nice to know if you're overclocking too as some items may be unnecessary if you aren't.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi guys, I´m thinking about upgrading my PC in order to make it a more suitable device for playing modern games. I found quite a lot of "Upgrading kits" on Amazon ( http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_7?__mk_de_DE=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=tronics24+aufr%FCstkit&sprefix=tronics%2Ccomputers%2C163#/ref=sr_st?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85Z%C3%95%C3%91&keywords=tronics24+aufr%C3%BCstkit&qid=1329053073&rh=n%3A340843031%2Ck%3Atronics24+aufr%C3%BCstkit&sort=-price )

I´ve thought about getting the one for 515€(http://www.amazon.de/Tronics24-Aufr%C3%BCstkit-i5-2500K-Quadcore-P8Z68-V/dp/B004RNPP38/ref=sr_1_10?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1329062163&sr=1-10) but I´ve still got a few questions.

1. Is that a good deal? If not is any of the other kits ,suited for gaming, a good deal?( I kind of lost touch with hardware prices over the last few years)

2. Which components would be left to replace in order to get my PC up to date if I chose said kit?

3. Is installing everything worth the trouble or do you know a place where I can get a complete and equally powerful system for a reasonable price?
I'll be overclocking the i5-2500k, yeah, otherwise I'd have used a stock heatsink and have only looked at the i5-2500. £15-odd quid to spend on something else. :P My general feeling is that if an upgrade is about as much as I'd be willing to spend post-build, might as well get it done now and save myself the money/hassle. What sort of problems have you had with that motherboard and crossfire/SLI? And I'll look into that heatsink, thanks. Is it about the same price? I wasn't sure what to do for a PSU/case, because I don't really care much about flashy LEDs or a super-powerful PSU. I'm hoping for some frontal headphone/mic/usb sockets, enough space for my hardware and a few decent fans but nothing too extreme.
Original post by Catilina
Hi guys, I´m thinking about upgrading my PC in order to make it a more suitable device for playing modern games. I found quite a lot of "Upgrading kits" on Amazon ( http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_7?__mk_de_DE=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=tronics24+aufr%FCstkit&sprefix=tronics%2Ccomputers%2C163#/ref=sr_st?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85Z%C3%95%C3%91&keywords=tronics24+aufr%C3%BCstkit&qid=1329053073&rh=n%3A340843031%2Ck%3Atronics24+aufr%C3%BCstkit&sort=-price )

I´ve thought about getting the one for 515€(http://www.amazon.de/Tronics24-Aufr%C3%BCstkit-i5-2500K-Quadcore-P8Z68-V/dp/B004RNPP38/ref=sr_1_10?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1329062163&sr=1-10) but I´ve still got a few questions.

1. Is that a good deal? If not is any of the other kits ,suited for gaming, a good deal?( I kind of lost touch with hardware prices over the last few years)

2. Which components would be left to replace in order to get my PC up to date if I chose said kit?

3. Is installing everything worth the trouble or do you know a place where I can get a complete and equally powerful system for a reasonable price?

Firstly; what's your current spec?
Secondly; are you looking to overclock?

You may or may not be able to reuse some of your current items. For now though a general list would be an i5-2500K, a Z68 mobo(gigabyte Z68AP-D3 or Asus P8Z68-V LX), 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM(corsair xms3 would be a good choice), a 500-550W power supply(corsair, OCZ, Coolermaster branded), a DVD drive, a Gelid tranquillo rev 2 CPU cooler and a case(Bit Fenix shinobi, Antec three hundred, Zalman Z9(normal or +))). If you have any money left over you could make adjustments.

Oh and a must; a 560Ti or 6970/6950
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by alexs2602
Firstly; what's your current spec?
Secondly; are you looking to overclock?

You may or may not be able to reuse some of your current items. For now though a general list would be an i5-2500K, a Z68 mobo(gigabyte Z68AP-D3 or Asus P8Z68-V LX), 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM(corsair xms3 would be a good choice), a 500-550W power supply(corsair, OCZ, Coolermaster branded), a DVD drive, a Gelid tranquillo rev 2 CPU cooler and a case(Bit Fenix shinobi, Antec three hundred, Zalman Z9(normal or +))). If you have any money left over you could make adjustments.

Oh and a must; a 560Ti or 6970/6950

These are the specs of my current PC (http://www.ehow.com/info_8178956_medion-8800-specs.html). I increased the RAM and changed the graphics card a few years ago, but those components are basically useless already anyway.

No, I´m not looking to overclock, at least not right away. I might do that later though instead of buying new stuff right away once the average gaming requirements go up again.

I coloured all of your suggestions that would be covered by the upgrade kit or that I already own green.

The Kit would also include a 550 Ti, is there a big (noticeable) difference between the 560 and the 550?

The amount of money I´m willing to spend depends on what I´m going to do.

Around 500€ if I´m just going for new parts

Between 700 and 800€ if I´m going to buy a new PC, but I don´t really know a shop which offers good value for money on complete PCs, I´d be thankful if you knew one. If the final decision ends up being a new PC I might also buy a new monitor. In the unlikely event that there is a good bundle available for a 1000€ or less, do tell me :wink: .
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6573
Any ideas for a freeview TV Tuner (preferably PCI) that's worth <20 quid?
Reply 6574
These are the specs of my current PC (http://www.ehow.com/info_8178956_medion-8800-specs.html). I increased the RAM and changed the graphics card a few years ago, but those components are basically useless already anyway.

No, I´m not looking to overclock, at least not right away. I might do that later though instead of buying new stuff right away once the average gaming requirements go up again.

I coloured all of your suggestions that would be covered by the upgrade kit or that I already own green.

The Kit would also include a 550 Ti, is there a big (noticeable) difference between the 560 and the 550?

The amount of money I´m willing to spend depends on what I´m going to do.

Around 500€ if I´m just going for new parts

Between 700 and 800€ if I´m going to buy a new PC, but I don´t really know a shop which offers good value for money on complete PCs, I´d be thankful if you knew one. If the final decision ends up being a new PC I might also buy a new monitor. In the unlikely event that there is a good bundle available for a 1000€ or less, do tell me :wink: .

Huge difference between the 550 Ti and 560 Ti.

Sup folks, not posted on here in ages.
I've got an interesting project :biggrin:

Mate of mine wants a PC he can fit under his coffee table that'll play any games he throws at it and handle high-end simulation work (needs serious CPU power).
Budget is about £1500.

This is what I have in mind:
http://i40.tinypic.com/11uhrvn.png
From what I've seen there might be clearance issues with the corsair rad, so I'm throwing in one of these just in case:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scythe-Slip-Stream-Slim-SY1212SL12L/dp/B002A97IIG

There's still room in the budget for a wireless mouse/keyboard but I'm not going to bother speccing that because it's all down to preference really...

Thoughts?

Definitely worth the extra money getting the 560Ti, and if you can afford it get the 2GB one as well.

I have an MSI 2GB 560Ti which is great value for money even on stock clocks. It's incredibly good for overclocking as well; by far the best investment I've made recently.
Reply 6577
Original post by Keckers
Definitely worth the extra money getting the 560Ti, and if you can afford it get the 2GB one as well.

I have an MSI 2GB 560Ti which is great value for money even on stock clocks. It's incredibly good for overclocking as well; by far the best investment I've made recently.

I'd only get the 2GB one if you plan on going on crossfire. the 560Ti only needs 1GB RAM, maybe 2GB if you're playing at some insane resolution (2560x1600, 5760x1080 etc).
Reply 6578
Original post by TShadow383
Sup folks, not posted on here in ages.
I've got an interesting project :biggrin:

Mate of mine wants a PC he can fit under his coffee table that'll play any games he throws at it and handle high-end simulation work (needs serious CPU power).
Budget is about £1500.

This is what I have in mind:
http://i40.tinypic.com/11uhrvn.png
From what I've seen there might be clearance issues with the corsair rad, so I'm throwing in one of these just in case:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scythe-Slip-Stream-Slim-SY1212SL12L/dp/B002A97IIG

There's still room in the budget for a wireless mouse/keyboard but I'm not going to bother speccing that because it's all down to preference really...

Thoughts?

Replace the HD 6950 with the GTX 560 Ti. they're around same-ish performance but the 560 Ti is cheaper.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-msi-gtx-560ti-oc-twin-frozr-ii-40nm-4200mhz-gddr5-gpu-880mhz-shader-1760mhz-384-cores

Other than that, the rest of the system seems good.
Original post by xAres
I'd only get the 2GB one if you plan on going on crossfire. the 560Ti only needs 1GB RAM, maybe 2GB if you're playing at some insane resolution (2560x1600, 5760x1080 etc).

More and more games now are using 1GB RAM at 1080p and in the future the amount of RAM used by games is only going to increase.

According to afterburner I've gone over 1GB of used RAM while playing BF3 and GTA IV among other games.

Latest

Trending

Trending