The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
hi i was wondering if anyone could suggest a latop to come under a budget of £800. i have got my eye on a MacBook but some information would be excellent. i am going to study business studies not sure if that helps.

Thanxs xxxxxxxxx Bobbyj :confused:
bobbyj
hi i was wondering if anyone could suggest a latop to come under a budget of £800. i have got my eye on a MacBook but some information would be excellent. i am going to study business studies not sure if that helps.

Thanxs xxxxxxxxx Bobbyj :confused:

For someone about to undertake a business degree, you aren't showing much in the way of financial prudence. An iBook, or any Apple product for that matter, gives you terrible value for money. Get a simple, cheap Dell lappy. I assume that by thinking about getting a mac, you aren't considering gaming at all, so a cheap little laptop will work out far cheaper in the long run, as when it becomes obsolete, its only £400-500 that will have served you well for your university course, whereas when a Mac goes obsolete, it's an £800 paperweight.
Apple make you pay for the "stunning good looks". WHO GIVES A TOSS, it's a computer, not a handbag. I hate Dell, but I'd recommend them every time if it was a choice between them and Apple.
Reply 782
hi i was wondering if anyone could help suggest a laptop for a person with an £800 budget. i have got my eye on a MacBook. but some other opinions would be great cheers.
Just get a second hand Dell Pentium 3 laptop for under £200, and an extra battery for about £30 on eBay - that'll give you a good 6 hours of life between charges.
Reply 784
Just a quick one telling everyone about pcoption.co.uk

Oh dear....they have let me down so much. I ordered a new system on the 19th and it still has not come! I emailed them asking whats happening and then they said it will be despatched on thursday. It wasw not here on the friday and I emailed again asking whatg was going on. They said it would be dispatched on the friday afternoon and that I should email back at about 4pm to get some tracking codes. I emailed back at 4pm and no-one has emailed back yet.

Argh, it shouldnt be like this. I just thought Id warn everyone about using pcoption.co.uk

Ben Fox
Reply 785
Have they taken payment?
bobbyj
hi i was wondering if anyone could help suggest a laptop for a person with an £800 budget. i have got my eye on a MacBook. but some other opinions would be great cheers.

Bobbyj, I don't appreciate being blatently ignored :mad: You can sod off if you're going to do that.
Reply 787
sr4470
Have they taken payment?

Yeah they have.
binj112
Yeah they have.

Have you phoned them up? There could have been issues because of the weather - power cuts etc. I'm sure theres a good explanation for the delay, it's not often that smaller PC OEMs deliberately can't be arsed to fulfil an order - it would be too damaging to their reputation.
Reply 789
Hi, I'm going to be studying CompSci in York this coming year and was wondering which site/shop and which pc specs you'd recommend. :smile:
Heya, I need a PC for university. i intend to use it for gaming, watching dvds, and word processing. I've found this base unit for £500 : http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?ProductCode=3361-3401

A 19" monitor, mouse and keyboard can cost me £180? so its £680 for the total cost of the system. Should I bother, or will it be possible to build a cheaper one from scratch? I would like to spend £600 roughly, and would like to have the ability to upgrade my PC later on.
Reply 791
Looks good. But you can get a better monitor elsewhere:

Viewsonic VA902 @ Dabs
Reply 793

Its outdated, overpriced, you get no monitor. I'm no computer science student, but don't you need something with a bit more power, possibly a dual core system? Why not build your own? It'll cost a lot less than buying one ready built.

I wouldnt buy anything wth a pentium 4 in it. Id be looking at a pc with AMD Athlon 64 instead if you plan on going single core.
ghost101
I wouldnt buy anything wth a pentium 4 in it. Id be looking at a pc with AMD Athlon 64 instead if you plan on going single core.

whats wrong with pentium 4?
Reply 796
yeahyeahyeahs
whats wrong with pentium 4?

For general office applications its fine. However its old technology, runs hot and noisy, not dual core like the new generation of CPUs. Its down to the user though at the end of the day.
What do you guys think of this system (link below)? I asked the seller a question and told him to get rid of the speakers + mouse + keyboard and that I would pay him a little bit more to get a 7900GTX instead of the 7300GS or is it not worth it? Any advice would be appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&item=190014465837&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Also I know 7900 has come out, does this mean that "8" series is coming out pretty soon?
Cataclysm
What do you guys think of this system (link below)? I asked the seller a question and told him to get rid of the speakers + mouse + keyboard and that I would pay him a little bit more to get a 7900GTX instead of the 7300GS or is it not worth it? Any advice would be appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&item=190014465837&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Also I know 7900 has come out, does this mean that "8" series is coming out pretty soon?

How much more are you paying for the 7900GTX? IMO, the 7900GTX is overpriced and the 7900GT may be a better option. A 7900GTX costs ~£320 while a 7900GT ~£180. The performance increase is nowhere near the price difference of 75%.

The G80 nvidia cards, probably gonna be called 8xxx cards were supposed to comeout August/September period, but it looks like they are going to get delayed. Not sure by how much.
Well I said that I was willing to go upto around £560ish but nothing more -- he hasn't replied. But is it worth it?

Latest

Trending

Trending