The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Heyy =]
Im getting a new computer and im just not sure whether to get it now or wait until after christmas?
This is it:

Intel Pentium D820 Processor
2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB Cache
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center
1GB DDR RAM
200GB Hard Disk Drive
Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD RW Drive
512MB nVidia GeForce 7300LE Graphics
8-In-1 Media Card Reader
Vista Premium Upgrade Included
19" Widescreen TFT Monitor

Its between £549/639
[depending on what make of monitor and stuff....]
What do you think?
sr4470
No problems as far as I know.

are you crazy?
Reply 1342
HenvY
are you crazy?

Nope. But then I've used them about twice, so...
well shaunce hearts i think its a bit fo a rip off, for thast price just put in a bit of money and go up to a core 2 duo, entry range if you have to but performance boost will be huge. you could spend a little bit on graphics such as invest a good 70 pounds into a 7600, much better performance.
Reply 1344

Its between £549/639
[depending on what make of monitor and stuff....]
What do you think?

It might be good... the processor's a tad naff. Do you have a link to the full spec? Things like the monitor and RAM brand might make it better value for money (I'm prepared to bet that they're unbranded unstable stuff).
What are you planning on doing with the computer?
Over priced if you ask me

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=155861

edit: neither are ideal for games btw as their graphics cards are crap. And as has been said, for a tiny bit more you can go amd x2 or core 2 duo.
How about this, just get rid of the warranty

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&oc=D11E12

Cheapest 4200+/E6300 around. However, you just have to remember if the PSU or motherboard goes bust outside of the warranty period, youre truly ****ed.

edit: actually, change that to motherboard only. Ive just remembered that Dell use standard PSUs now.
Oooh. That one is pretty good.

Hmmm. I wish there werent so many different things you could have.
Would be much simpler [but much craper too i suppose.]
Reply 1349
Dell suck. I've spent the best part of a day fixing one only for the CD\DVD drives to randomly fail...not to mention their support is ****. C'mon, the Indian guy on the other end of the line kept asking questions about me instead of dealing with my warranty request.:rolleyes: I've had similar experiences trying to fix several others.
sr4470
Dell suck. I've spent the best part of a day fixing one only for the CD\DVD drives to randomly fail...not to mention their support is ****. C'mon, the Indian guy on the other end of the line kept asking questions about me instead of dealing with my warranty request.:rolleyes: I've had similar experiences trying to fix several others.

Lol, oh cmon. They use your normal LG/Samsung or whatever CD/DVD drives.

As for indian call centres, yeh its annoying but pretty much everyone is gonna do that eventually.
ghost101

As for indian call centres, yeh its annoying but pretty much everyone is gonna do that eventually.

edit: why were you phoning their support line anyway? If its in warranty, just ask them to repair it, if its not there isnt much theyre gonna do. If you dont want to do anything yourself just refuse to and ask them to collect the item and repair it.
Reply 1352
ghost101

Samsung and a Sony, both breaking simultaneously...hmmm :rolleyes:

I'll try calling about the warranty again tomorrow...
Reply 1353
darth_vader05
^^^ would you say that its worth £600?

Considering its a laptop, yes.
ok so i had this idea, just would like to know if its flawed. basically i have a computer packard Hell, it came with windows home edition, but thing is i reformatted the damn thing and i had no reinstallaion CD, so just wondering, is there anyway that i can get a XP home CD and use teh old serial? i assume that this code is unique? but it will be on my new computer as the packard bell one gave up and something blew on it. will it work? i know that microsoft have all these funky ways of telling if you have a multiple key or whatever just want to know if this will work. also where can i get a xp home CD? torrent?
Reply 1355
Technically you could download XP Home from Microsoft and use the serial that came with the PB machine to make it fully functional and activated...
i have beenon the windows site, it doesnt seem to be working, also has anyone tried to do this? is it really one serial to one computer? apart from peopl with pirate stuff?
Reply 1357
Dr Shrestha
is it really one serial to one computer?

Yes.
Reply 1358
right. my old computer has bit the dust. after months of spluttering, coughing, and general malfunctions, it is now refusing to turn on. it looks like something has died on the motherboard. so, i thought it might be time to move on, especially considering the imminent release of vista, which im sure we'll all use in the end, no matter how crappy the first releases are.

i thought i'd ask in here considering i haven't really kept up to speed with recent developments with regard to p.c hardware, and i was kind of hoping you guys could give me a crash course in what would mix best with what!

im looking for a desktop base unit - i have a nice lg monitor and a perfectly adequate keyboard/mouse etc that i used with the old pc. i'm reasonably well versed in the workings of p.c's both inside and out, so id welcome self-build suggestions. having said that, i'd rather do as little building as i can if i can avoid it.

if i'm honest, i'm not a power user of any sort really. i use my p.c for listening to music (i have a lot of music/videos that i will be moving across to the new computer), watching videos (a gfx card with an s-video out would be a bonus, as my last one connected up to my tv this way and i found it much nicer to watch videos on the tv itself), and photography - mostly photoshop, i have just got a new d-slr, so the image sizes im working with are pretty large, and i quite fancy getting into RAW and all that guff. so i guess that will be pretty intense for the p.c.

finally, i'm open to suggestions between 0 and 700 pounds i reckon....um. any suggestions?
Reply 1359
Most pre-built PCs in that price range will lack any decent graphics capability.

Are you willing and able to build your own?

Latest

Trending

Trending