The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
There are? I might hold off my new graphics card purchase then. Might.
AGP cards are not significantly more expensive than AGP cards. The top of the range AGP cards are ~£150.
Ok, just want an opinion what do you think about such a configuration (from Dell):

Inspiron E1505
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5600 (1.83GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
15.4 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen SXGA+ Display with TrueLife™
2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHZ, 2 DIMM
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7300 TurboCache*
120GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N
85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)
estel
There are? I might hold off my new graphics card purchase then. Might.
AGP cards are not significantly more expensive than AGP cards. The top of the range AGP cards are ~£150.

mean PCIe?

else your post doesn't make any sense :p:
Reply 1783
domisakin
Off to uni next year. Want the portability of a laptop, and a monstrous gaming machine on a relatively tight budget. What do you think of the Inspiron 9400? Also, when do you reckon is the best time to purchase one?

best time would be end august/start of september; thats when all the back to school and other deals come out :wink:
Reply 1784
Hi, i'm new to this business but was thinking of making myself a new pc and was wondering what people thought of it. Any non compatability issues? etc.

One question - how many spare PCI slots will i have left? or can i fit all these in? i.e. any space for wireless cards?

Do i need graphic card cooling?

see what you think

Motherboard - Asus 680i Striker Extreme
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
RAM - OCZ DDR2 PC2-8000 Titanium Alpha VX2
PSU - be quiet Dark Power Pro 850w PSU
Graphics - Asus EN8800GTX (times 2)
Cooling - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Heatsink
Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB (times 2)
Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Case - Antec P180 Mid Tower Case

Cheers

Rich
Reply 1785
mean PCIe?

Errr... yes :s

One question - how many spare PCI slots will i have left? or can i fit all these in? i.e. any space for wireless cards?

Do i need graphic card cooling?

That looks nice, is a pretty slick looking motherboard :redface:
No, I don't think you'll need cooling for your graphics cards, which come with some pretty hefty heatsinks and stuff built in.
That particular motherboard comes with 4 PCI-e slots and 2 PCI slots. From those components, that should give you one spare PCI slot and two spare PCIe slots.

That sound card looks like utter overkill, but whatever floats your boat :P
Reply 1786
Thanks

Sound card - i'm a music person so this pc will be for music programs as well as games.

Yes i did mean PCIe.

The graphics cards actually take up 2 slots physically so i guess that leaves me with one PCI slot for a wireless card.

Cheers rich.

Anymore thoughts welcome
Time for me to ask about upgrading...Current Specs:

AMD 64 3200+ (Skt 939)
Ga-K8NXP-Sli mobo
1Gb RAM (2 x 512Mb Elixir PC3200)
Inno3D 6600 256Mb PCIe
Creative Audigy 4
120Gb and 160Gb HDD (IDE)
Liteon DVD writers (one is +/- RW, other is RAM as well - 18x DVD+/-R)
Dell 17" CRT and Compaq 17" CRT monitors...
Watercooling - Thermaltake Bigwater kit with Zalman Graphics block (rev 1)

I've got about £300 to spend on an upgrade.
Currently looking at getting a Leadtek 7900GS and X2 4200+ from ebuyer.com and then upgrading my cooling rig to a 1/2" system (XSPC DIY kit and an ep block I think)...
Any Recommendations?
hi there is this motherboard and this CPU compatible, heard a bad review of the motherboard but the processor seems efficient. are there any better for that price range? (fo rMotherboard and Processor! thanks guys :smile:

Gigabyte S775 Intel 945P ATX GLAN Audio
£54.20
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=49MP&CategorySelectedId=11143&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11143,4294959071,48760000

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Socket 775 1.86GHz
£106.99
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=44HB&CategorySelectedId=11147&NavigationKey=11147,4294958803
yep, they're compatible, and there's nothing wrong with the gigabyte S3.
are there any AMD competitions with the Core2?
not for the price core 2 is at, no. AMD's equivalent stuff is more expensive, so it's more common sense to go with core 2.
Reply 1792
Hi,

Just wondering if people could comfirm that OCZ DDR2 PC2-8000 Titanium Alpha VX2 ram would be compatible with an Asus 680i Striker Extreme Motherboard?

Thanks

Rich
Reply 1793
I'm 99% sure it is. You don't get much of a newer and better mobo than that.
estel
I'm 99% sure it is. You don't get much of a newer and better mobo than that.

:ditto:

I, persoanlly, haven't heard anything to the contrary of them working together.
Again, upgrade tips on my current rig?

Gigabyte Ga-K8NXP-SLi
AMD64 3200+
2 x 512Mb Elixir PC3200 CL3
Inno3D Geforce 6600 256Mb
Creative Audigy 4
Ga-GPKG wireless adapter (54G)

What would you recommend upgrading with a £200 budget?

I'm not really gonna be able to afford any of the DX10 games when they come out and have looked at some reviews and the 8 series Nvidia cards and looking like a good investment atm...
I'm into gaming, mainly the likes of BF2, Americas Army, HL2, CS:s-smilie:, UT2004
Reply 1796
Ok here is the deal:

I am going to college in August and I want a new laptop. I currently have a powerful desktop which I will sell. I want a powerful laptop for college which will last a few years, I want a gaming system powerful enough to run new games coming out in the next 18 months. My plan was to wait for the geforce 8 series to come out for laptops but they would need to come out before august. I just realized that when they come out for laptops they are going to be the lower end 8400/8600 and for the 8800 to come for laptops it will take a while so I was wondering and think it's actually true, if a set up with 7950 GTX in SLI would not be much more powerful. But I am still in doubts with dx10 issues.

Laptops in SLI are very pricey with 2.93 GHz CPUs so I was thinking about a single 7950 GTX with a 2.33 GHz would be a good rig which would last about 2 years with performance demanding games. I think a set up with Dual 7950 GTXs would as outdated in 2 years as a system with a single 7950 GTX. I am leaving aside graphic upgradability.
What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks.
which PSU would you guys recommend for abotu £50? i dont know much abotu comptuers!
Bleached
which PSU would you guys recommend for abotu £50? i dont know much abotu comptuers!

What has it got to run?

Latest

Trending

Trending