The Student Room Group

Studying at a University in Europe.

Seeing as this is a british university forum it probably isn't the best place to as, but hopefully there will be some knowledgeable people out there.

I'm applying for Chinese and German (see in sig) to english universities. Obviously as part of these degrees there would be a year abroad but I have been thinking about at least researching the possibility of going to University in Germany or Austria.

I know they have a different kind of degree system, but so far any searching has been rather fruitless and either aimed at US students or international exchange programmes.

So any information that anyone has or links to useful websites is appreciated.
Reply 1
As far as I'm aware, Britain is in europe
nofish4u
As far as I'm aware, Britain is in europe

I think they mean mainland Europe.
Reply 3
CitizensUnited
I think they mean mainland Europe.

No way?
Reply 4
fortunecookie
Seeing as this is a british university forum it probably isn't the best place to as, but hopefully there will be some knowledgeable people out there.

I'm applying for Chinese and German (see in sig) to english universities. Obviously as part of these degrees there would be a year abroad but I have been thinking about at least researching the possibility of going to University in Germany or Austria.

I know they have a different kind of degree system, but so far any searching has been rather fruitless and either aimed at US students or international exchange programmes.

So any information that anyone has or links to useful websites is appreciated.

I've had the same problem. i've been looking into going to a Spanish university but it has been a nightmare getting the information that i need.......mainly because no teachers/tutors/career advisor seem to think that it is something worth considering :frown: Going to uni in Germany rather than Britain will save you an absoloute fortune, good plan :top:
Reply 5
I don't get the connection of German with Chinese. Why this choice?
Reply 6
Jamjar

Strong trade links.

Also from a friend I have heard that many rich people in Hong Kong want nannies for their babies to teach them a different language, and German is more sought after than English (although this may be because they assume English is taught at school anyway etc.).

So there is a link for sure.

At OP - most german university courses are in German - do you feel you would cope?

http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/diplo/de/Infoservice/FAQ/Studium/04-AuslandssemesterDeutschland.html

this might be mroe helpful, it is the FAQ's in English

http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/diplo/en/Infoservice/FAQ/Studium/Uebersicht.html
(edited 13 years ago)
Jamjar

Well if I was studying in Germany/Austria my subject choices would probably be different.
But in the UK, I would do German as I do it at A-Level and love it.
Chinese wise, I do it at GCSE at the moment and don't want to give that up either.

It's not the natural choice! There isn't a real link to be honest but it makes sense to continue what I know I like, instead of picking up another ab initio language instead of Chinese.
danny111
Strong trade links.

Also from a friend I have heard that many rich people in Hong Kong want nannies for their babies to teach them a different language, and German is more sought after than English (although this may be because they assume English is taught at school anyway etc.).

So there is a link for sure.

At OP - most german university courses are in German - do you feel you would cope?

http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/diplo/de/Infoservice/FAQ/Studium/04-AuslandssemesterDeutschland.html

this might be mroe helpful, it is the FAQ's in English

http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/diplo/en/Infoservice/FAQ/Studium/Uebersicht.html

Thanks. This is pretty much the exact information I've been searching for!
To be honest I'm not sure about the level of German.
What has made me consider this is visiting SOAS yesterday, seeing the number of international students and thinking, 'If they can study abroad, why can't I?'
Obviously I will be getting the year abroad within a degree here, but this could be an alternative route.

Can I ask, are you an international student/german or simply a helpful person, who can use google well?
Reply 9
fortunecookie
Thanks. This is pretty much the exact information I've been searching for!
To be honest I'm not sure about the level of German.
What has made me consider this is visiting SOAS yesterday, seeing the number of international students and thinking, 'If they can study abroad, why can't I?'
Obviously I will be getting the year abroad within a degree here, but this could be an alternative route.

Can I ask, are you an international student/german or simply a helpful person, who can use google well?

If you use Goolge.de you will find much more helpful stuff in German than searching it in .co.uk

Well using German words as well. Basically I went to it, and started typing 'studieren in deutschland als aus' and the 'ausländer was already suggested and it was one of the top links :smile: the english version i just found the equivalent page after pressing English at the top.

I am german but i study in UK, 3rd year undergraduate (and lived here since 2005).
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending