The Student Room Group

Where should I study Architecture?

I want to study architecture and can't decide where I would like to go for my bachelors degree.
I am from the UK and would like to study in Europe or the UK but not America. I am interested in well planned urbanism which is partly why I am deterred from America due to their awfully planned, car dominated infrastructure. I like new classical architecture which is why I am keen to study in Europe in a city which is walkable and pretty. The language taught is not a problem as I am proficient in multiple languages and learn new languages quickly.

I am studying product design, French, and economics for my A levels.

Some universities I have identified are:

UCL
Manchester
Edinburgh
TU Delft
ETH Zurich
Politecnico di Milano
KTH Stockholm

I am unsure as to how much rankings matter for architecture courses and would really appreciate any advice you can provide including course recommendations in Europe and the UK. I think that the city and country which I study in are an important factor as I want to be immersed in culture and interesting architecture.
Original post by JWAP816
I want to study architecture and can't decide where I would like to go for my bachelors degree.
I am from the UK and would like to study in Europe or the UK but not America. I am interested in well planned urbanism which is partly why I am deterred from America due to their awfully planned, car dominated infrastructure. I like new classical architecture which is why I am keen to study in Europe in a city which is walkable and pretty. The language taught is not a problem as I am proficient in multiple languages and learn new languages quickly.

I am studying product design, French, and economics for my A levels.

Some universities I have identified are:

UCL
Manchester
Edinburgh
TU Delft
ETH Zurich
Politecnico di Milano
KTH Stockholm

I am unsure as to how much rankings matter for architecture courses and would really appreciate any advice you can provide including course recommendations in Europe and the UK. I think that the city and country which I study in are an important factor as I want to be immersed in culture and interesting architecture.

If you want to work as an architect in the UK in the future, then choosing a ARB/RIBA accredited/validated course is important. You will need to investigate if studying overseas will meet the ARB's criteria for registering as an architect in the UK.

Don't get hung up on league tables. The best way to decide if a course is right for you is to attend open days and look at the work being produced by students, the facilities, the city, etc. If you can't manage this, search online for the end-of-year degree shows.

The following thread lists the entry requirements for RIBA validated courses in the UK:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710
Do you actually want to become a registered practicing architect?
If so then your priority should be in working out where you want to work and then from that find which qualifications are recognised for registration in that country.

For example for UK practice then you need either RIBA parts 1,2 and 3 or "A qualification in architecture which is covered by the EU Professional Qualifications Directive" plus to be registered as an architect in the country studies in plus 2 years experience. If you study outside the EU then you have to apply for membership through the Member Eligibility Assessment Panel. https://www.architecture.com/join-riba/individual-chartered-membership

I don't think I'd describe London as "walkable and pretty" personally
Another option to see student work is to look at the nominees for prizes like https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/aj-student-prize-2022-nominees-revealed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending