The Student Room Group
My grades aren't good enough to get me anywhere I want to go, don't want to leave my friends because I find it hard to make new ones and can't afford it anyway.
OP, this website is 'the student room'. The majority of that 50% who arent going/wont go will not be on this site as the site is targeted at students.

Not all people have academic ability sufficient to go to uni, and that is taking the fact that you dont need that much academic ability for some uni courses.
Reply 3
- I can't afford it
- I'm not sure what career I want to do
- I'm not scared of the prospect of being poor and having no job if I don't go
Reply 4
I'm at uni now (I'm 23) but didn't have any interest when I was 18. Reasons were as follows:
- Had a great job and a fab social life that came with it, a very similar social life to the one I would have had at uni, lots of partying and drinking and as it was seasonal work I was always meeting new people.
- Had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and didn't see the point of a degree if it wasn't going to take me anywhere.
- Didn't want to get into unnecessary debt if I didn't even want the degree.
- Had been in education since the age of 5 so 13/14 years (I have a september birthday so would have been 19 on going to uni) and didn't have the motivation for study anymore.

That was probably about it, it wasn't the right decision for me at the time. I've just started uni at 23 doing something I definitely want to do which is good because it's hard work and it becomes quickly obvious if you're not motivated about your subject. The only downside for me at this age is that I'm just not that interested in the stereotypical uni social life which can make it difficult. I feel like I've been there and done it already.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
At a young age I was intimidated by all the work involved and how little help you get. From that I was adamant that I wouldn't want to go to university, though I changed my mind at about 15 :lol:
I did not want to go at all until 18/19 and was sure of what I wanted to study. I also needed a break from education!!
I am at uni, but before finding this course and career, I didn't want to go to uni. I just didn't enjoy studying anything enough to justify leaving my friends and family behind, putting myself through the stress of eduction voluntarily, live in abominable conditions for three years and all to go into a job I probably wouldn't have enjoyed anyway. May as well do that at eighteen, and get a three year headstart.
Reply 8
I withdrew from university last year. The reasons for this, besides general unhappiness, were:
- Studying Psychology, it's highly competitive anyway, and to become a professional psychologist, you need to put years and years of study in, so I started to question whether a) I'd even get a job at all and b) could I really spend at least 7 years in full time education. It was too much time and money to have these massive doubts.
- Reflecting now, I don't think I had the right personality type to be a psychologist anyway. I don't think it would have ever suited me, and I don't believe that I'd have enjoyed the career.
- Now in a full time job, I much prefer vocational learning. I think you develop more skills and gain more knowledge by being thrown in the deep end.
- Life is too short! I think I'd just had enough eventually of writing ridiculous length essays and just reading from books, rather than practising the skills.

I don't regret a single thing about withdrawing :smile: It's made my life so much better!!
How i wish im at uni now. :cry2:
the epic amount of debt involved is the sole reason putting me off uni
I also just started university at the age of 23. Didn't go when I was 18 because:

- I only got one offer, which I declined.
- Didn't wholeheartedly want to study that subject and didn't know what I really did want to study
- I wanted to be a musician and work on my music first
- Wasn't ready to leave home and dealing with personal problems

Best decision I ever made.

Latest

Trending

Trending